NjBetaRider

2020 Beta possibly totatlled

, single track today with friends I was coming through a tight turn a gear high so I was fanning the clutch. All of a sudden the throttle went wide open and i went full speed into a pine tree. Triple clamps sheared right off. Bent the wheel, bent the forks, crushed the pipe and dented the frame with the pipe. Also broke half the spokes and broke the steering damper. Some how I managed to ride it out.

Now this is the second time this throttle stuck on this bike. It's almost like the slide is hanging up because after both wreck the throttle was still pinned. I'm pretty busted up right now but if this ends up being fixable I'm not sure I feel comfortable riding this bike anymore. I thought I had fixed it the first time when I found all the vent tubes pinched but this was the exact same occurence. If it was 2 weeks ago I would have launched off a mountain.

20200517_152538.jpg

20200517_152528.jpg

20200517_152542.jpg

20200517_152606.jpg

20200517_152556.jpg

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Damn. Glad you’re relatively ok. 

Gotta take care of those throttle cables. Really unfortunate. 

Edited by Hammy.
  • Like 2

I'd imagine the insurance company is going to total it out. I have a dilemma of whether I buy it back and fix it or buy a different bike.

• Like 2

Whoa that’s the most wrecked Beta I’ve ever seen.!! Glad you ok!!  Yup a throttle cable issue can have bad outcomes but yours is one of the worst Ive seen. I’d buy it back. ..depends on if the frame is bent too.. but that’s for figuring later. 

• Like 1

Did you zip tie the carb side throttle boot? I’ve heard stories of throttle sticking because of it. 

Not saying it’s you fault for not doing it. But 20 bucks says that’s what it was

• Like 4

Kran is right. Zip ties do very little, along with the rubber boot...safety wire ftw.

Our bikes' cables are wired, and the boot pulled over the wire- simply to keep from scraping skin on the wire ends.

• Like 1

So it's a manufacturing error 

Starting to have second thoughts about getting a beta 

OI malfunctions 

Throttle sticking 

What next 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

OI malfunctions 

Throttle sticking 

What next 

2 betas and have not had either of those issues. Only about 80 hours between the 2, but neither bike has had these issues. Stuck throttle cable is probably owner error and not manufacture error.

If your looking and digging for reasons not to buy a beta, move on. You will always be second guessing your choice and every little thing that goes wrong you will make a big deal about. We dont need you on this forum constantly bitching and moaning about small stupid shit. You do enough of that without being a beta owner. 

• Like 8
  • Angry 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Eric72 said:

If your looking and digging for reasons not to buy a beta, move on. 

More than 2 betas out there

And if I'm genuinely concerned then what 

Next.....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

More than 2 betas out there

And if I'm genuinely concerned then what 

Next.....

And there are a lot of people who are not on the forums who have good and bad luck with ALL manufactures.

If your concerned get over it or take beta off your list. Every manufacture has issues, beta has no more problems then the rest of the bikes. Bikes are built by humans, humans are not perfect DEAL WITH IT and grow up

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

OI malfunctions 

Throttle sticking 

What next 

Theres nothing about manufacturing per se causing the issue. Nothing unique about the carb which is used on many models across the manufacturers.

I think it might come down to the throttle cable routing. If you don't have your cable in a precise position when you re-install the tank, the tank can bind up the cable, and when you turn the bars it might not let the cable return after its pulled out.

Edited by Hammy.
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

ktm 2 strokes had throttle cable pull outs for years.well documented on thumpertalk 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

You can also use this thing on the left side of the handlebar that decouples the engines power from the rear wheel if for whatever reason the throttle sticks.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 12
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 5

Hopefully, your okay. Regarding buying back your Beta from the insurance company. I would let them take the bike. A lot of expensive components (frame, forks, front wheel, triple clamps, etc.) were damaged. IMO, the cost of buying the bike back and fixing it would probable exceed the value of bike.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

First some answers for the trolls.. 

Beta side stands and their brackets are not made by cheese like KTMs and can easily withstand the weight of the bike with the owner on top. The complaints were about the small footprint which let them sink in soft soil. Also it pays to check periodically their screw as it is getting unfasten. 

Electrical connectors, never had a problem with them. Speedo and OI related damage. It can happen but what doesn't happens with other brands is the warranty cover that Beta offers. 

THIS IS CLEARLY NOT A 30 DAY and not even one more MANUFACTURER. It seems that this is difficult to digest for some who probably have paid a lot.... 

Now regarding the incident. Not really understand what do you mean by ziptieing or safety wiring the throttle cable to the boot... Throttle cable itself, is changed from 2015 or 16 as it is pinched on the carb side. That means that if you pull the cable from the top, it doesn't go of the carb cap and doesn't lift the slide. I see a steering damper on the bike (why?) but I can't see that interfering with the cable. And if there was a problem there, it would happen early....

I would start by checking the throttle grip... 

Ps: checked again the pics. Steering damper bracket has a guide for the throttle cable which already shows wear on the outside. Maybe you should check it again. Alternatively in the future you could use a motion pro long cable and reroute behind the headlight.... 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Can't leave any slack in the throttle cable, and must SAFETY WIRE the cable in place. A ziptie is not enough.

That’s bad advice , you should always have a small amount of free play in your throttle cable.

• Like 11
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

Beta problems Shrub has had:

1. Odometer died

2. Rear wheel bearing died without any warning after 200+ hours. Never shimmied like any other wheel with a worn bearing - should have just changed it due to hours. My bad. :bonk:

3. Slide stuck open? Nope

4. Main bearings failed? Nope, still on the original with about 260 hours logged

5. Oil Injection failed? Nope. 2015 didn't have it. :moon:

6. Horn wires rubbed raw by vegetation? Yes and so I removed the horn.

7. Dodgy electrical wiring? Maybe? My light flickers sometimes. Don't care. Electric start works all the time - do care!

Also, one of the first lessons that I instilled in my clutch motorbike riding Son was that IF the slide should stick open, pull the clutch! We went over this numerous times and it saved it bacon during whisky throttle moments on the KX100.

:blah:

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Every bike I have had in the last 15 years has been a european 2T and has had the standard combination of a Domino throttle unit, Keihin carb and loose ended throttle cable. These have been 2 Betas, 1 GasGas and 5 KTMs. All have had the problem of being able to pull the cable out of its location at either end and jam the throttle open.

Simple solution. Buy a Motion Pro T3 Slidelight cable. Screws in at both ends and will not budge. Mine has moved from bike to bike and is now on the 6th. This also atests as to their build quality and longevity. And much cheaper than a trip to hospital.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3