Jump to content
Marc Hanses

Stuck to my oil drain plug

Recommended Posts

This was stuck to my magnetic oil drain plug today during a oil change . Motor runs perfect and makes no noise . Just blown away to see this . Anyone recognize it ? It's not damaged  this is the whole piece intact. 

IMG_20200517_164817.jpg

IMG_20200517_164900.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me looks like a clutch basket 1/2 washer, there's another Half, you put the two together. when installing the basket. Look at the parts fische for your model

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a head cam journal half ring for Suzuki DR350...

Now just find out where it came from. Work on it recently, or buy used recently? It's 1 piece, not broke... so start look'n!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup correct on the clutch basket i just figured it out looking at schematics. This bike had a recluse put in it and the mechanic dropped this in the Motor during the removal of the stock clutch . Crazy huh ! Geeze I was thinking my motor was a gonner 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marc Hanses said:

Yup correct on the clutch basket i just figured it out looking at schematics. This bike had a recluse put in it and the mechanic dropped this in the Motor during the removal of the stock clutch . Crazy huh ! Geeze I was thinking my motor was a gonner 

He's not a mechanic if he doesn't account for all the parts or if he did and ignored the fact he dropped one in your engine

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gitenby said:

He's not a mechanic if he doesn't account for all the parts or if he did and ignored the fact he dropped one in your engine

...AND DIDN'T TELL YOU!!!  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Edited by cadman_ks
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

This is why I'm so reluctant to let a shop work on my bike even for warranty type repairs.  Most power sports dealerships are employing kids with no schooling or certifications to wrench on bikes.  Some of the stuff I've seen is ridiculous.  I like my dealership, but have found hysterical stuff on my new bikes.  They really can't even assemble a bike out of a crate correctly.   I have seem so many KTMs with the fork protector stickers on upside down or swapped left to right.   Since the forks are tapered if you swap them left to right they fit incorrectly.  It blows my mind that people who's job it is to do this 8 hours a day don't even have enough knowledge about their own products to put the fork stickers on correctly.

Had that washer torn up the bottom end do you think they would have taken responsibility and done a full rebuild using all OEM parts on their dime?   No, no they wouldn't have.

Sorry for the rant, but it really pisses me off especially when shops are charging people $80/hr - $100/hr for labor and they are probably paying those kids $10/hr - $12/hr.

Doc

 

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 1/2 ring should have been easy to fish out with a  pencil magnet if the case port was big enough to swallow it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree guys . I own a bicycle shop been wrenching my whole life . I won't hire anyone that's not an experienced wrench . Very often I'm running my shop alone cause of this . I bought this bike used and it already had the recluse . I was hoping this half washer was part of that install . Thank God it was . Yes could of been retracted with a magnet . Guess the mechanic didn't notice it . I'm so grateful it was just laying in the bottom of the case all this time. Got lucky . I sure appreciate all your replys thank you .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Burnrider said:

That 1/2 ring should have been easy to fish out with a  pencil magnet if the case port was big enough to swallow it. 

 

6 hours ago, Doc_d said:

 

This is why I'm so reluctant to let a shop work on my bike even for warranty type repairs.  Most power sports dealerships are employing kids with no schooling or certifications to wrench on bikes.  Some of the stuff I've seen is ridiculous.  I like my dealership, but have found hysterical stuff on my new bikes.  They really can't even assemble a bike out of a crate correctly.   I have seem so many KTMs with the fork protector stickers on upside down or swapped left to right.   Since the forks are tapered if you swap them left to right they fit incorrectly.  It blows my mind that people who's job it is to do this 8 hours a day don't even have enough knowledge about their own products to put the fork stickers on correctly.

Had that washer torn up the bottom end do you think they would have taken responsibility and done a full rebuild using all OEM parts on their dime?   No, no they wouldn't have.

Sorry for the rant, but it really pisses me off especially when shops are charging people $80/hr - $100/hr for labor and they are probably paying those kids $10/hr - $12/hr.

Doc

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never trust anyone to work on your vehicles as no one will put in as much care as the owner plus the money u save can be invested in tools for even more DIY repairs, mounting tires was the only thing I didn't handle myself but after a shop put my directional tire on backwards I purchased a bead breaker, tire irons and wheel balancer and haven't been back to a shop since, now days it's so easy to find anything u need online shipped to your door why wouldn't u handle yourself

6 hours ago, Doc_d said:

 

This is why I'm so reluctant to let a shop work on my bike even for warranty type repairs.  Most power sports dealerships are employing kids with no schooling or certifications to wrench on bikes.  Some of the stuff I've seen is ridiculous.  I like my dealership, but have found hysterical stuff on my new bikes.  They really can't even assemble a bike out of a crate correctly.   I have seem so many KTMs with the fork protector stickers on upside down or swapped left to right.   Since the forks are tapered if you swap them left to right they fit incorrectly.  It blows my mind that people who's job it is to do this 8 hours a day don't even have enough knowledge about their own products to put the fork stickers on correctly.

