Jump to content
wallybean

2020 250 RR 10 hour review

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Chas_M said:

Awesome report.  

I am a little surprised on the very positive report on the Lectron carb, at least compared to the number of other not so positive reviews.

Thanks Chas!  

There are always two sides to any story.  Many people for a number of reasons have issues with the Lectron, it really has to fit your needs. It requires the same level of initial setup that any carb requires no matter advertisements.  My experience has been the opposite but a lot of that has to do with just the sheer amount of time I have spent working with them.  Just as if you hand JD a Keihin or to a lesser extent a Mikuni, he will get superior results.  Some of the best hp I ever got out of a 165 kit was from a perfect for the moment Mikuni TMXX, the same can be said for a perfect for the moment series one cast SC.  Neither worked for my needs in the broad spectrum I ride without continual tinkering.  I think that jetting as many have said is a personal perspective that works for the individual.  I have just chosen for better or worse to dedicate my time to metering rod carbs because I "like" them and they meet "my" needs.  This is the first metering rod carb I have gotten that was set perfectly as delivered!  That's a lot of carbs.  I have routinely changed rods and adjustments to get them where I or the rider was happy.  It really is no different from a standard carb but more expensive.  I find the results worth it but that is just me.

As with bikes in general we live in a time of so many good bikes and so many options for fueling.  Anyone that had to deal with an Amal carb on the late sixties, early seventies Husqvarnas is purely giddy with our great options.

I apologize for the long winded reply but there is nothing simple about 2T dirt bikers opinions on carbs/injection.  My next thread will be on what oil to use for premix, OI, trannies, and your significant other.

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Randy,

Mine has a 4-2m rod in it.  I am still stunned by how good it was right out of the box.  They really got it right. (I know even a dead clock is right twice a day)  Rode 36 miles of single track yesterday averaging 19 mph, which is fairly quick for me at this point.  Not the gnarliest of trails but not quite a highway like I have seen from one rider my age that is always on here with "positive" input. Used all of 112 oz. of fuel.  That's 41 mpg for those that don't want to do the math.  Trail starts at 4500' and peaks out at about 7000', not a lot of elevation change compared with a summer ride here.  I weighed myself ready to ride and was a very portly 245#'s.  Only 30#'s was gear and pack.  Its been a long winter/spring.

I know that running 50% leaded fuel and the RK Tek head cut to match help a GREAT deal.  Still the bike runs amazing.  At some point I will take the rod out and measure where it is at but didn't to start simply because I always have to adjust.  I still think that jetting is very personal and another rider might think the jetting is to on edge and immediate.  I might richen it up a 1/4 to 1/2 turn just to see.  It runs great....must screw with it now?!  Pulls too hard you say, let's make it run worse. 🐵

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Wally, I just got gifted a lectron takeoff from an orange 250. Turns out it he had mechanical issues that no carb would fix. It has a 4-2m in it also. I was going to order a 3-2 but maybe I'll just throw it in my 300 to see how it goes. If you do get a chance to measure the rod length I would appreciate it. My buddy screwed with it so much that I don't know where base line is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, great looking bike and I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

 

Can you tell me what the reasoning is for Pumping up a 250 with the RK Tek head, for more torque vs buying a 300rr instead? This is a serious question, you seem to have a lot of experience with bikes and I’d like to know how those two would compare more or less.

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higher compression heads in general add bottom and tend to smooth out powerbands. This will still leave you with the faster rev'ing 250 motor when you want it but gives you the grunt down low that approximates a 300.  Kind of best of both worlds.  The RK Tek head also runs a bit cooler than most heads.  RK Tek will cut your head for the riding and general conditions you experience.  I tend to be at higher altitudes so the added bottom/mid is a big plus.  

Now this is just my opinion and just like aholes we all have one.😁

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a head modded on a 250XC. It was easy enough to notice the increased low end. I'm really happy with the stock engine myself, but I'm at 1000' or so and I assume your riding a good bit higher Wally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great write up. Just visited Stevenville and rode Mt. St. Mary's  national forest trails. Maybe those were your tracks that went all the way to the top? Beautiful there, I'm ruined now for TX trails. 

 I have always wanted Twisted Handlebars, but it seems they were barely in business and non responsive. Since you have had 3 sets you are familiar with them, can you expand upon the order process? I've just retired, 1 year younger and have many of the same ailments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Crosspower said:

I had a head modded on a 250XC. It was easy enough to notice the increased low end. I'm really happy with the stock engine myself, but I'm at 1000' or so and I assume your riding a good bit higher Wally.

