Need opinions - Nitro Mousse condition after 1st tire change

This was my first time using a mousse and I just wanted opinions on the condition of these after removing them on my first tire change.

Nitro platinums, 10-12psi feeling

Goldentyre 216 Front 

MotoZ Arena Hybrid Gummy Rear

41 hours on my new 2019 KTM 500 EXC, riding relatively aggressively (as a 45 year old, haha) on 75% singletrack, 25% on fireworks and very minimal road to and from my house to the trails.

Just the front for now upon removal. There was still a bit of lube although when riding it had kind of shot out from the bead and the bead was good. Mayne cause I'm so fast, haha.

20200519_162804.jpg.f5af8771c5fa73fafdce33b27791fd02.jpg

20200519_162824.thumb.jpg.f2ba6a4f1815c2c80ba0c07aa75a80a9.jpg

20200519_162921.thumb.jpg.58307d6d207cbd6e633c7162fb9a3a5d.jpg20200519_162932.jpg.647ed5b3529748bfbc5f93ced0d9626f.jpg

It seems OK to me. So its supposed to last 4 tire changes. If I get 3 I'd be happy. 

Below is the worst damage which doesn't seem bad for 40 hours and somewhat rough riding in the Sierras.

20200519_163216.thumb.jpg.4d68da4fcbc98a8d1c10f3574b97d85c.jpg20200519_163248.thumb.jpg.326b9a17ce1c10439e47089fd842faff.jpg20200519_163308.thumb.jpg.7cf540fa7c86aa941047333a93e8dc96.jpg

It shrunk a bit and I noticed it getting softer when riding. Maybe 8-10psi feeling which I used a lot with Tubliss before this change to a mousse.

20200519_163453.thumb.jpg.b39d15a1892a2ee3db09916ca961d60a.jpg

So I cut it and put in a wedge. It had a 3in gap. I was supposed to cut 2-4" further but I only had a 8" wedge. So I cut it in half, 4in. So I went only 1" over and shoved this 4in piece in there. No photo.

20200519_164122.thumb.jpg.294d3b7c446449aaae9e976f12d94247.jpg

This new tire is the Shinko 216mx fatty cheater. Basically a gen 2 or 3 Goldentyre 216 from what I have heard.  Installs get interesting but it went on somewhat ok. They should rename these to Nitro Rim Scratchers.

Anyways, just wanted to see if this mousse looked halfway decent and will last for 3 more tire changes or so. Like I said above, it seems OK to me. I have seen pro guys thrash these things. So at 40 hours, and roughly 800+ miles on this I think it's OK but I'm a newb on mousses.

• Like 2

where did you get the wedge from?   thats a different way than I assumed youd do it.  makes sense though.

I figured youd cut a 4" wide strip about an inch tall and 4' long to go around the entire outside diameter.  your way is way smarter haha.

1 minute ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Im a tube man, and always wondered about those "foamies", you answered my question...

They aren't for everyone. But like anything there are pros and cons. Price and installs are the biggest con. But riding the remote stuff we do and not having to worry about flats is a huge pro. As well as tires last longer and its just a softer ride from deflections. And traction is a great too. But I hear ya. UHD tubes are OK at 12psi and obviously way easier to install. 

• Like 2

Just now, cdf450 said:

where did you get the wedge from?   thats a different way than I assumed youd do it.  makes sense though.

I figured youd cut a 4" wide strip about an inch tall and 4' long to go around the entire outside diameter.  your way is way smarter haha.

You have to get the wedges from Neutech for now. Or just buy an extra mousse and cut it. Their instructions say that if the mousse is loose in the tire, cut it first of all. And if you have a 3in gap like I did you cut a 5-7in wedge (2-4in larger than gap). The wedge you get is like 8in so I wanted to get two uses from it. So I cut a 4in piece, only 1in larger than the gap. It feels like 12psi or so right now after the install.

• Like 2

awesome.  good to know.  ill keep an eye out for used/worn out/ garbage mousse tubes from buddies.  those would work as a wedge im sure.   no way im cutting up a $200 bib for a wedge.

BTW I love my mousse tubes.  theyre a life changer and a game changer.   I used to go from a paranoid (from getting flats) rider that struggled with traction to an absolute beast thats unstoppable now with this bib.    its a tad worn/soft ill admit but I dont mind it... it helps me.  im running like 6-8 PSI but an invincible 6-8 PSI.  lets see you do that with a tube and smash shit like I do.    theyre amazing.  install is easy too.    price kinda sucks..

40 hours on mine and they look about the same. I think ive flipped tire at 20 hours and re lubed it.  ride em till theyre done/powder.    youll know when theyre shot.  doesnt matter how it looks, if you like the feel; keep running it.

