2020 Beta possibly totatlled

I deleted all the OT nonsense. Want to troll, go play in the Cali forum or Salty. 

Consider this fair warning. 

Anyway, OP. They will total the bike. It's pretty much automatic if there's structural damage. The broken TC's alone should do it. You likely can buy it back pretty cheap and make some money parting it out or you'll have a number of spares. If the head isn't bent I'd buy it back and fix it. Keep in mind it will have a salvage title which means if it gets wrecked again they pay no more than 50% if I remember correctly. Somebody that knows insurance here probably will correct me. ? 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

No idea what is stock. Why go the long way with a short cable?

Common issue with different raised clamps or stabilizers. 

The come routed on the left. I always reroute to the right when I run a stabiliser. Interestingly the cable runs through the rear head stays so you have to unbolt them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

Yea that is definitely in the back of my mind. If I get a fair settlement I may get a 20 200rr and pick up a 21 300re in the winter. I spoke with the agent today and he said they will cover all of my safety gear as well even the $700 6d helmet. I had no idea that was covered under the policy. His initial feeling was the bike was totalled from description alone but I'd have to start stripping parts off to see how bad it is. Any idea how to check if forks are bent?

Wow great insurance coverage!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, campdirt said:

okay now thats 2 new betas that i know of that the throttle cable is secure.thats reassuring.now i have to bash my belovid orange bikes for letting that hazard slip through their qc.

Mine is also secure unless you pull hard on it.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Haha 2

I agree that the cable routing was less than ideal but it looks quite a bit worse now than it was before the wreck. I did have probably 10 rides on it routed that way and never seemed to have an issue but I guess the liner may have been wearing due to the unusual bend.

The more I look at it I dont think it would be to bad to repair and I do plan on buying it back. Maybe I wont feel as bad throwing it through some rocks after it's all patched up. It appears that new triples rim and spokes, pipe, and steering damper post will take care of it.  Of course a longer cable with possibly a better cable guide as well. Plus a inline fuel filter and vent tube filters.

Anyone know if that boano triple clamp set will fit the kybs?

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

I agree that the cable routing was less than ideal but it looks quite a bit worse now than it was before the wreck. I did have probably 10 rides on it routed that way and never seemed to have an issue but I guess the liner may have been wearing due to the unusual bend.

The more I look at it I dont think it would be to bad to repair and I do plan on buying it back. Maybe I wont feel as bad throwing it through some rocks after it's all patched up. It appears that new triples rim and spokes, pipe, and steering damper post will take care of it.  Of course a longer cable with possibly a better cable guide as well. Plus a inline fuel filter and vent tube filters.

Anyone know if that boano triple clamp set will fit the kybs?

Yup just fix and go riding!!! Plus brand new you just ride rocks and everything anyway. You have an awesome bike!! So you get a correct setup throttle cable this time around. :excuseme: Fix ! upgrade!! Ride your Beta!!! Simple!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

20 hours ago, Hammy. said:

Theres nothing about manufacturing per se causing the issue. Nothing unique about the carb which is used on many models across the manufacturers.

I think it might come down to the throttle cable routing. If you don't have your cable in a precise position when you re-install the tank, the tank can bind up the cable, and when you turn the bars it might not let the cable return after its pulled out.

Totally true.  Happened on my xr650r many moons ago after installing aftermarket parts and an IMS TANK. 

Every left turn to full lock was full throttle- with no throttle applied. Lol. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 3:18 PM, NjBetaRider said:

, single track today with friends I was coming through a tight turn a gear high so I was fanning the clutch. All of a sudden the throttle went wide open and i went full speed into a pine tree. Triple clamps sheared right off. Bent the wheel, bent the forks, crushed the pipe and dented the frame with the pipe. Also broke half the spokes and broke the steering damper. Some how I managed to ride it out.

Now this is the second time this throttle stuck on this bike. It's almost like the slide is hanging up because after both wreck the throttle was still pinned. I'm pretty busted up right now but if this ends up being fixable I'm not sure I feel comfortable riding this bike anymore. I thought I had fixed it the first time when I found all the vent tubes pinched but this was the exact same occurence. If it was 2 weeks ago I would have launched off a mountain.

20200517_152538.jpg

20200517_152528.jpg

20200517_152542.jpg

20200517_152606.jpg

20200517_152556.jpg

2nd time still no finger on the clutch ?‍♂️

• Helpful 1

Like I said it really caught me off guard and threw me back. I usually keep my hand on the clutch but when a 300 hits unexpectedly that's another story. If everyone followed proper riding techniques and every precaution was taken on bike setup then I guess no one would wreck. Sometimes things just go sideways though.

• Like 7

I started zip tying my throttle cable down years ago. Typically with a loop around the bars and through a piece of fuel line. I tried safety wire and still had a few incidents with tree limbs snagging. 

Hand guard mount height was perfect here so i simplified. 

Its not just the Euro throttles. Ive pulled out others. They were with Motion Pro cables. 

20200518_210634.jpg

4 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

Yes when I had it over to the left the cable would pull while turning. Come to think of it I removed my steering stops before this ride and hadn't thought to check the cable after.