I don't ride below 4-5K' most of the year so the extra is welcome.  We will see if it is more than I want this winter when I am down south at much lower elevations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Great write up. Just visited Stevenville and rode Mt. St. Mary's  national forest trails. Maybe those were your tracks that went all the way to the top? Beautiful there, I'm ruined now for TX trails. 

 I have always wanted Twisted Handlebars, but it seems they were barely in business and non responsive. Since you have had 3 sets you are familiar with them, can you expand upon the order process? I've just retired, 1 year younger and have many of the same ailments.

St. Maries is gorgeous like most all of our trails.  Kind of short and benign.  We only have a couple of trails available to us on that side of the valley because of the wilderness access.  If a trail leads to a wilderness trail it is closed to us since about 2000.  Please let me know the next time you are in the area and I can lead you astray. You might hate me afterwards but you will love every minute of it.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now have 35 hours on the bike.  Love it!  The motor is to die for.  Pulls from idle to more than I want with no hiccups.  Fueling is perfect with the Lectron.  I check mileage after every ride and have yet to get below 34 mpg.  Rode 115 miles between Tuesday and Wednesday, total fuel used 372 oz.  Thats just a tad over 39.5 mpg.  That's averaging 15 mph on some serious Idaho single track with about 20 miles total logging road to connect trails.  Was supposed to ride Thursday but was so whipped I will pass until this weekend.  I also like that the power valve spring adjustment makes a huge difference.  I ended up back at stock for the gnarly stuff here but I can see adjusting it out when in the desert.

The Forks are awesome and have needed very little adjustment.  I really like them.  The shock is a bit of a work in progress.  I tend to make very small changes and then ride a lot before making more.  I just feel that the bike is so much more capable than I am that sneaking up on adjustments works best for me.  I am probably about 2 or 3 clicks from where I want to be on rebound and compression is close.  I think that Steve(MotoXGiant) did a very good job and will be sending him my Marzocchi forks and sachs shock off my 177 for rebuild/revalve this fall before I go south.

Beta electrics:  Probably the weakest link for the Beta.  I haven't had a problem but I did follow the re-wiring diagrams to make a new ground lead from the rectifier/regulator to the coil ground.  Really easy and probably a permanent fix.  I reinforced the wiring harness in the steering head area and rerouted it below the rad inlet.  Very little kinking now.  BUT, what a rats nest.  I eliminated most of the handle bar controls for simple, separate kill switch and starter switch.  I also added a separate light switch that allows all three positions with the horn button.  I kept the horn because I think it is much easier to hear in tough spots for other riders.  I rarely ride in wet areas with mud so should last a while.  Pulled the Beta speedo immediately so I can't comment on it's issues.  I can say a voyager with just a bit of massaging fits in the stock position perfectly.  

Positive changes I don't want to live without:

Beta 250 RR motor

Twisted Engineering bars

Seat concepts comfort seat

RK Tek Head

Lectron carb

Tubliss front and rear

Updated and MotoxGiant revalved Sachs CC forks(still working on the shock/it is better than stock by far)

Rekluse Radius CX clutch and Left hand rear brake(I can operate both the clutch and rear brake with my left hand at the same time)(ok not well but that is a rider issue) This combination allows me to ride at least one level above what I would be able to at this point without them.

Cons that I would want to see changed:

That wiring situation could be better😏

Stock shock was pretty limited for useful adjustment

The stock seat or any standard Beta seat is a torture device

That's about it for con's that I want changed for new models.

I have always had "decent" communication and results from Twisted Engineering.  First copy the email link into your email contact line and email them manually.  Quick response almost every time.  Then let them know what you want and they will either place your order from your email or allow you a response from their web site ordering page.  If in doubt a phone call worked also.  Just set up the time in an email.  The product is worth the effort if it is expensive.  I paid roughly double for this last set than I did for my first set quite a few years ago.  Its a small company and I think they are always dealing with the conundrum of company growth versus actual return. 

If I was willing to pack a saw on the Beta, I would have at least another 20 hours on the clock but that is what my small bores are for now.  They just make trail clearing less taxing.

Wow that was a mouthful, thanks for reading!

  • Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wallybean said:

I now have 35 hours on the bike.  Love it!  The motor is to die for.  Pulls from idle to more than I want with no hiccups.  Fueling is perfect with the Lectron.  I check mileage after every ride and have yet to get below 34 mpg.  Rode 115 miles between Tuesday and Wednesday, total fuel used 372 oz.  Thats just a tad over 39.5 mpg.  That's averaging 15 mph on some serious Idaho single track with about 20 miles total logging road to connect trails.  Was supposed to ride Thursday but was so whipped I will pass until this weekend.  I also like that the power valve spring adjustment makes a huge difference.  I ended up back at stock for the gnarly stuff here but I can see adjusting it out when in the desert.

