KTMRider4Life

Suzuki Disbanding US R&D

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Funny at the place I ride I've never seen a single yz125x and there's a lot of bikes there.  

That's gonna be a technical, Eastern terrain bike.  Not CA Jeep trails.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

They're probably buying the yz125 for 5500 and wondering why guys are paying 1k more for the x.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

They're probably buying the yz125 for 5500 and wondering why guys are paying 1k more for the x.

I've heard guys realy like the 125x. Personally I realy liked my yz125 in the trails. The x is most likely more goat friendly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zinergy said:

Add up the costs for the different sprocket, 18" rear wheel, 18" rear tube, side stand, CDI, power valve, O ring chain, F/R off road tires, suspension valving and springs, the petcock with reserve 😁and the cylinder head. Oh, and, YOU don't hafta do those mods as Yamaha does it for you with no labor charge. 👍

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Add up the costs for the different sprocket, 18" rear wheel, 18" rear tube, side stand, CDI, power valve, O ring chain, F/R off road tires, suspension valving and springs, the petcock with reserve 😁and the cylinder head. Oh, and, YOU don't hafta do those mods as Yamaha does it for you with no labor charge. 👍

Not sure how much value I put in most of that list. But I'm probably just not hardcore enough to enjoy those changes. I'm also taller guy so the lower seat height and softer suspension aren't necessarily a benefit for me.

I'll be honest though I've never ridden a offroad specific small bore. Only mx bikes and I do enjoy them even in the woods. Was just doing muddy ridge climbs on a 150sx a couple weekends ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redrider144 said:

That's gonna be a technical, Eastern terrain bike.  Not CA Jeep trails.

No jeeps or quads allowed where I ride, that's Eastern folk like @Chaconne.  I'll gaurantee KTM sells way more XCW in each cc model than Yamaha does in the the same cc. And then KTM sells even more XCW's in the CC's that Yamaha doesn't. 150/300...

Yamaha isn't selling many of those outdated jap scrap bikes in the U.S.A.  They're probably selling in secondary and tertiary markets pretty well but not where people have money to buy what they want. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

No jeeps or quads allowed where I ride, that's Eastern folk like @Chaconne.  I'll gaurantee KTM sells way more XCW in each cc model than Yamaha does in the the same cc. And then KTM sells even more XCW's in the CC's that Yamaha doesn't. 150/300...

Yamaha isn't selling many of those outdated jap scrap bikes in the U.S.A.  They're probably selling in secondary and tertiary markets pretty well but not where people have money to buy what they want. 

People see what they wanta see 😃

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

My two cents on Suzuki is that they don't have what it takes to compete with the other manufacturers so they are always lagging behind.  But, I believe they have a trump card and they are not taking advantage of it. I saw an interview with Bob Lutz who when he was president of Chrysler was involved with the development of the Ram pickup.  They knew they couldn't compete straight up with Ford & GM pickups so they deliberately styled the Ram to appeal to a smaller group of buyers.  It worked and over time the Ram is now on equal ground.  IMO Suzuki should stop trying to compete straight up with the other manufacturers and instead leverage what they are really good at (most of the time) and that is with handling.  Their engineers have done a great job of keeping the weight low in the chassis and are capable of making an exceptional handling bike. All of the memorable bikes I've owned in the past weren't exceptional necessarily because of the motor or suspension but because of the great handling and a couple of those were Suzuki’s.  Of course, I am pissing in the wind but Suzuki really should hire me to steer development of their bikes.  Plus, I'll work for food and beer.

Edited by Sahr Kastic
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 3

50 minutes ago, Sahr Kastic said:

My two cents on Suzuki is that they don't have what it takes to compete with the other manufacturers so they are always lagging behind.  Plus, I'll work for food and beer.

image.gif.93d63222e31ef4f6aa05db840559b7a7.gif

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

No jeeps or quads allowed where I ride, that's Eastern folk like @Chaconne

Come ride out here and I will let you wash the inches of mud off my bike and clean my air filter --you know the one KTM designed for the Cali roads with a little dust on em...:D:ride: 

5 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Now there's the Yamahate'n squid we all know and love. Now if @mog if would chime in about Eli's bike smoking it would be just like old times. 

:awww:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Come ride out here and I will let you wash the inches of mud off my bike and clean my air filter --you know the one KTM designed for the Cali roads with a little dust on em...:D:ride: 

With his sweet new riding pants, he's not worried about a little mud.

image.png.b7d659f51b6ad41611c4d3c5f4201857.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, indy rider said:

With his sweet new riding pants, he's not worried about a little mud.

image.png.b7d659f51b6ad41611c4d3c5f4201857.png

I got the photo of CHaps Only 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

image.gif.93d63222e31ef4f6aa05db840559b7a7.gif

That's pretty close to what I look like before I go on a bender except that according to KTM4Life I am only 4' 10" tall.

Actually, I don't drink that much I just use it as an excuse to annoy people with my pontificating...

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Sahr Kastic said:

That's pretty close to what I look like before I go on a bender except that according to KTM4Life I am only 4' 10" tall.

Actually, I don't drink that much I just use it as an excuse to annoy people with my pontificating...

How ironic! I use drinking to tolerate people like 4life!!!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Sahr Kastic said:

My two cents on Suzuki is that they don't have what it takes to compete with the other manufacturers so they are always lagging behind.  But, I believe they have a trump card and they are not taking advantage of it. I saw an interview with Bob Lutz who when he was president of Chrysler was involved with the development of the Ram pickup.  They knew they couldn't compete straight up with Ford & GM pickups so they deliberately styled the Ram to appeal to a smaller group of buyers.  It worked and over time the Ram is now on equal ground.  IMO Suzuki should stop trying to compete straight up with the other manufacturers and instead leverage what they are really good at (most of the time) and that is with handling.  Their engineers have done a great job of keeping the weight low in the chassis and are capable of making an exceptional handling bike. All of the memorable bikes I've owned in the past weren't exceptional necessarily because of the motor or suspension but because of the great handling and a couple of those were Suzuki’s.  Of course, I am pissing in the wind but Suzuki really should hire me to steer development of their bikes.  Plus, I'll work for food and beer.

Lutz is one of the few executives that actually seems to have a big enough positive impact on things to be worth his salary.  I always feel like I got some value out of it when I read an article about him, a huge contrast to when some of you write something.  You know who you are....

You and I are the same in that we value handling more than motor and suspension.  Even though I liked it I quit on Suzuki when I bought a brand new 2001 RM250 because my old one wouldn't stay together, and still had to split the cases 3 times in the first year.  I switched back to Honda and found they handled just as well, had better suspension, and I had no idea what the inside of them looked like.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

CA isn't known for tight, greasy, root / rock infested trails.  That's eastern style terrain, and that's where a bike like a 125X is going to have more appeal.  That you don't see them in CA is not surprising.

CA is ground zero for KTMSwingerDisease.  That's why @Babyarmholdingapple bought a HQV.  Too much KTM guzzling out there for his taste.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

CA isn't known for tight, greasy, root / rock infested trails.  That's eastern style terrain, and that's where a bike like a 125X is going to have more appeal.  That you don't see them in CA is not surprising.

CA is ground zero for KTMSwingerDisease.  That's why @Babyarmholdingapple bought a HQV.  Too much KTM guzzling out there for his taste.

I see 125 and 150XC's.... Isn't that what the YZX is attempting to compete against? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

So he got his KTM painted white?

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1