Had that washer torn up the bottom end do you think they would have taken responsibility and done a full rebuild using all OEM parts on their dime?   No, no they wouldn't have.

Sorry for the rant, but it really pisses me off especially when shops are charging people $80/hr - $100/hr for labor and they are probably paying those kids $10/hr - $12/hr.

Doc

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know a number of riders who refuse to work on their bikes no matter what. You shouldn't ride a dirt bike unless you can work on it- but they just toss plastic across the counter. Even a good shop can't afford to put owner detail work in a customer bike. That's why we're here. Same for cars, go to the truck forums and read their posts about doing business with the Stealership.

Edited by Burnrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gitenby said:

He's not a mechanic if he doesn't account for all the parts or if he did and ignored the fact he dropped one in your engine

Found the tool to hold down the bucket (shim on top of bucket) on the mag drain plug of  a KZ900.  Tech dropped it when he adjusted the valve.  I f he would have seen how we drove those things (mostly on the rear wheel) it would have given him motivation to retrieve it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why i do all work on my bikes - then only i can get the blame for my incompetence  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally unacceptable and sloppy workmanship.  Things like that could be catastrophic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Burnrider said:

I know a number of riders who refuse to work on their bikes no matter what. You shouldn't ride a dirt bike unless you can work on it- but they just toss plastic across the counter. Even a good shop can't afford to put owner detail work in a customer bike. That's why we're here. Same for cars, go to the truck forums and read their posts about doing business with the Stealership.

I disagree with this to a certain extent.  I think that it's good if you can work on your own bike, but that's not a requirement to ride in my opinion.  Bikes are definitely "easier" to work on.  Now, when it comes to tearing inside the engine, all bets are off as to whether or not everyone should be in there.  Parts are expensive in there, and the last thing anyone needs is to put a bunch of parts in, and then have it grenade in two hours, messing up even more stuff.  Again, I don't think that you should be able to work on everything to own a bike.

Cars and trucks, entirely different story.  When it comes to new(er) vehicles, there's almost nothing you can do at home anymore.  Modern day cars have too many sensors, computers, and specialty tools that make working on them, all but impossible without all of the right tools.  You and I can't afford to buy the "right" tools, and without them, some jobs just simply can't be completed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, not everyone should work on their bikes. Heck, I just do it , cause I have too.

Now on cars, it just depends on if I feel like it or not, or too labor intense.  My wifes Toyota was in the shop one time, having a coil replaced, and they said the compressor was making alot of noise. A year later I was checking it myself and it was not the compressor at all,  it was the water pump . I had another shop do the water pump, and the damn thing has a drip , so now Ill eventually have it replaced again. Ive dealt with the drip for about 2 years now.

But yes, you have to keep a close eye on people and shops doing your work.

With the time, I put on my KTM, no way I could afford without doing the work myself, but if I need a specialty repair (tool required), I'll let a shop do that , $50 well spent. Otherwise you can be talking thousands of dollars, and still may end up with half A$$ work

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

DO NOT LET ANYONE WORK ON YOUR BIKE!  A shops screwup can get you killed on a motorcycle.   We have Thumper Talk, we have ADVrider.  Hell we have the whole world to help us, even China riders (I love to read their posts, so exotic and yet the same).   I don't even like letting a dealership put together my new bikes.

I just bought my first motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight, what a godsend!

I have a very good and honest car mechanic I use when I have to,  but a screwup on car repairs is much less likely to kill you.

Edited by OFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, Doc_d said:

 

This is why I'm so reluctant to let a shop work on my bike even for warranty type repairs.  Most power sports dealerships are employing kids with no schooling or certifications to wrench on bikes.  Some of the stuff I've seen is ridiculous.  I like my dealership, but have found hysterical stuff on my new bikes.  They really can't even assemble a bike out of a crate correctly.   I have seem so many KTMs with the fork protector stickers on upside down or swapped left to right.   Since the forks are tapered if you swap them left to right they fit incorrectly.  It blows my mind that people who's job it is to do this 8 hours a day don't even have enough knowledge about their own products to put the fork stickers on correctly.

Had that washer torn up the bottom end do you think they would have taken responsibility and done a full rebuild using all OEM parts on their dime?   No, no they wouldn't have.

Sorry for the rant, but it really pisses me off especially when shops are charging people $80/hr - $100/hr for labor and they are probably paying those kids $10/hr - $12/hr.

Doc

 

I am the same way about everything I own, I don't want anyone touching anything. There is one motorcycle dealership here in NJ that my friend bought his bike in for service and the shop filled his oil case to the top, like you fill a lawn mower. He called the shop and the owner said bring the bike back ASAP, he said "no way". We all had a story about that shop working on our bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...