Edited by cdf450

11 minutes ago, xnofriendsx said:

They aren't for everyone. But like anything there are pros and cons. Price and installs are the biggest con. But riding the remote stuff we do and not having to worry about flats is a huge pro. As well as tires last longer and its just a softer ride from deflections. And traction is a great too. But I hear ya. UHD tubes are OK at 12psi and obviously way easier to install. 

I hear you bro, but i bet i could pound em' into dust after a couple of hard rides or a race..

WIN_20190530_23_10_25_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xnofriendsx said:

doing my first set this week, havent ever had an issue with HD tubes on the trail but im not interested in finding out when im riding by myself. got the standard (platinum) as well since i figured theyd shrink and get softer. more life is what im hoping for.

5 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

I hear you bro, but i bet i could pound em' into dust after a couple of hard rides or a race..

is that picture from the 90s? lol. if your doing motocross i dont think there would be as much benefit.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

awesome.  good to know.  ill keep an eye out for used/worn out/ garbage mousse tubes from buddies.  those would work as a wedge im sure.   no way im cutting up a $200 bib for a wedge.

BTW I love my mousse tubes.  theyre a life changer and a game changer.   I used to go from a paranoid (from getting flats) rider that struggled with traction to an absolute beast thats unstoppable now with this bib.    its a tad worn/soft ill admit but I dont mind it... it helps me.  im running like 6-8 PSI but an invincible 6-8 PSI.  lets see you do that with a tube and smash shit like I do.    theyre amazing.  install is easy too.    price kinda sucks..

40 hours on mine and they look about the same. I think ive flipped tire at 20 hours and re lubed it.  ride em till theyre done/powder.    youll know when theyre shot.  doesnt matter how it looks, if you like the feel; keep running it.

Yeah, keep your old ones for sure. This was my first set so I'm chucking the old ones in there as wedges in the future. We bash these pretty hard so at 6psi I might do some rim damage with some our riding areas. Kinda depends on what you ride and how you ride it. I can change a tube fast, these not so much. A bit tricky but I'm getting better. If I was to keep it as it was an install would have been super easy. But that added wedge made it like new again.

Yeah that's true about it doesn't matter what it looks like, if you like the feel then ride it. I just don't want it to slip a bead if its gets too soft but that might depend a bit on the tire as well. These fatty fronts seem to be ok so far.

10 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

They aren't going to go to dust after just one race or huge ride. Even if your an AA rider. They last longer than you think. I would say I would be a mid to upper pack B rider and I had 40 hours (800 miles or so) on the above mousse front. Not all that is at a race speed but we hammer on those pretty good. 

But sick jump.

• Like 1

I find I can change these quicker.  you can be REAL rough and not care when doing it (if you dont mind scratching your rims).  tubes you gotta be a bit careful.

the rim lock/drop center trick is what makes all the difference.  if done properly, I can do the very last bite with my pinky finger.

3 minutes ago, Sacrifice said:

doing my first set this week, havent ever had an issue with HD tubes on the trail but im not interested in finding out when im riding by myself. got the standard (platinum) as well since i figured theyd shrink and get softer. more life is what im hoping for.

is that picture from the 90s? lol. if your doing motocross i dont think there would be as much benefit.

Id pop those mouses like a zit, and i still ride!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sacrifice said:

You'll be happy with them. Just learn the tricks on installs. Get that bead below the rim lock and as far into the center as you can. That helps when you come back around and get that last bit on the rim. And be ready for some nice dings into your wheels. New black wheels get dinged up. 

4 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

I find I can change these quicker.  you can be REAL rough and not care when doing it (if you dont mind scratching your rims).  tubes you gotta be a bit careful.

the rim lock/drop center trick is what makes all the difference.  if done properly, I can do the very last bite with my pinky finger.

Yeah that rim lock and drop center is the trick. I unfortunately have a new 2019 with black wheels so I can't hammer as much as I like, but I hear ya. Not worrying about pinching the tube with the irons.

2 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Bottom line, buy some heavy duty innertubes and carry a co2 inflator and a spare tube in your back/fanny/bike pack, or dont ride near cati or misquite...🤪

I've ran regular, HD, UHD, Tubliss etc. Ive carried all kinds of crap in my vests for tire irons, extra heavy tubes, co2 cartridges, pumps you name it. Even on my fenders with bungy cords or fender packs etc. That's the huge plus with a mousse. You don't need any of that. And doing 100+ miler rides in the middle of nowhere with less weight is a plus too.

3 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Ok foamie bros, im beaming out...

All good. I'm not pro mousse or con tubes. To each their own. Whatever works for someone, all good.

1 minute ago, xnofriendsx said:

I've ran regular, HD, UHD, Tubliss etc. Ive carried all kinds of crap in my vests for tire irons, extra heavy tubes, co2 cartridges, pumps you name it. Even on my fenders with bungy cords or fender packs etc. That's the huge plus with a mousse. You don't need any of that. And doing 100+ miler rides in the middle of nowhere with less weight is a plus too.

10-4, Metalacid clear to beam up....