NjBetaRider

2020 Beta possibly totatlled

22 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yeah maybe if ripping doubles and triples on an mx track billet triples may be a worthwhile thang. .... but hey whatever. To each their own. What do billet triples run now? Like 5 to 8 hundred?? I got some sale  adjustable billet Boano racing factory fancy pancy triples for my 525 . It’s supposed to be adjustable from 18 to 22mm offset? I ended up going back to stock offset and like it best there. I wouldn’t have bought them unless aI had them at a good deal. For enduro?? Nyaaa...Had some brp billet 19mm triples too I tried . I didn’t like them but those were supposed to be a little better for desert. 

Yeah I wasn't advocating going out and spending the money on them. I would not. Its nice some factories put them stock like all the Husky's have milled triples from the factory and the KTM Six Days has factory milled.

I do agree most riders do not need them unless you are aggressive or heavy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Slate said:

Yeah I wasn't advocating going out and spending the money on them. I would not. Its nice some factories put them stock like all the Husky's have milled triples from the factory and the KTM Six Days has factory milled.

I do agree most riders do not need them unless you are aggressive or heavy.

Yea well that’s another reason Beta costs less if buying a stock or race edition by a decent amount at least where I live.. and there’s a good 6 month warranty with Beta which doesn’t happen with ktm and Husky. Billet is a nice thing. It’s on the bottom of my list for an upgrade though. It’s more bling I think than a real benefit for the majority of riders but having a better component on your bike is always great. Everyone wants the best possible on their bike. To tell you the truth I didn’t check if the race edition Beta has billet clamps or not. I know they got upgraded cc forks. Another thing to look up for fun..more dirt bike trivia..

In the end though anyone can put billet triples on their bikes. Beta is easier because they can put it on for you if you like with a custom bike build ..Build Your Own Beta program. .  Everyone got their thing too. Some for instance are crazy about the lightness  of the bike thing with titanium bolt kits etc. I put the billet clamps as a better mod than that though but it’s still personal choices.

A billet triple clamp choice still could be a good thread topic.. maybe? Maybe not 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

2 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea well that’s another reason Beta costs less if buying a stock or race edition by a decent amount at least where I live.. and there’s a good 6 month warranty with Beta which doesn’t happen with ktm and Husky. Billet is a nice thing. It’s on the bottom of my list for an upgrade though. It’s more bling I think than a real benefit for the majority of riders but having a better component on your bike is always great. Everyone wants the best possible on their bike. To tell you the truth I didn’t check if the race edition Beta has billet clamps or not. I know they got upgraded cc forks. Another thing to look up for fun..more dirt bike trivia..

In the end though anyone can put billet triples on their bikes. Beta is easier because they can put it on for you if you like with a custom bike build ..Build Your Own Beta program. .  Everyone got their thing too. Some for instance are crazy about the lightness  of the bike thing with titanium bolt kits etc. I put the billet clamps as a better mod than that though but it’s still personal choices.

A billet triple clamp choice still could be a good thread topic.. maybe? Maybe not 

I think Beta makes great bikes. They have risen to the top of bike brands. My buddy rides Beta as well as a few local pro guys I see riding the trails time to time. Max Gerston and Joe Wasson.

I love the fact Beta makes a 480 race as opposed to just a 450.  And dirt bike mag did a dyno test and the Beta 430 put out more HP than KTM or Husky.

When I get a 4 stroke it will be a Beta 480.

Man all this argument over whether the triples being billet it or not crazy. From some of the literature I've read online they list the race editions as having black billet triples but at the break in mine they appear to be cast. I ordered boano racing billet triples to replace them just because it was the cheapest option.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the bike and wont know the outcome until I actually ride it. Until then I'm liking the 200 more than I thought I would. Insurance gave me enough money to buy the 200, and repair the 300re even after the salvage buy back. If I get it back together and its f'ed up than so be it I'll buy a 21 300re and keep this for parts. Frame looks good and so do the forks but a small tweak will become apparent after riding I'm sure if its there. 

• Helpful 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:52 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Thanks for the pictures here. Well looks pretty obvious so far. 

I’ve got and 18yr old KDX with a better looking slide/needle. I hope we get details on the entry point of the debris.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EzLivn said:

I’ve got and 18yr old KDX with a better looking slide/needle. I hope we get details on the entry point of the debris.

Yea well lit looks like a freak thing..a piece of pebble/ sand got in maybe changing a filter?? Idk ..whatever. It’s a huge bummer but it’s no a common thing at all.. It’s a super bummer freaky deaky super rare occurence on any bike. Good think is it wasn’t close to a cliff. So  it’s fix or buy new and he’s got some super spare parts. 

3 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

Man all this argument over whether the triples being billet it or not crazy. From some of the literature I've read online they list the race editions as having black billet triples but at the break in mine they appear to be cast. I ordered boano racing billet triples to replace them just because it was the cheapest option.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the bike and wont know the outcome until I actually ride it. Until then I'm liking the 200 more than I thought I would. Insurance gave me enough money to buy the 200, and repair the 300re even after the salvage buy back. If I get it back together and its f'ed up than so be it I'll buy a 21 300re and keep this for parts. Frame looks good and so do the forks but a small tweak will become apparent after riding I'm sure if its there. 

Maybe even if there’s a slight change in the frame alignment you still might not even notice it at all too. Hell you could maybe score a 200 and a 300 !!!!! Maybe you could find a nice demo 200. Whatever. We are just bullshitting now. It’s not a real argument at all... As it is you fix or buy new and youll be all good. Bummer it happened but you just adapt and overcome. You may actually come out ahead in this thing too.. That would be amazing. 

