KTMRider4Life

Suzuki Disbanding US R&D

25 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

I never said I get to decide for others, I stated my experience.  Even my KX500 doesn't bother me for MX, I spent several hours in the sand dunes with it and had some fatigue from the vibration.  It is my opinion that the CB doesn't have a huge benefit in a 250 2-stroke for 20 minute MX motos.

What I actually said is this:

However while the Motorcycle Industry Council says sales are slightly up, other sources say they are down in the US.

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2020/04/28/united-states-motorcycles-market/

An excerpt:

New Motorcycles sales figures in the United States peaked in 2006 over 1.1 million units (including ATVs) and took a huge hit with 2008’s financial crisis, which saw them plummet to less than half that figure. As the stock markets have recovered, bike sales have recovered marginally during the 2010-2012 and then stayed absolutely stagnant. Worse still, it seems that the sector is being propped up by an aging demographic, with precious few youngsters entering the mix with recent years figures moderately declining while over 500cc motorcycles segment lose terrain partially balanced by the smaller displacement and scooter growth.

In US, the ATV segment has always been very relevant and the country is the home base for the top global player like Polaris, BRC (Can-Am) and Arctic Cat. These three, together with Honda and Yamaha represents the 90% of global and national sales. The ATV market in the last years declined from 230.000 units in the 2012 to a 2019 projection of 203.000.

Looking only at the motorcycles segment, in 2003 only about one-quarter of U.S. motorcycle riders were 50 or older. By 2014, it was close to half. The market has been cruising on a demographic that may only be able to buy one more bike and the trend is not changing.

Up until 2017 the 250 SX was inferior to Japanese bikes from a decade prior.  In 2016 MXA 250 2T shootout picked the YZ over the SX and TC.  Since then they've added a CB and some better forks.  So I bought one, a 2018 TC250.  I've compared it to a 2005 CR250, and my 2013 CRF450 by riding them back to back.  I did it with my KX500AF too.  The TC isn't horrible, but it isn't really any better than a 2005 bike with updated suspension and oversize rotors.

So say all your dismissive little quips about how I'm clueless because I disagree with you, I'm educated on the matter and have first hand experience.  The KTM platform is the only 2T platform to have any updates in almost 15 years and sales are up because of it, but I've been told to believe the hype once before and we all know how that worked out.

Moggy and I had this conversation 2 years ago. He has rose colored glasses on when it comes to this:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Moggy and I had this conversation 2 years ago. He has rose colored glasses on when it comes to this:

image.png.ed69aa8280c84b4f7eec20d9276489e1.png

I suppose it's less work for young-uns to play video games.  I was psyched when my 8 year old told me she wanted a dirt bike. 👍

Edited by Sinister Veritas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mxaniac said:

KTM is like Subaru, they made a crap product for so long and still had a cult following nobody else can take them serious.  The products may be good now, but their legacy taints them.  I've got an albino one now, mostly because I wanted to find out what kind of improvements have been made on 2 strokes.  Answer: none.

Wrong. Ktm is like toyota in that they had a few short good years and are now cashing in selling an inferior product to the fanboi sheeple with more cash than brains lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

I am not sure... :D

Don't know about other areas but in New England Subaru has been known for their legacy of 4WD and AWD vehicles. Subaru had 4WD in passenger cars even in 1970s and were purchased for New England winters.

More recently I think they have good safety records and a lot of soccer moms with kids drive them. Don't know about their politics or orientation though...

Subaru was the first car company to have lesbians on their car commercials and actually target  the LGBTQIA demographic. This strategy was wildly successful at establishing Subaru brand identity as the choice of Softball Dykes everywhere. Most Straights don't realize Subaru did this on purpose. 

Screenshot_20200523-162304_Google.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mog said:

I can't agree with anything you say 

The KTM.power valve is a thing of beauty youcan change the power from a super docile 250 to a fire-breathing hard hitting monster

No other bike has ever had anything like that - so adjustable

You can tailor the power more than any bike made in MX history including four strokes

Wrong. Sherco has adjustable pv that drops off 7hp.. On the fly.. Does the ktm do that?

Edited by Assy man
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Subaru was the first car company to have lesbians on their car commercials and actually target  the LGBTQIA demographic. This strategy was wildly successful at establishing Subaru brand identity as the choice of Softball Dykes everywhere. Most Straights don't realize Subaru did this on purpose. 

So is it a safe bet to think that Lindsey Graham owns a Subaru?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Sales is sales. Don't matter where the sale comes from. Too bad for those who failed to cater to this market.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

They are also perfectly ok with Subaru raining hell fire down onto the terrorizers. 

