NjBetaRider

2020 Beta possibly totatlled

First of all no one likes their new bike smashed up. Bummer.. sorry for that and also it’s great that you are mostly ok. It’s a pretty freak accident giving the amount of damage.The next thing is the cause and to fix. So it’s a throttle cable setup issue. Thats obvious . That’s a bummer especially for a new bike. Now for next time on any bike because this is an any and every bike possible issue . That’s an issue that has been around forever that just needs to be right.

So it’s always been just pull in the clutch and hit the kill button or pull in the clutch and click into the highest gear you got then let out the clutch and hold the rear brake to kill the bike.. that’s if the kill button doesn’t work. .. and  that’s for if having a stuck throttle in typical situations. 

This is all obvious stuff right? This is all old school you learn on your first mini and dirt bikes growing up right..

So this fanning the clutch in a high gear and it getting away just happened to be the perfect storm freak of a throttle cable setup issue. 

To me it’s just an unfortunate expensive accident and could and does sometimes happen on any motorcycle. 

It’s a fix the Beta and setup the throttle cable right. :ride::excuseme:  This could happen on any dirtbike in the world. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hubert Carpet said:

Every bike I have had in the last 15 years has been a european 2T and has had the standard combination of a Domino throttle unit, Keihin carb and loose ended throttle cable. These have been 2 Betas, 1 GasGas and 5 KTMs. All have had the problem of being able to pull the cable out of its location at either end and jam the throttle open.

Simple solution. Buy a Motion Pro T3 Slidelight cable. Screws in at both ends and will not budge. Mine has moved from bike to bike and is now on the 6th. This also atests as to their build quality and longevity. And much cheaper than a trip to hospital.

Trip to the hospital???

It’s just setup your throttle cable right. That’s  with whatever throttle cable is on there unless it’s damaged or defective. Maybe lube some? 

That’s it. 

If the throttle gets stuck pull in the clutch and hit the kill button. 

Bike got away in a freak accident this time. 

The pics of that poor Busted up new Beta sure look bad though.. what a bummer.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

4 hours ago, Hubert Carpet said:

Every bike I have had in the last 15 years has been a european 2T and has had the standard combination of a Domino throttle unit, Keihin carb and loose ended throttle cable. These have been 2 Betas, 1 GasGas and 5 KTMs. All have had the problem of being able to pull the cable out of its location at either end and jam the throttle open.

Simple solution. Buy a Motion Pro T3 Slidelight cable. Screws in at both ends and will not budge. Mine has moved from bike to bike and is now on the 6th. This also atests as to their build quality and longevity. And much cheaper than a trip to hospital.

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Trip to the hospital???

It’s just setup your throttle cable right. That’s  with whatever throttle cable is on there unless it’s damaged or defective. Maybe lube some? 

That’s it. 

If the throttle gets stuck pull in the clutch and hit the kill button. 

Bike got away in a freak accident this time. 

The pics of that poor Busted up new Beta sure look bad though.. what a bummer.

Not in the post-2015s Beta. MP are very nice though and this is what I am using (long one) with different routing.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Not in the post-2015s Beta. MP are very nice though and this is what I am using (long one) with different routing.

Really?? Newer bike cables aren’t as good as from 5 years ago??   I guess if I need to get a new cable I’ll look at what motion pro or whatever is the best available currently  . Really for me on whatever bikes owned or worked on the cables have been fine and if I’ve ever had issues with the throttle cable it’s been me not settling it up right . It’s usually a simple not running it right by the tank and forks and usually caught quick in a recheck. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hammy. said:

Damn. Glad you’re relatively ok. 

Gotta take care of those throttle cables. Really unfortunate. 

you have your dirt bike insured??  I have never thought of that!  I assume if it is plated you can insure it.    Does the insurance company cover if you are riding single track?

You said the throttle was still stuck after the crash.   That means it should still be stuck.  Shouldn't you be able to determine the cause?

I've had stuck throttle due to the cable pull-out issue on Domino throttles probably 10 times.  Luckily most of them happened during startup because I somehow yanked on the cable housing while moving or transporting the bike or after a crash because the housing was pulled out during the crash.  I did however have it happen 2 or 3 times when vegetation yanked my cable housing while riding.  Luckily it never caused a crash.

With that being said, every time I've had the issue with the cable pulling out, it was still pulled out after the event.  So that means it was very easy to diagnose why the WOT happened.  Hopefully it's still stuck and if you do a careful inspection now you can determine the root cause.

Doc

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

Hey guys I appreciate all your support. The first go around with the stuck throttle I blame on bike prep as it was all pinched tubes. This time was either a stick pulled the cable or bound up in the routing for the stabilizer. I use a stabilizer here as most other people do as when you glance trees at speed it doesnt rip the bars from yours hands. It's pretty much a necessity to race around here. Now I was advised by a few people to tie wire my cable and I blew it off and am sorely regretting it. Also for the people who said grab the clutch. I keep my levers pointed mostly down as it keeps my elbows up and my wrists straight. Also helps when I'm standing. But when the bike accelerated it did it very unexpectedly and threw me back on the seat as I was unprepared. It put me in a position to be unable to grab the clutch because I was just along for the ride. It also happened very fast and wish I managed to bail out. The bike was still pinned when my riding buddies went to grab it but after picking it up nothing was stuck. So my thoughts are either a pulled or snagged throttle cable, a grain of sand that made it past the filter as I had changed it in a hurry that morning or possibly a runaway engine.