5 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Maybe even if there’s a slight change in the frame alignment you still might not even notice it at all too. Hell you could maybe score a 200 and a 300 !!!!! Maybe you could find a nice demo 200. Whatever. We are just bullshitting now. It’s not a real argument at all... As it is you fix or buy new and youll be all good. Bummer it happened but you just adapt and overcome. You may actually come out ahead in this thing too.. That would be amazing. 

Hawaii are you kidding, I picked up a 20 200rr on Saturday. I called around last week to see what was still available and this guy gave me an offer on one I couldn't refuse. From the phone calls I made to dealers on the east coast and posts on here I take it there are very few left. Probably less than 10. The dealer said the no more 20s are available and no word on 21s so anyone on the fence needs to make a move.

I have 2 theories about the damage. Either something came off the rag when I changed the air filter that morning or this damage happened way prior and the slide finally hung up that day. The air boot is spotless so it's not getting dusted and this was clearly a larger piece of debris. I just cant believe something managed to get stuck in that spot and get hammered away by the slide. 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, Support The Movement Inc said:

Not to say your wrong but I know from experience with two bikes once the rpms get so high the kill switch doesn't work lol shit I've even pulled a spark plug before at high rpm and it ran for a minute or two but I do agree all bikes have issues and sometimes it's not the owners fault it could have been the previous owner doing work that he had no business doing

Widebear alluded to the clutch.

OP bike was new so there was no nefarious previous owner. 

On 5/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Well Beta will come with whatever you order them to come with with Build your own Beta if wanting to go that route. That’s one benefit of buying a Beta that you don’t get with any other brand. You can have a custom bike made for you .. suspension and all. So anyone can order billet clamps if they like. I sure wouldn’t unless I wanted to change offset which I don’t. Really I don’t buy at all that a billet triples would make any difference at all in this freak accident. 

That could be a topic though... billet triple clamps? Is it worth it for enduro bikes? Is it worth it for Beta?  For me it’s more bling than anything.. unless changing offset??. ..but Betas handle very well as is. 

I think that maybe if the triple clamp had not given way there would have been more force directed to the handle bars and the rider. Perhaps they acted like a crumple zone. saving a couple of broken wrists.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redpillar said:

I think that maybe if the triple clamp had not given way there would have been more force directed to the handle bars and the rider. Perhaps they acted like a crumple zone. saving a couple of broken wrists.. 

It’s hard to tell. Maybe? We only saw some aftermath pics.. All I know is I’ve never seen so much damage on a stuck throttle bike. 

During the 1st enduro this year I came up on a guy with a 450 and started pushing him. So after a few minutes of this he let up and let me pass. Well now he starts pushing me and I hear that 450 growl on my ass. Anyway I pickup the pace and went over a small hill blind faster than I should have and there is a pine tree square in the middle of the trail. So I lock it up and hit the tree at a fairly slow speed go over the bars and then he hits me. I jumped up grabbed the bike and took back off in just a few seconds. 

I think back to that now and wonder if I hadn't weakened the triples with that hit as I did bend the front wheel a bit. Either way I would guess that them giving way did save me broken wrists because they are still hurting pretty bad. So if it was worse than that who knows.

I thought maybe by getting the 200 I'd tone it down a bit for the season but man that thing rips. For my local riding I bet it could be ridden faster for longer than a 300. Now when we go back into the mountains that's another story.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NjBetaRider said:

During the 1st enduro this year I came up on a guy with a 450 and started pushing him. So after a few minutes of this he let up and let me pass. Well now he starts pushing me and I hear that 450 growl on my ass. Anyway I pickup the pace and went over a small hill blind faster than I should have and there is a pine tree square in the middle of the trail. So I lock it up and hit the tree at a fairly slow speed go over the bars and then he hits me. I jumped up grabbed the bike and took back off in just a few seconds. 

I think back to that now and wonder if I hadn't weakened the triples with that hit as I did bend the front wheel a bit. Either way I would guess that them giving way did save me broken wrists because they are still hurting pretty bad. So if it was worse than that who knows.

I thought maybe by getting the 200 I'd tone it down a bit for the season but man that thing rips. For my local riding I bet it could be ridden faster for longer than a 300. Now when we go back into the mountains that's another story.

I don’t know about the triples.. whatever. Shit happens and you move on. In this case you could have both so great!!! 2 bikes!!

As far as the 200 vs 300 I’m thinking the same thing. I was switching back and forth riding a demo 200 rr and my 300 rr. I like them both.

5 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I don’t know about the triples.. whatever. Shit happens and you move on. In this case you could have both so great!!! 2 bikes!!

As far as the 200 vs 300 I’m thinking the same thing. I was switching back and forth riding a demo 200 rr and my 300 rr. I like them both.

Well I think they both have their place. There is a but of crossover on them but if I had to do some slow paced rocky hill climbs I'd leave the 200 at home. I'd rather not have to beat the clutch to death when a 300 could tractor right up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NjBetaRider said:

Well I think they both have their place. There is a but of crossover on them but if I had to do some slow paced rocky hill climbs I'd leave the 200 at home. I'd rather not have to beat the clutch to death when a 300 could tractor right up.

See that’s the thing . I’m 230 ish and the other guy riding the 200 is 270. I was very surprised at the amount of low end the 200 had. It lugs way beyond its displacement. We were riding some hills too.  I was trading back and forth between my 300 and the 200 rr. Both have their good and bad points..The 200 was more forgiving in little mistakes with the throttle. The 300 you had to be more precise. Both great though.