The Forks are awesome and have needed very little adjustment.  I really like them.  The shock is a bit of a work in progress.  I tend to make very small changes and then ride a lot before making more.  I just feel that the bike is so much more capable than I am that sneaking up on adjustments works best for me.  I am probably about 2 or 3 clicks from where I want to be on rebound and compression is close.  I think that Steve(MotoXGiant) did a very good job and will be sending him my Marzocchi forks and sachs shock off my 177 for rebuild/revalve this fall before I go south.

Beta electrics:  Probably the weakest link for the Beta.  I haven't had a problem but I did follow the re-wiring diagrams to make a new ground lead from the rectifier/regulator to the coil ground.  Really easy and probably a permanent fix.  I reinforced the wiring harness in the steering head area and rerouted it below the rad inlet.  Very little kinking now.  BUT, what a rats nest.  I eliminated most of the handle bar controls for simple, separate kill switch and starter switch.  I also added a separate light switch that allows all three positions with the horn button.  I kept the horn because I think it is much easier to hear in tough spots for other riders.  I rarely ride in wet areas with mud so should last a while.  Pulled the Beta speedo immediately so I can't comment on it's issues.  I can say a voyager with just a bit of massaging fits in the stock position perfectly.  

Positive changes I don't want to live without:

Beta 250 RR motor

Twisted Engineering bars

Seat concepts comfort seat

RK Tek Head

Lectron carb

Tubliss front and rear

Updated and MotoxGiant revalved Sachs CC forks(still working on the shock/it is better than stock by far)

Rekluse Radius CX clutch and Left hand rear brake(I can operate both the clutch and rear brake with my left hand at the same time)(ok not well but that is a rider issue) This combination allows me to ride at least one level above what I would be able to at this point without them.

Cons that I would want to see changed:

That wiring situation could be better😏

Stock shock was pretty limited for useful adjustment

The stock seat or any standard Beta seat is a torture device

That's about it for con's that I want changed for new models.

I have always had "decent" communication and results from Twisted Engineering.  First copy the email link into your email contact line and email them manually.  Quick response almost every time.  Then let them know what you want and they will either place your order from your email or allow you a response from their web site ordering page.  If in doubt a phone call worked also.  Just set up the time in an email.  The product is worth the effort if it is expensive.  I paid roughly double for this last set than I did for my first set quite a few years ago.  Its a small company and I think they are always dealing with the conundrum of company growth versus actual return. 

If I was willing to pack a saw on the Beta, I would have at least another 20 hours on the clock but that is what my small bores are for now.  They just make trail clearing less taxing.

Wow that was a mouthful, thanks for reading!

Awesome review! Did your bike come standard with Sachs CC forks? I thought they were OC on the standard RR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

Awesome review! Did your bike come standard with Sachs CC forks? I thought they were OC on the standard RR.

I BYOB'd the upgraded CC Sachs.  Really a steal of a deal.  I couldn't be happier with them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 11:31 PM, wallybean said:

I BYOB'd the upgraded CC Sachs.  Really a steal of a deal.  I couldn't be happier with them.

Wally: I did a break-in ride today on a sister bike to yours. By the end of the day it felt like a bike I'd ridden for years. Easy to move around on, decent power, very well balanced chassis- and engine-wise . I ended up 1/4 turn out from stock on the PV. Stock jetting on the Keihin worked very well at 1000 ft/ 85F. I'm letting the forks break in and then I'll use the valving I developed for you as a starting point. The shock seemed decent enough but was rebounding quickly. I'll let that break in as well and then get busy on it.

Edited by motoxgiant
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

Wally: I did a break-in ride today on a sister bike to yours. By the end of the day it felt like a bike I'd ridden for years. Easy to move around on, decent power, very well balanced chassis- and engine-wise . I ended up 1/4 turn out from stock on the PV. Stock jetting on the Keihin worked very well at 1000 ft/ 85F. I'm letting the forks break in and then I'll use the valving I developed for you as a starting point. The shock seemed decent enough but was rebounding quickly. I'll let that break in as well and then get busy on it.

If I wasn't riding such significant elevation changes, I would still be using the stock Keihin.  It works very well.  Both rides in Idaho last week started at 4300' and both peaked above 9000' and everywhere in between multiple times during each day.  Gave the Lectron zero thought at any point during the rides which is what I like.  Next week I will be riding up to ~11,000' from about 6000' and I won't adjust anything.  It is kind of a lazy rider outlook but at this point I just want to ride when I am healthy and get the chance.

Thanks for all you do Steve!  I would like to know where you end up after your adjustments and compare to mine.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...