Ram 1500 and a carrier

Running a 2016 ram 1500 5.7 ltr, dual exhaust out the back. 

Im a new rider and have a question for anybody running the same truck and using a hitch carrier.

Tried to load bike with a ramp solo and failed so I bought the carrier smc-600r.

Bad idea with the dual exhaust? Heat? Residue?

Tons of my riding buddies have pickups with short beds and use hitch carrier with no issues.
Just have some redundancy in your tiedowns. A single tiedown can break and the bike will fall off.
One buddy drug his new 300 Sherco nearly a quarter miles. When he stopped and tried to pick it
up, the handgrip burned his hand.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the quick reply’s there guys.

Great pic there fastback. Nice looking bikes and rig. Love that husky.

Guy at work got me thinking about exhaust heat and soot,so your pic sort of put my mind at ease.

Was going to tie down at triple clamp to avoid compressing shocks. You ever?

Thanks again man.

Jeff

I see your Ram is Hemi, which is good, as if it was a 3.0, no good. I doubt the heat would be a issue, I'd bet those parts get hotter baking in the summer sun than exhaust from the truck. Straps. Yes you tie down at the triples, they actually sell these little hoop thing that bolt to your triple clamps just for that. Me, I'm really really wanting to make/try out "strapless tie downs". They appear so convenient. 

I tie down with soft loop straps from the handle bars back to the tie down anchor on the carrier which pulls the bike backwards. I use soft loops around the swing arm and attach to the same point on the carrier which pulls the bike forward. Straps working against each other keeps everything solid. No need to worry about compressing the suspension, because it doesn’t do anything. If you’re worried you can get a brace to put between the front tire and fender to keep the forks from compressing, or just cut a 2X4 to length and use it. 

On 5/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, SparkinPegs said:

I see your Ram is Hemi, which is good, as if it was a 3.0, no good. I doubt the heat would be a issue, I'd bet those parts get hotter baking in the summer sun than exhaust from the truck. Straps. Yes you tie down at the triples, they actually sell these little hoop thing that bolt to your triple clamps just for that. Me, I'm really really wanting to make/try out "strapless tie downs". They appear so convenient. 

wont go back after doing "strapless" aka turnbuckles on the pegs. my carrier (rack-n-ride) uses them and i cant imagine ever using a different carrier with straps now. no more trying to hold the bike up and get straps around the bar or wherever.

i still use straps in the truck cause its fast and nothing is in the floor in the way

2 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Holding the bike and putting straps on is easy. Im always amazed people make something so simple out to be hard. Hitch racks r awesome. 

20200509_103828.jpg

Even on one with the bike facing the wrong direction.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

That RacknRide sure looks nice but 450 bucks? Nope. I paid $50 for my shitty one off CL and ive carried my 701 to Canada on it. 9x the money for turnbuckles..... bet i can make turnbuckles work on my cheap one though. ?

ive had a cheap carrier too. no thanks. you do you but it was worth the investment imo. bet you couldnt take that $50 carrier through what i took mine on.

10 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Holding the bike and putting straps on is easy. Im always amazed people make something so simple out to be hard. Hitch racks r awesome. 

20200509_103828.jpg

New digs with acreage, Alpacas, dump trucks, skid steers, and sides by sides followed next by a new Ram pickup ✔️

Failure to sell YZ and buy a real man's trail bike (KTM/HSQ!!!!!) ✔️

Edited by shrubitup

10 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

New digs with acreage, Emus, dump trucks, skid steers, and sides by sides followed next by a new Ram pickup ✔️

Failure to sell YZ and buy a real man's trail bike (KTM/HSQ!!!!!) ✔️

Haa! I wish that was my place. I have a humble shack in the burbs, not no mountain top palace. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

It's hauled a 340lb 701 from oregon to Canada to San jose del cabo. 

never said it couldnt. surprising to see people buy an expensive bike and go cheap on something they rely on not failing.

20200225_113001.jpg.c951ed3619672f766c67

1 hour ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

It's steel, what's to fail exactly? I inspect it periodically. Also i have insurance, if it fails i buy a new bike. No downsides. 

cool. i have insurance too, not something i want to deal with on my way to a ride.

dont think youre $50 carrier is the same quality as the rack-n-ride ?

Edited by Sacrifice