As far as insurance I have progressive as it's a requirement to be plated. I insure all my toys through them and it's very cheap. They even cover all the aftermarket accessories. I originally got it for the high rate of theft in the area for my sxs and after reading that they usually total things out for very minor damage. I'm actually hoping that the bike is fixable because honestly I have ridden enough of my friends bikes that I'm just not impressed as much as with the beta. Once I got the suspension right the bike was fantastic. Here's to hoping I can patch her up.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

Hey guys I appreciate all your support. The first go around with the stuck throttle I blame on bike prep as it was all pinched tubes. This time was either a stick pulled the cable or bound up in the routing for the stabilizer. I use a stabilizer here as most other people do as when you glance trees at speed it doesnt rip the bars from yours hands. It's pretty much a necessity to race around here. Now I was advised by a few people to tie wire my cable and I blew it off and am sorely regretting it. Also for the people who said grab the clutch. I keep my levers pointed mostly down as it keeps my elbows up and my wrists straight. Also helps when I'm standing. But when the bike accelerated it did it very unexpectedly and threw me back on the seat as I was unprepared. It put me in a position to be unable to grab the clutch because I was just along for the ride. It also happened very fast and wish I managed to bail out. The bike was still pinned when my riding buddies went to grab it but after picking it up nothing was stuck. So my thoughts are either a pulled or snagged throttle cable, a grain of sand that made it past the filter as I had changed it in a hurry that morning or possibly a runaway engine.

As far as insurance I have progressive as it's a requirement to be plated. I insure all my toys through them and it's very cheap. They even cover all the aftermarket accessories. I originally got it for the high rate of theft in the area for my sxs and after reading that they usually total things out for very minor damage. I'm actually hoping that the bike is fixable because honestly I have ridden enough of my friends bikes that I'm just not impressed as much as with the beta. Once I got the suspension right the bike was fantastic. Here's to hoping I can patch her up.

If it were me, let the insurance company total it, buy it back, and buy a new bike too. have usable spares, and part out what you do not want. With the frame being potentially bent, I'd no ride it again without a new frame and all other necessary replacement parts. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

I used to have the same problem intermittently with my KTM 200. I swapped out the cable for the T3 slidelight with the extra length from motionpro and never experienced it again. 

just ordered one for the beta thanks to this thread. 

• Like 4

to the OP. I'm glad you weren't injured seriously and that you had insurance. I don't have ins on my dirt bikes. If it were me, I'd let ins total it and take it away. If you still have faith in beta, get a new one. That one to me is cursed. A third time you might not be so lucky.

• Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

Write it off, try to strip anything good on it before insurance takes it away. Basically all that is left that is salvageable is tank, electronics and anything in the back. If you buy it back, plan to use it as parts doner or part it out on ebay. With the frame, forks, wheel damaged that is about 1/3 the value, plus any unknown damage. 

The bad part will be to try and find another 300RE, you may have to wait for a 2021. I would start investigating that now....

Wow.  I've raced in south jersey quite a bit over the years.  As someone with experience with this same unfortunate incident, on a KTM 300, its one of two things.  With a damper, you MUST run a cable guide with a rear routed cable.  If it accelerated on a turn, that's it.   Second and not so obvious reason that got me:  The carb vents all routed down draw up that sandy water when crossing those big puddles on the sand roads.  It accumulates in the bowl, then is drawn up where the sand jams the needle in the nozzle.  Usually after WFO the throttle does not return.  If the needle has vertical scratches, that's it.

I hit a tree WFO 3rd gear, bike never let off for a corner.  Over the bars, my body hit the tree back first upside down, Camelback exploded!  Lucky I was just sore.  I wrecked wheel, axel, clamps.  Rest OK.  Your bike is far worse, hope your body isn't.  Good luck but its totaled.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, randysoo said:

to the OP. I'm glad you weren't injured seriously and that you had insurance. I don't have ins on my dirt bikes. If it were me, I'd let ins total it and take it away. If you still have faith in beta, get a new one. That one to me is cursed. A third time you might not be so lucky.

👍👍

Posted (edited)

Not cursed just a setup issue, nothing to do with Beta either.  Same carb/cable/throttle has been on thousands of bikes for decades.

I suspect the rake is a little tighter now, might be a little twitchy. 

Edited by GP
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Obviously incorrect throttle cable routing in the 2nd photo. The cable should be on the right side of the tank. Hopefully you’re 👍 Ok

• Like 1

Cable better on right side, but guide IS there and will prevent cable from migrating to the far side of damper/tower.  It looks tight because clamp is broken and pulled forward.

Its been wet here this spring,  BIG puddles form on the roads in the pine barrens, not to mention the swamp areas.  Check the float bowl and needle, odds are sand in the drain plug.  This is why you route a pair of the vent lines high, and better yet run the filters.  Not uncommon.

• Like 2

something i noticed on sons 2020 300. i tugged on throttle cable housing with 2 fingers and it did not move.tried the same test with the throttle cable that was supplied with the lectron and it did not move. all the carbed ktm 2 strokes i do this to with stock cables  they pull out pretty easy. so the sand theory is something i will pay more attention to now. glad the op is able to even talk about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rharr said:

Write it off, try to strip anything good on it before insurance takes it away. Basically all that is left that is salvageable is tank, electronics and anything in the back. If you buy it back, plan to use it as parts doner or part it out on ebay. With the frame, forks, wheel damaged that is about 1/3 the value, plus any unknown damage. 

The bad part will be to try and find another 300RE, you may have to wait for a 2021. I would start investigating that now....

Yea that is definitely in the back of my mind. If I get a fair settlement I may get a 20 200rr and pick up a 21 300re in the winter. I spoke with the agent today and he said they will cover all of my safety gear as well even the $700 6d helmet. I had no idea that was covered under the policy. His initial feeling was the bike was totalled from description alone but I'd have to start stripping parts off to see how bad it is. Any idea how to check if forks are bent?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

...the throttle went wide open and i went full speed into a pine tree.

But...  is the tree okay?

Sorry about the wreck, NjBeta. Best wishes for you and your steed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1