pat22043

caltrop ads? Sure don't want them

Question

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a photo of a home made caltrop-type device, and asked what it was. They are, of course, the evil devices spread to deliberately puncture tires to stop movements. I think their use goes back to Roman warriors. So a couple of the usual folks pointed out that they are designed to destroy tires, and maybe crash the bike, stay away, etc.

As part of it, I did a general Google search for them, so I could get the spelling right, etc. 

Ever since, I get ads on TT in the forums I hang out for buying caltrops from Amazon and other vendors.

I know you guys have very little control over the ads, and you need the money from ads to pay for the site.

But seeing ads for these damn deliberately dangerous devices makes my blood boil. A couple of years ago, I was riding with a group of riders and we got 5 puncture flats, all within a couple hundred yards of each other. Clearly someone planted caltrops, we think inside mud puddles so we couldn't see them thru the muddy water.

Is there any way you can stop these ads?

Thanks
Pat

12 answers to this question

19 hours ago, pat22043 said:

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a photo of a home made caltrop-type device, and asked what it was. They are, of course, the evil devices spread to deliberately puncture tires to stop movements. I think their use goes back to Roman warriors. So a couple of the usual folks pointed out that they are designed to destroy tires, and maybe crash the bike, stay away, etc.

As part of it, I did a general Google search for them, so I could get the spelling right, etc. 

Ever since, I get ads on TT in the forums I hang out for buying caltrops from Amazon and other vendors.

I know you guys have very little control over the ads, and you need the money from ads to pay for the site.

But seeing ads for these damn deliberately dangerous devices makes my blood boil. A couple of years ago, I was riding with a group of riders and we got 5 puncture flats, all within a couple hundred yards of each other. Clearly someone planted caltrops, we think inside mud puddles so we couldn't see them thru the muddy water.

Is there any way you can stop these ads?

Thanks
Pat

18 hours ago, Brian said:

Most advertising is based on the content in the page.  It’s 100% automated by google, amazon, etc.  

basically, if you’re talking about car stereos you will see car stereo ads on that page.  There’s really nothing we can do to block that type of ads unless we block the entire website from being searchable in google and other search engines

Could one purchase a "Team Thumpertalk" or otherwise more premium membership to the Forum to avoid seeing adverts?  

Most advertising is based on the content in the page.  It’s 100% automated by google, amazon, etc.  

basically, if you’re talking about car stereos you will see car stereo ads on that page.  There’s really nothing we can do to block that type of ads unless we block the entire website from being searchable in google and other search engines

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Absolutely.  There’s several options here

https://thumpertalk.com/subscriptions/

Thought so...just couldnt find the link!  Thanks Brian.

(irony here is that now I'll have to see Caltrop ads for participating in this thread😖)

18 hours ago, Brian said:

I guessed as much. Sure would be nice to be able to say "no ads for shit that has the sole purpose of &%$#@!ing up folks on motorcycles"

Just now, pat22043 said:

Sure would be nice to be able to say "no ads for shit that has the sole purpose of &%$#@!ing up folks on motorcycles"

This has actually come up a lot in the past, never on this exact subject. But a common one is political group ads. When guys start discussing issues in the regional forums, a lot of times ads from the groups we HATE start showing up. It use to drive me nuts..but then I had a realization. Every time one of those greenie ads show, we're taking money out of their budget. We've effectively charged them to show ads to people that will NEVER support them, and in the process we've taken budget away from those groups they could have spent marketing their B.S. to their tree hugger friends. 

Since it's impossible to block ads based on the topic's subject...at least I feel better knowing every one of their ads that shows here, is doing damage to their bottom line. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, kevvyd said:

Thought so...just couldnt find the link!  Thanks Brian.

(irony here is that now I'll have to see Caltrop ads for participating in this thread😖)

I've never heard the term "Caltrop" so me too. Need to go search to see. Curiosity killed the cat, right? 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pat22043 said:

There is an ad for them right now on this page. Sigh.

What I didn't know is that when I stepped on my kids' Legos in bare feet, they were really Caltrops!

image.png

• Haha 1