2004 RMZ 250 for sale: what questions to ask?

• Bryan II changed the title to 2004 RMZ 250 for sale: what questions to ask?
On 5/15/2020 at 10:51 AM, 27bradley said:

This guy on facebook is selling a 2004 RMZ 250 for 1800$ newbie into dirt biking what are some questions i should ask about the bike other than hours?

1. does he have the title for the bike?
2. why is he selling it?
3. Is he aware of any problems or issues?
4. Is the bike complete or are there any missing parts?
5. "Would you have an issue if my dealer mechanic gave the bike a look over?"

Sure, sellers can lie, but many suck at it. These questions would give you a good feel if the guy is legit or a poop talker.  Some legit sellers aren't hot for #5 because they don't want to waste time. It's more of a feeler question.

If you get a good vibe that the guy is legit, try to see the bike where he lives. How a person keeps their primary residence can give clues about how they take care of their stuff. If a lot of stuff is in disrepair, why would the bike be any different essentially.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 5/15/2020 at 10:51 AM, 27bradley said:

This guy on facebook is selling a 2004 RMZ 250 for 1800$ newbie into dirt biking what are some questions i should ask about the bike other than hours?

Unless it was recently totally rebuilt and the guy has the paperwork to prove it I would not buy it.

• Like 1

DO NOT Buy That 2004 RMZ250, I can't say that loud enough. That is the first year of the KAWAZUKI, real POS. If I need to spell out what P.O.S. means don't hesitate to ask.

1st thing you will not like about that 2004 KAWASAKI Engine is how you have to change your Oil Filter during that particular maintenance project. Yes sir it turns into project instead of just maintenance. You have to drain the radiator, disconnect the rad hose, remove the cover for the oil filter which is the same cover for the water pump. Just a dumbass design. They fixed it the next year on 2005 and 2006 was the last year they made that bike together Kawasaki & Suzuki made a real POS dirt bike together for 3 years.

Two things to remember if you purchase that POS is:

1) go to ebay and buy the 2005 or 2006 components to eliminate the (cluster F') maintenance issue of the 2004 version.

2) you can buy some of the parts off the Kawasaki side of the OEM Parts Site(s) for the "engine parts", that is what I did to save money. The Suzuki side of the site(s) are just a little more expensive.

Example: Kick Start Lever, Suzuki OEM Part Number: K1306- 40015 $127 but the Kawasaki OEM Part Number: K13064-0015 $104

Again, buy a different dirt bike just not a 2004 Suzuki RMZ250.

The ACV for a 2004 = $2015. So the asking price of $1800 is a fair price IMO but dude they are a really crappy designed first year model of the cross-breed dirt bike of when someone in the family's of Suzuki and Kawasaki started having sex behind closed doors. They might have had a shotgun wedding but they divorce happened 3 years later.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1