I had the exact same thing happen to me 3 years ago. I had my 17 250xc and guy I was riding with had a 17 300xc. He wanted to try my bike so we swapped. I was on it less than 15 minutes. Came up a hill made a right and a hard left. Next thing I know the throttle is stuck wide open. I bounced off a tree before I could react. Guys that say pull in the clutch-please. This sh/t happens so fast and when you are in bar width trees stuff happens even faster. I ended up with a lacerated kidney and almost had to have it removed. I was passing blood for weeks. My knee had a huge hematoma and is still messed up. The incident was a direct result of some poor modifications the guy made to his 300xc. He put a Keihin carb on and a Scott’s steering stabilizer. He didn’t buy the cable guide and it was routed the standard ktm way. Need a longer cable and route behind number plate like a Japanese bike or get the guide. He also had taller bars. The part that really chapped my ass was he said it had stuck on him once but he didn’t think much of it. Yet.. he lets me ride it. If your bike hit a tree so hard it sheared the triple clamps-if I was in that situation I’d probably part the bike out. Couple things I have learned since that incident: Don’t ride other peoples bikes. Keihin carbs cable can pull out-zip tie it or wire tie it. Test a bike out on the stand for any possible issue. If you think it’s wrong-it is. Scott’s needs to sell steering stabilizers with the guide and instructions to install the guide. I don’t like Scott stabilizers-They are dumb. Honda phds behind number plate-simple and effective..yet unnecessary. I prefer Japanese style throttle cable routing- worked for over half a century-good enough for me. I hope you are OK and healthy. No matter what monetary loss you encounter- you are lucky to still be alive. People have died from this exact scenerio. There are no Jedi super powers that will help in a situation like this and some of the comments are ridiculous. Best of luck to you. Hope all goes well. Please ditch the stabilizer. You will go just as fast through the trees without it.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2

14 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Really?? Newer bike cables aren’t as good as from 5 years ago??   I guess if I need to get a new cable I’ll look at what motion pro or whatever is the best available currently  . Really for me on whatever bikes owned or worked on the cables have been fine and if I’ve ever had issues with the throttle cable it’s been me not settling it up right . It’s usually a simple not running it right by the tank and forks and usually caught quick in a recheck. 

One time again. 

New cables are pinched on the carb side, they don't come of, they don't lift the slide if you pull them from above. 

• Like 1

As I said earlier the crash moved that cable guide and everything is moved so it did not look like that before. I had ridden it at least 10 times that way plus through the one enduro we had this year without issue. What appears to be wear on the cable is just dust, the cable is not worn down at all not even a nick. 

The stabilizer came as a kit for a beta and I installed it exactly as was recommended. I tried the guide in all the positions and the way I left it was the least restrictive on the cable. In hindsight I should have bought a longer cable and rerouted it but on the stand and all the rides after never gave me indication it would be a problem. I would say about 75 percent of the people who ride around here seriously have one on their bike but I'm the only one I know with a 20 beta so it's not like I have a comparison.

Even with the bike all busted up the throttle moves freely hard to the right and to the left. I agree with everyone here that it is poor setup but I'm not entirely convinced that is why the throttle stuck. If I manage to keep the bike I will be pulling the carb and look for evidence of a hang up.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I'm not convinced of this either.  The cable guide position is exactly where mine is now.  Even routed on the left side of the tank, I doubt it can snag damper/tower.  See if you can temporarily get the upper clamp/bars back to a normal position and try and pull it over edge of damper/tower while slack, force a snag.  If guide was originally pointed more toward the rear then yeah all bets are off.

I know a guy (used to be on here) who once dropped his slide while routinely cleaning the same Keihin carb on his GG.  He didn't notice a small nick in the chrome.  Sometime later that caused a stuck throttle and broken leg.  You want to find the cause, even if its for a learning experience.  Go over that thing with a magnifier and do the same with your new bike.  Route an anchored cable to the right, use the same guide, verify no can snag and you will be fine.  The frame on this thing is junk, seriously.  Move on.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:55 AM, Hubert Carpet said:

Every bike I have had in the last 15 years has been a european 2T and has had the standard combination of a Domino throttle unit, Keihin carb and loose ended throttle cable. These have been 2 Betas, 1 GasGas and 5 KTMs. All have had the problem of being able to pull the cable out of its location at either end and jam the throttle open.

Simple solution. Buy a Motion Pro T3 Slidelight cable. Screws in at both ends and will not budge. Mine has moved from bike to bike and is now on the 6th. This also atests as to their build quality and longevity. And much cheaper than a trip to hospital.

Very interesting.  Thank you for giving me another project, because I don't have enough of those.  Proving once again that ignorance is bliss but also always painful in the long run.  Let the research begin.

Being that you love this model bike so much you should buy it from the insurance company and use it for parts on your new bike.  If the insurance company lets you.  Having spare parts of most things would be the most cost effective.  It is definitely a total.  Talk the insurance down to $300

Edited by OFS
  • Helpful 1