Sign in to follow this  

SM Model won’t shift after drop. Stuck in gear.

Alright guys and gals, some doucher decided my side of the road was his while I was riding to my lake access in my neighborhood. I clutched in and braked hard but had to go off the road. Front tire washed out in the mud and I went over the bars. Shoulder is banged up but that’s another story. My bike went down on the right side, I pulled in the clutch and pulled it out from under the tree it went under. I got it out started it up and and road the 150 yards to my house. I tried to shift it up and nothing. Shifter goes up but it doesn’t change gears. I tried to downshift as I came to my driveway and it doesn’t go down at all. I got it up on my bike stand this past weekend and tried rolling the tire with the clutch in to try and shift but still no dice. Also tried it with the bike running and nothing. I really don’t want to split the case because I bought this thing from a buddy who had done big bore kit on it. Y’all got any ideas on what it could be? 

I would say bent shift fork but you said right side impact.   Got me

• Like 1

I was only going like 5-10 mph by the time I went down also. I’m very confused and I really don’t want to tear down the motor if I don’t have to lol. I’ve only owned the bike like 3 weeks.

Ok, the first thing is to look at the shifter shaft.  It goes though the cases from left to right (Pedal to clutch side).  There is a circlip and washer on the pedal side.  This may have come adrift.  At worst you may have bent the shift shaft, at best that circlip has gone / slipped due to the impact on the shaft pushing it into the case so it doesn't make contact with the shift drum.  If the circlip is in place you may want to disassemble further.  Remove the clutch side cover (not just he clutch cover but the whole side) and you'll see where it comes into the space between the cover and the case. There is a toggle mechanism on the end of the shaft that rotates the shift drum.  This may also be damaged.  You will probably want to order an OEM gasket for the clutch side case cover as a replacement and replace whatever else is bent.

image.png.55c8979600fdee544ac13bbc23b2e50c.png

Inked20190511_221324212_iOS_LI.jpg.fe6d4dd489633e396378d824df437490.jpg

image.png.ce416acd69df67dd9116abc6edbdd2eb.png

image.png.0bc723f369247e43d72eb527140dc8e4.png

image.png.6a9e4abe1d90f1138730b22bbaee72ee.png

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3

I just went through this myself, wouldn't shift up.  Roleyrev's post outlines the process perfectly.

My bike was also leaking oil from the shift shaft seal, which is another sign it was bent.  

3 minutes ago, Abeo said:

I just went through this myself, wouldn't shift up.  Roleyrev's post outlines the process perfectly.

My bike was also leaking oil from the shift shaft seal, which is another sign it was bent.  

Did you have to pull the entire motor apart? I’m really dreading splitting the case.

5 minutes ago, jwrecks said:

Did you have to pull the entire motor apart? I’m really dreading splitting the case.

No, the motor can stay in the frame and the cases do not have to be split.  You do have to pull off the clutch assembly, clutch side case cover, and then the shift shaft can slide out.

edit: I pulled my shift shaft with the engine in the frame, but didn't check it for straightness.  I then pulled the motor and split the cases to investigate further, and found the shift shaft bent when I compared it to a spare I had bought.  I could have saved myself a bunch of work by just looking at the shift shaft in the first place, but I convinced myself it was a bent shift fork or second gear bushing.

Edited by Abeo

3 minutes ago, Abeo said: