wallybean

2020 250 RR 10 hour review

I now have a little more than 10 hours of actual ride time on my 2020 Beta 250 RR.  I thought I would do a not so brief too early review.  

I bought this bike from Kolby Offroad in Idaho Falls, Idaho and BYOB at Beta USA.  Both were phenomenal in their communication and customer support.  I have always bought bikes in crates and assembled and built them myself.  I was kind of a dealer associated vendor.  Bill's Motorcycles Plus in Salem, Oregon has been a fantastic partner.  This purchase was on a completely different level and is a result of my retirement.  I am having so much fun with this project.

First off I had no budget and ordered every single option that I wanted in any way.  The only options that I have added myself due to availability are the Twisted engineering bars, RK Tek head, and Lectron 38H carb.  I don't typically add just visual bling so there isn't much of that on this bike.  My list of options is two pages long.  🐵

OK, enough bs, now to the riding:

I rode the bike as delivered stock twice.  Jetting was surprisingly good and the bike worked great.  I have the Sachs CC forks that have the latest updates.  They are amazingly good stock forks.  They take adjustment and once set for where I am I haven't touched them since.  I have yet to bottom them off some even surprising guille hump jumps.  Compliance is good and the bike tracks straight no matter the rocks and roots I hit.  The shock is a bit more shaky with adjustments and I really wish both hi and lo compression were more in the middle of adjustment as a base line.  I have been fairly confident with just some added rebound dampening.  OBTW, Beta USA nailed the springs for me on both ends.  The stock bike ran really flawlessly with a really smooth power delivery.  Handling is a bright spot.  I am coming off a 2017 Husqvarna TE150.  I was expecting a significant difference in lightness and flickability.  OK, there is a difference but much less than I was expecting.  Just the massive difference in torque is going to feel different but I was surprised at how quick the bike handled and how little effort and thought it takes to wind through the tight stuff.  I was really smiling through all my rides.  Initial fuel economy was ~25 mpg stock(measured after both rides).  FYI, My floats were set well.

I then rode the bike with just the RK Tek head and Twisted bars installed.  I love the difference a more efficient head makes on all bikes.  I have had a couple of RK Tek heads and have machined my own many times.  The motor is even smoother, cleaner and torqueir across the power band! Best motor mod you can make.  The RK Tek head does lower engine temps.  At 63, I need all the help I can get to reduce impact to all my ailing joints and the TE bars really work(I am extremely high mileage).  This is my third set and what a difference over solid bars.  Much reduced elbow, wrist, and shoulder pain.  The new counter-balanced motor is good not perfect compared to the KTM/Husky 250 and 300 since 2017.  I can say I don't notice the vibration at all except for the occasional transfer double track that I am cruising on through my pegs.  Even then it is not obtrusive.  I averaged 28 mpg with the new head on virtually identical terrain.

The last couple of rides have been with the Lectron 38H carb installed.  I have been using Lectrons for 10 years now and have a ton of experience getting them setup.  Once set they work as advertised and I have rarely if ever adjusted them again for the life of the bike.  This carb was perfect straight from Dave at Lectron, amazing.  I have only ridden it from 3000' to 7500' so far but it is flawless so far.  It actually increased bottom end response over the stock Keihin and RK Tek head.  The RK head and well setup Lectron really make an amazing pairing.  Smooth, immediate response across the powerband.  I am sure you can get the stock Keihin to operate as well but it will take small adjustments for widely different elevations.  I have averaged over 35 mpg the last two rides!  Same terrain, same rider, same speed.  Not a "perfect" comparison but in line with what I have experienced in the past.  As far as talent level of the rider....I am slow at this point in life.  I average ~16-17 mph on some pretty gnarly stuff.  An "A" rider would be averaging 20-25 through the same area when pushing it.  

I hope to do a comprehensive review at ~50 hours some time this summer if anyone wants to hear me blather on.  Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.

Bike changes from stock:

Kickstart kit, 2 stroke fan(hasn't run yet), Turbine Core spark arrestor, Bulletproof Rad guards, Springs for weight, XTig adjuster, Bullet proof front disc guard,  Fastway Pro adjustable linkage guard, Guts gripper seat, Heat resistant brake pads, hex head brake pin, Tubliss front and back, OI removal kit installed, Rekluse CX clutch, Tach hour meter, TM rear chain guide, TM rear disk guard, Twisted Engineering bars and bark busters, Shinko 505 Cheater and fatty front, Lectron 38H, RK Tek head machined for 96 octane fuel.

I have removed the stock Beta switch gear and installed KTM start and kill buttons, and trail tech light/brake/horn button(small and movable).  Much cleaner and I was able to clean up the wiring.  I moved the wiring harness below the rad inlet hose and reinforced to hopefully eliminate wire breakage.  I also sealed and greased all the unused connections.  

Pros:

Handling, Sachs CC Forks, Motor, Motor, Motor, and overall build quality.

Cons:

Stock Sachs shock seems limited, Stock seat makes a 2x4 look like a luxury item.  (I have a destroyed, bone on bone knee and can only stand for so long per ride)(putting off replacement as long as I can), Wiring meant for Euro compliance isn't needed for most of us.  My bike is road legal and licensed in Montana without blinkers, not that I ever ride there.  The Forest cops can enforce this though if you are linking trails.

Feel free to let me know what you think good or bad

• Like 5
  • Helpful 8

15 minutes ago, wallybean said:

I now have a little more than 10 hours of actual ride time on my 2020 Beta 250 RR.  I thought I would do a not so brief too early review.  

I bought this bike from Kolby Offroad in Idaho Falls, Idaho and BYOB at Beta USA.  Both were phenomenal in their communication and customer support.  I have always bought bikes in crates and assembled and built them myself.  I was kind of a dealer associated vendor.  Bill's Motorcycles Plus in Salem, Oregon has been a fantastic partner.  This purchase was on a completely different level and is a result of my retirement.  I am having so much fun with this project.

First off I had no budget and ordered every single option that I wanted in any way.  The only options that I have added myself due to availability are the Twisted engineering bars, RK Tek head, and Lectron 38H carb.  I don't typically add just visual bling so there isn't much of that on this bike.  My list of options is two pages long.  🐵

I rode the bike as delivered stock twice.  Jetting was surprisingly good and the bike worked great.  I have the Sachs CC forks that have the latest updates.  They are amazingly good stock forks.  They take adjustment and once set for where I am I haven't touched them since.  I have yet to bottom them off some even surprising guille hump jumps.  Compliance is good and the bike tracks straight no matter the rocks and roots I hit.  The shock is a bit more shaky with adjustments and I really wish both hi and lo compression were more in the middle of adjustment as a base line.  I have been fairly confident with just some added rebound dampening.  OBTW, Beta USA nailed the springs for me on both ends.  The stock bike ran really flawlessly with a really smooth power delivery.  Handling is a bright spot.  I am coming off a 2017 Husqvarna TE150.  I was expecting a significant difference in lightness and flickability.  OK, there is a difference but much less than I was expecting.  Just the massive difference in torque is going to feel different but I was surprised at how quick the bike handled and how little effort and thought it takes to wind through the tight stuff.  I was really smiling through all my rides.  Initial fuel economy was ~25 mpg stock(measured after both rides).  FYI, My floats were set well.

I then rode the bike with just the RK Tek head and Twisted bars installed.  I love the difference a more efficient head makes on all bikes.  I have had a couple of RK Tek heads and have machined my own many times.  The motor is even smoother, cleaner and torqueir across the power band! Best motor mod you can make.  The RK Tek head does lower engine temps.  At 63, I need all the help I can get to reduce impact to all my ailing joints and the TE bars really work(I am extremely high mileage).  This is my third set and what a difference over solid bars.  Much reduced elbow, wrist, and shoulder pain.  The new counter-balanced motor is good not perfect compared to the KTM/Husky 250 and 300 since 2017.  I can say I don't notice the vibration at all except for the occasional transfer double track that I am cruising on through my pegs.  Even then it is not obtrusive.  I averaged 28 mpg with the new head on virtually identical terrain.

The last couple of rides have been with the Lectron 38H carb installed.  I have been using Lectrons for 10 years now and have a ton of experience getting them setup.  Once set they work as advertised and I have rarely if ever adjusted them again for the life of the bike.  This carb was perfect straight from Dave at Lectron, amazing.  I have only ridden it from 3000' to 7500' so far but it is flawless so far.  It actually increased bottom end response over the stock Keihin and RK Tek head.  The RK head and well setup Lectron really make an amazing pairing.  Smooth, immediate response across the powerband.  I am sure you can get the stock Keihin to operate as well but it will take small adjustments for widely different elevations.  I have averaged over 35 mpg the last two rides!  Same terrain, same rider, same speed.  Not a "perfect" comparison but in line with what I have experienced in the past.  As far as talent level of the rider....I am slow at this point in life.  I average ~16-17 mph on some pretty gnarly stuff.  An "A" rider would be averaging 20-25 through the same area when pushing it.  

I hope to do a comprehensive review at ~50 hours some time this summer if anyone wants to hear me blather on.  Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.

Bike changes from stock:

Kickstart kit, 2 stroke fan(hasn't run yet), Turbine Core spark arrestor, Bulletproof Rad guards, Springs for weight, XTig adjuster, Bullet proof front disc guard,  Fastway Pro adjustable linkage guard, Guts gripper seat, Heat resistant brake pads, hex head brake pin, Tubliss front and back, OI removal kit installed, Rekluse CX clutch, Tach hour meter, TM rear chain guide, TM rear disk guard, Twisted Engineering bars and bark busters, Shinko 505 Cheater and fatty front, Lectron 38H, RK Tek head machined for 96 octane fuel.

I have removed the stock Beta switch gear and installed KTM start and kill buttons, and trail tech light/brake/horn button(small and movable).  Much cleaner and I was able to clean up the wiring.  I moved the wiring harness below the rad inlet hose and reinforced to hopefully eliminate wire breakage.  I also sealed and greased all the unused connections.  

Pros:

Cons:

Stock Sachs shock seems limited, Stock seat makes a 2x4 look like a luxury item.  (I have a destroyed, bone on bone knee and can only stand for so long per ride)(putting off replacement as long as I can), Wiring meant for Euro compliance isn't needed for most of us.  My bike is road legal and licensed in Montana without blinkers, not that I ever ride there.  The Forest cops can enforce this though if you are linking trails.

Fantastic comprehensive review Walt! Appreciate you sharing and looking forward to more reporting! 

My brother's '15 Beta 250RR is also extremely well sorted with RB carb, RB head (running RK currently), X trainer PV spacer,  Kreft valved suspension,  etc. Best 250 I've ever ridden.  

The 250 has a very high fun factor! 

• Like 1

PS, I did remove the nut on the steering stops and replaced with a smaller washer and lock washer.  I did slighly modify the radiator to allow clearance.  Now turns as tight as my 150 on tight switchbacks without needing to pivot turn, especially downhill.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

how much do you weigh? Those are some impressive MPGs. I had no luck with either the Lectron or RK Tek head for fuel efficiency but I am a big load for the motor to pull.

I am pretty meticulous setting up my wheel sensor and it is right on the money with distance and speed for my Voyager.  GPS distance is always slightly higher but not as accurate.  Just because I get a certain fuel mileage doesn't mean anyone else will get those numbers.  We all ride differently.  

I will continue to measure fuel consumed every ride and plot mileage until I have a significantly broader base line.  I do know that I never ride with fuel savings in mind, just want to know what to expect and when I have to pack gas.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, firffighter said:

Fantastic comprehensive review Walt! Appreciate you sharing and looking forward to more reporting! 

My brother's '15 Beta 250RR is also extremely well sorted with RB carb, RB head (running RK currently), X trainer PV spacer,  Kreft valved suspension,  etc. Best 250 I've ever ridden.  

The 250 has a very high fun factor! 

I really liked the Kreft re-valve control suspension I had on my 150.  Really good!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wallybean said:

Bike changes from stock:

Pros:

Cons:

what are the part numbers for the added switches and were they a direct connection to the wiring harness?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wallybean said:

I really liked the Kreft re-valve control suspension I had on my 150.  Really good!

I wish he still did work on Sachs. My brother's '15 is unbelievably good.  

BTW,  I was getting 37 mpg with my '18 300rr with Keihn and RK Tek head.  

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wallybean said:

I am pretty meticulous setting up my wheel sensor and it is right on the money with distance and speed for my Voyager.  GPS distance is always slightly higher but not as accurate.  Just because I get a certain fuel mileage doesn't mean anyone else will get those numbers.  We all ride differently.  

I will continue to measure fuel consumed every ride and plot mileage until I have a significantly broader base line.  I do know that I never ride with fuel savings in mind, just want to know what to expect and when I have to pack gas.

Post up a pic when you can! Sounds like an awesome bike.

1 hour ago, SigPig said:

what are the part numbers for the added switches and were they a direct connection to the wiring harness?

Here are the videos that I used to do this: 

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Wilderness said:

Post up a pic when you can! Sounds like an awesome bike.

New and shots from my last two rides:

2020 Beta 250 RR pic2.jpg

2020 Beta 250 RR pic3.jpg

5-16-20-2.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

I wish he still did work on Sachs. My brother's '15 is unbelievably good.  

BTW,  I was getting 37 mpg with my '18 300rr with Keihn and RK Tek head.  

I used to routinely get between 35 and 40 with my 2000 Husky 360 and Keihin.  Of course small throttle openings created significant speed in any gear at any time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wallybean said:

5-16-20-2.jpg

Why do you guys always have to show off the snow-capped mountains in your bike photos? Why? Arggghhhhh!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Its just to remind me that we still have 2-4 feet of snow where we normally ride.  

OBTW, 505 cheater sucks as a snow tire.  Trying to break through snow drifts was a real workout last ride.

Edited by wallybean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtdirtbag said:

Good write up Wallybean, much appreciated. You're in the Bitteroot are you not?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I am.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wallybean said:

5-16-20-2.jpg

Very nice looking bike and a great write-up. Thanks.

Also, I thinks that's my pipe guard on there 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TM.Tyler said:

Very nice looking bike and a great write-up. Thanks.

Also, I thinks that's my pipe guard on there 🙂

Yes it is and only minor scratches so far.  By mid summer it will be hashed up.  Thanks for the good price and dropping it off at Kolby Offroad!

Edited by wallybean
  • Like 2

Awesome report.  

I am a little surprised on the very positive report on the Lectron carb, at least compared to the number of other not so positive reviews.