NjBetaRider

2020 Beta possibly totatlled

pull the forks off, strip the inners from the outer and roll them on a table, if there is any wanky movement there is a bend, if you don't see any fluctuations in movement (around the center) they are straight. that is the easy way, other wise strip them and put them in a lath with a dial indicator. 

I see on the first and third photo that the throttle cable is running on the inside of the bars and down through the the steering stabilizer bracket...I know nothing about the Beta's but is that the normal routing?  

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Obviously incorrect throttle cable routing in the 2nd photo. The cable should be on the right side of the tank. Hopefully you’re 👍 Ok

Johnny are you sure? That's how it was when I bought it. The tank has never been lifted off and I haven't ever disconnected the cable. When I put the damper on they recommended a 2" longer cable and I will admit I wasn't completely confident with the setup as you see it. On sharp turns the cable would get tight in that guide. 

GP, I had all of the vent tubes routed up into the airbox after the first ride and looped the overflow not long after that. No filters though.

To the person that said they couldn't pull on their throttle cable. Mine definitely had play at both ends when the handlebars were straight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

But...  is the tree okay?

Sorry about the wreck, NjBeta. Best wishes for you and your steed.

So would you believe they asked me that in the interview? If it was still standing? How much damage and exactly where it was. Also if I had pictures of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, rharr said:

pull the forks off, strip the inners from the outer and roll them on a table, if there is any wanky movement there is a bend, if you don't see any fluctuations in movement (around the center) they are straight. that is the easy way, other wise strip them and put them in a lath with a dial indicator. 

Ok well I plan on stripping them anyway because I want the springs and valving. Are you saying roll the uppers and lowers? What about the damper rod?

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Obviously incorrect throttle cable routing in the 2nd photo. The cable should be on the right side of the tank. Hopefully you’re 👍 Ok

Is that right side due to damper ? My 20 came routed on the left side 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GP said:

Wow.  I've raced in south jersey quite a bit over the years.  As someone with experience with this same unfortunate incident, on a KTM 300, its one of two things.  With a damper, you MUST run a cable guide with a rear routed cable.  If it accelerated on a turn, that's it.   Second and not so obvious reason that got me:  The carb vents all routed down draw up that sandy water when crossing those big puddles on the sand roads.  It accumulates in the bowl, then is drawn up where the sand jams the needle in the nozzle.  Usually after WFO the throttle does not return.  If the needle has vertical scratches, that's it.

I hit a tree WFO 3rd gear, bike never let off for a corner.  Over the bars, my body hit the tree back first upside down, Camelback exploded!  Lucky I was just sore.  I wrecked wheel, axel, clamps.  Rest OK.  Your bike is far worse, hope your body isn't.  Good luck but its totaled.

Wow GP you just basically described the same incident. If I had hit something sooner it wouldn't have been so bad but I managed to get some serious momentum going barreling off the trail. My friend had posted up the pictures on the beta Facebook site and a lot of people commented about ktms doing something similar and people putting on the crimped motion pro cable after. As one guy put he only needed a 300 to go when he didnt want it to to be convinced. Of course this happens after you help me dial in that suspension too. After the valving was squared away I was riding it faster than I ever was able to so I was already moving at a good clip when it happened.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burger72 said:

Is that right side due to damper ? My 20 came routed on the left side 

Yes when I had it over to the left the cable would pull while turning. Come to think of it I removed my steering stops before this ride and hadn't thought to check the cable after.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Hammy. said:

Theres nothing about manufacturing per se causing the issue. Nothing unique about the carb which is used on many models across the manufacturers.

I think it might come down to the throttle cable routing. If you don't have your cable in a precise position when you re-install the tank, the tank can bind up the cable, and when you turn the bars it might not let the cable return after its pulled out.

This is exactly what happened to me once on a KX250.  Disastrous result too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, campdirt said:

ktm 2 strokes had throttle cable pull outs for years.well documented on thumpertalk 

Yes, the cable would lift up out of the threaded barrel end on the carb side, saw it happen.  A motion pro cable design fixed it.

The newer KTM cables are crimped into the ends, similar to the Motion Pro cables.

Curious to know how the ends of the cables are assembled on the Beta.

Did you confirm the cable can pull out of the fitting on the carb end?

Edited by mbrick

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

Ok well I plan on stripping them anyway because I want the springs and valving. Are you saying roll the uppers and lowers? What about the damper rod?

you can roll it to if you want but I figured what ever the results of the inner and upper would be the same for the internals. Maybe buy a crappy ebay shock for cheap that would fit in the rear and swap out the good sach for a ebay junker. I tried fitting a 2005 crf450x shock for laughts but wouldn't fit due to the orientation of the piggy back, so you would need to find one that has the same rotation of piggy back and upper mount as the sachs. 

Edited by rharr

17 minutes ago, mbrick said:

Yes, the cable would lift up out of the threaded barrel end on the carb side, saw it happen.  A motion pro cable design fixed it.

The newer KTM cables are crimped into the ends, similar to the Motion Pro cables.

Curious to know how the ends of the cables are assembled on the Beta.

Did you confirm the cable can pull out of the fitting on the carb end?

Mine does pull out on both ends. 

I thought this must be a automatic bike with no clutch but wildbear  mentioned Clutch . Yip , just pull it in ! 

• Helpful 1

Yes, looks like the cable caught on the stabilizer. I also use a zip tie and adjust so there is no possibility of the cable catching the knobs when turning to the right. Glad you are ok.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

Mine does pull out on both ends. 

Yikes, that's a major safety risk IMO and inexcusable at this point.  Beta should have seen this happen for years on KTM before it was resolved.

Maybe others here know if one of the Motion Pro T3 cables fit correctly?  I don't see Beta in their catalog.

Edited by mbrick
  • Like 1

Ok so maybe I'm mistaken on the throttle cable pulling out. I just went out in the garage and pulled on it and even though there some in and out play it does not seem to pull the throttle. Also no matter how I tugged and pulled on it it did not pull the throttle in or make it stay pulled in. So now I notice that my looped overflow tube came loose and was pointing forward. I wonder if dust blew up in there and got in the bowl? Or maybe the lack of filters on the ones in the air box?

Either way it was almost worth wrecking the bike to get more messages than a thread from kranny asking what color socks he should wear today.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

Ok so maybe I'm mistaken on the throttle cable pulling out. I just went out in the garage and pulled on it and even though there some in and out play it does not seem to pull the throttle. Also no matter how I tugged and pulled on it it did not pull the throttle in or make it stay pulled in. So now I notice that my looped overflow tube came loose and was pointing forward. I wonder if dust blew up in there and got in the bowl? Or maybe the lack of filters on the ones in the air box?

Either way it was almost worth wrecking the bike to get more messages than a thread from kranny asking what color socks he should wear today.

That's hilarious! Glad you are able to keep your sense of humor. 

As mentioned,  steering stabilizer can be a culprit.  I've always opted for the routing guide add on from Scott's. 

I actually had mine on my 300rr catch once on the handlebar crossbar mounting bolt head. Freak thing, just hit a big set of rocks going up a hill at speed. Gets your attention fast! 

Scary situation and can happen very quickly! Smart on your part with insurance! 

Edited by firffighter

21 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

okay now thats 2 new betas that i know of that the throttle cable is secure.thats reassuring.now i have to bash my belovid orange bikes for letting that hazard slip through their qc.

• Like 1