A5E5DCED-314C-4DD1-9536-C91A39E34E05.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Assy man said:

Wrong. Sherco has adjustable pv that drops off 7hp.. On the fly.. Does the ktm do that?

I love it when you talk NUMBERS 😃. I still cant ride a bike but took my 76 year old dad out today and I think I had more fun watching him have fun. 

20200523_102055.jpg

• Like 4
  • Helpful 5

37 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Sales is sales. Don't matter where the sale comes from. Too bad for those who failed to cater to this market.

Slate did a really interesting write up on it. When the Fallwel/Robertson boycott of Disney failed in 97, it opened the door to a lot of companies who realized advertising to a lucrative market when the downside was ineffective at best was a no brainer. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Assy man said:

Ktm is like toyota in that they had a few short good years and are now cashing in selling an inferior product to the fanboi sheeple with more cash than brains lol

Yep.  KTM 2T used to have the best rims and other quality components like Rad Valve or VForce reed cage.  You paid more but it was understandable.

They've been slowly and systematically walking the quality back while raising prices.  

Now you just pay more and the quality of components isn't any better (aside from hydraulic clutch).

I don't even want to imagine what kind of craptastic Chinese parts bin items are gonna make their way onto the red KTMs.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Sinister Veritas said:

I suppose it's less work for young-uns to play video games.  I was psyched when my 8 year old told me she wanted a dirt bike. 👍

That is great!! Send me a PM when you think she might be ready for a ttr110 if you are interested. I have one in excellent condition that gets little use. I am up around Newburyport.

My son was on PW50 really young moved on to ATVs SxS and ttr110 until about 10. Then he started with video games and tended away from it. He is 12 now and his main thing is parkour when he isn't playing that damn fortnite with his buddies.:foul:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 777654321 said:

I love it when you talk NUMBERS 😃. I still cant ride a bike but took my 76 year old dad out today and I think I had more fun watching him have fun. 

20200523_102055.jpg

Which is it? Eastern or PLU? :confused:

Edited by shrubitup

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Which is it? Eastern or PLU? :confused:

He went to Eastern back when they were Savages. He coached at PLU till he retired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Wow, had no idea! Really really disgusted with social engineering in a cos commercials, huge turn off.  No suby for me.

subaru is lgbtqueer here in commiefornia. Subaru = fem, BOTTOM LINE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

Wow, had no idea! Really really disgusted with social engineering in a cos commercials, huge turn off.  No suby for me.

I read about this with Subaru.  They did market research and discovered 5 core groups were buying their cars.  One was lesbians.  It's not like they were trying to manipulate them into buying Subarus, they were already buyers.  So they did some ads to sort of slyly acknowledge it.

But I do get a chuckle about @Chaconne current home being one of the epicenters.

"When the company’s marketers went searching for people willing to pay a premium for all-wheel drive, they identified four core groups who were responsible for half of the company’s American sales: teachers and educators, health-care professionals, IT professionals, and outdoorsy types.

Then they discovered a fifth: lesbians. “When we did the research, we found pockets of the country like Massachusetts, Northampton, Massachusetts, Portland (Oregon), & Massachusetts where the head of the household would be a single person—and often a woman,” says Tim Bennett, who was the company’s director of advertising at the time. When marketers talked to these customers, they realized these women buying Subarus were lesbian."

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chaconne said:

Don't know about other areas but in New England Subaru has been known for their legacy of 4WD and AWD vehicles.

Yeah.  Subaru are  "known" there because your area is a hotbed for LGBTQ activity.  This is according to Subaru, they know their demographic.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I read about this with Subaru.  They did market research and discovered 5 core groups were buying their cars.  One was lesbians.  It's not like they were trying to manipulate them into buying Subarus, they were already buyers.  So they did some ads to sort of slyly acknowledge it.

But I do get a chuckle about @Chaconne current home being one of the epicenters.

"When the company’s marketers went searching for people willing to pay a premium for all-wheel drive, they identified four core groups who were responsible for half of the company’s American sales: teachers and educators, health-care professionals, IT professionals, and outdoorsy types.

Then they discovered a fifth: lesbians. “When we did the research, we found pockets of the country like Massachusetts, Northampton, Massachusetts, Portland (Oregon), & Massachusetts where the head of the household would be a single person—and often a woman,” says Tim Bennett, who was the company’s director of advertising at the time. When marketers talked to these customers, they realized these women buying Subarus were lesbian."

Couple women that are married to women at my work both drive subarus 😃