Posted (edited)

So here are my problems and I would love to ride but I can't...

Recently I purchased a 2008 rmz250, bought it off a friend who never had it running proper, said it backfired alot and didn't ever run proper. When I got the bike i tore everything apart to try fix the problem, I have done the following

-ultra-sonic cleaned the carb, all routes are clear

-header had a gash, initially thought this was the problem installed a new one

-Redid timing to proper adjustment

-new coolant, oil and cleaned all inside case

-hot start rebuild, thought this was the problem too as it would be sucking air in past carb

-checked carb boot, no rips

-ran seafoam

After all this the bike still won't idle proper off of choke, on choke it runs fine, blips out when I give it throttle when it's not on choke and makes a hissing sound, I have come to the conclusion it can't be timing BC then it wouldn't run proper on choke, it might be the tps I will test that and update the thread and I will check valve clearance, I am somewhat p'd off I always get stuck with some unfixable vehicle, would love any feedback, thanks in advance

Edited by TheQuarterMechanic .25

Did you get this figured out? I am no bike mechanic but you said it makes a hissing sound and it won't run right if choke isn't on. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak to me. Spray some starter fluid around the carb while it is running and see if the idle changes. Careful because it is flammable. A fire extinguisher near by is not a bad idea.

Every once in a while when my bike doesn't run right and makes a hissing sound it means I forgot to take the pipe plug out after washing. Lol. Im sure this isn't the case with your bike but maybe if it has been sitting a while the exhaust somehow got partially plugged like a mouse building a nest inside. Probably not the issue, just a thought.

Rebuild the petcock/fuel filter assembly. Worth a shot. Douche out the tank and fresh gas following.