FearedFactor

Quarantine Project - XR400r

So while I'm taking a break from kickstarting, I figured I'd do a little introduction on my new to me 2001 XR400r. 

Bought of Craigslist in Feb, the bike ran well and did not smoke, the idle was set really high, I found out later how bad the carb was, and I was surprised it would run at all.  

Completely stripped the frame down to bare metal to remove all traces of rust. 

Painted the frame and subframe with Duplicolor enamel engine paint. 

The exhaust was sanded to bare metal, primed and painted with VHT Flameproof Paint, Headers are silver muffler is black; I'm not super impressed with the finish, we'll see how it holds up.

New Wheel Bearings front and rear. 

New steering head bearings

New swing arm bearings and suspension linkage bearings. 

New swing arm bolt and nut.

New front brake master cylinder, the old one was trash

Rebuilt front and rear brake calipers, 

Rebuilt rear master cylinder

Primed and painted all brake components with Black Duplicolor Brake Caliper paint 

New Tusk Wave Rotor front and rear, Tusk SS Brake lines, New Galfer brake pads

New Acerbis plastics, New taillight lens, and bulb

New SGD Seat

Wet sanded the tank and added new graphics, new gas cap, and line

The rear tire was new when I bought the bike so I ordered a new front to match. 

New JFG Racing headlight

New clutch perch, clutch cable, and tusk clutch lever

New Tusk billet kill switch

New ProTaper Grips, new motion pro throttle tube 

New Tusk handlebar

New fork seals and baffles, forks were disassembled cleaned and reassembled 

New Mikuni Carb

New Primary Drive Gold X-ring Chain, both sprockets and guides

New Tusk shift lever

New IMS footpegs (huge compared to stock)

New Oil Filter, New Spark Plug, New magnetic drain plug

New top end gaskets, when I was in there the piston and jug looked great and were in spec. The Rod was out of round but still in spec best I could tell using my calipers. I don't have access to a micrometer right now. 

Still need to wire up the Trail Tech Vapor and the new headlight and a new cam chain will be in order soon as my timing marks were a few degrees off. Probably going to freshen up the clutch at that point as well. 

I the future I might possibly make it street legal? Possibly install bar risers? I'm 6'3. And maybe handguards? Big Bore kit? Hot cam? Supercharger? Nitrous? Who knows right now I gotta get her running. 

I've really enjoyed the project, now I have a starting issue we are working through on another thread. Previous to this I've ridden a few Beemers, and currently have an Oilhead (R1150R). 

Thanks for reading this forum has been a great help with everything so far. (Air hammer for the swingarm bolt!!). Hopefully I'll be able to contribute back in the future. 

John

20200223_142159.jpg

20200308_140535.jpg

20200315_110800.jpg

20200321_130733.jpg

20200329_170726.jpg

20200405_143644.jpg

20200508_083502.jpg

20200424_205600.jpg

• Like 9
  • Helpful 1

Looks better than new. Nice job!  Thinking this would be a nice 2nd bike. 

• Like 2

Nice looking project you completed. Nothing like wrenching/restoring and old scoot during all this nonsense.

• Like 2

Looks great, just got one and about to start work, yours is a real inspiration.

Which Mikuni carb did you get?

Where did you get the graphics? 

thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Exodus61 said:

Looks great, just got one and about to start work, yours is a real inspiration.

Which Mikuni carb did you get?

Where did you get the graphics? 

thanks

Thanks the Graphics came from eBay and the Mikuni is a TM 36.

293557069169?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=2935https://www.ebay.com/itm/293557069169?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=293557069169

Edited by FearedFactor
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 4:09 PM, FearedFactor said:

So while I'm taking a break from kickstarting, I figured I'd do a little introduction on my new to me 2001 XR400r. 

Bought of Craigslist in Feb, the bike ran well and did not smoke, the idle was set really high, I found out later how bad the carb was, and I was surprised it would run at all.  

The exhaust was sanded to bare metal, primed and painted with VHT Flameproof Paint, Headers are silver muffler is black; I'm not super impressed with the finish, we'll see how it holds up.

Primed and painted all brake components with Black Duplicolor Brake Caliper paint 

New SGD Seat

New JFG Racing headlight

New Tusk handlebar

New Mikuni Carb

New Tusk shift lever

New top end gaskets, when I was in there the piston and jug looked great and were in spec. The Rod was out of round but still in spec best I could tell using my calipers. I don't have access to a micrometer right now. 

Still need to wire up the Trail Tech Vapor and the new headlight and a new cam chain will be in order soon as my timing marks were a few degrees off. Probably going to freshen up the clutch at that point as well. 

I the future I might possibly make it street legal? Possibly install bar risers? I'm 6'3. And maybe handguards? Big Bore kit? Hot cam? Supercharger? Nitrous? Who knows right now I gotta get her running. 

I've really enjoyed the project, now I have a starting issue we are working through on another thread. Previous to this I've ridden a few Beemers, and currently have an Oilhead (R1150R). 

Thanks for reading this forum has been a great help with everything so far. (Air hammer for the swingarm bolt!!). Hopefully I'll be able to contribute back in the future. 

John

20200223_142159.jpg

20200308_140535.jpg

20200315_110800.jpg

20200321_130733.jpg

20200329_170726.jpg

20200405_143644.jpg

20200508_083502.jpg

20200424_205600.jpg

NICE! Now I'm lookin for 1 too!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, FearedFactor said:

New SGD Seat

New JFG Racing headlight

New Tusk handlebar

New Mikuni Carb

New Tusk shift lever

John

20200223_142159.jpg

20200308_140535.jpg

20200315_110800.jpg

20200321_130733.jpg

20200329_170726.jpg

20200405_143644.jpg

20200508_083502.jpg

20200424_205600.jpg

Bloody good job when your finished it will be better then a new bike well done ill getr around to doing my XR400 once i finish the 78 DT250 77 XR75 & 86 XR80 im rebuilding at the moment

2 hours ago, Robert Malcolm John Livingstone said:

Bloody good job when your finished it will be better then a new bike well done ill getr around to doing my XR400 once i finish the 78 DT250 77 XR75 & 86 XR80 im rebuilding at the moment

Please start a post with pictures of the DT 250, and the others, 🙂 I had a 1972

21 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

Please start a post with pictures of the DT 250, and the others, 🙂 I had a 1972

ive been taking progress shots of all the bikes from strip down to rebuild the DT is not restore but a modern up lighten up rebuild the XR75&80 are both getting a bit of engine suspension and exhaust up grades ill put them all together soon and put them up the DT just needs a bore piston and rings and it will be back together

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Malcolm John Livingstone said:

ive been taking progress shots of all the bikes from strip down to rebuild the DT is not restore but a modern up lighten up rebuild the XR75&80 are both getting a bit of engine suspension and exhaust up grades ill put them all together soon and put them up the DT just needs a bore piston and rings and it will be back together

this is before and after shots it had been sitting under a tree seized for 35 years

96269430_2958438127580539_8308093130024943616_n.jpg

96713375_2958438117580540_5003482263837474816_n.jpg