Hi all, I’m new on this site. :)

I’ve come here with a question regarding my 2011 Dual injected kx250f it currently runs on 98RON pump fuel. I want to change to VP race fuel is there any out there which can run straight away no tune or adjustments required ?

Will it be significantly better for the motor or much worse ?

If the bike is fuel injected it should accommodate for the fuel and adjust the tune when you ride it. don’t have fuel injected. But I run 80/20 mix of T4 VP and premium pump gas. and I noticed much better throttle response and power and I never messed with the tuning. Only thing I suggest is not running straight race fuel if you’re not actually racing. It does wear your engine faster. Just throw in a splash of premium fuel when you fill up to have some regular fuel in it

why would you want to pay for more than say VP100? Unless a motor is built for race fuel, using it is a waste of money.
You want a nice, real gasoline, no gasohol, no ethanol fuel.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, pat22043 said:

why would you want to pay for more than say VP100? Unless a motor is built for race fuel, using it is a waste of money.

You know what ethanol free is for right? Ethanol is the reason gas goes bad. That’s The reason VP is ethanol free. So you don’t pay so much for gas that’ll go bad. If you don’t plan to use all the gas for a few weeks spend the extra to get ethanol free so you don’t loose power and your gas doesn’t go bad. Everyone has their own preferences and will tell you their opinion and tell everyone else they’re wrong. You don’t need an engine built for race fuel just run a splash of pump gas for Good measure. Do whatever you want with the gas you run. You will notice a good difference with VP. And your exhaust will smell great too!

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AEthan said:

You know what ethanol free is for right? Ethanol is the reason gas goes bad. 

Huh? I think you agree with me, but I can't tell.
Yes, race gas smells great. Better still is race gas with castor bean oil. 
But race gas in a stock bike is simply a waste of money. Your money, waste it the way you want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

My engine runs race piston and race valves 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AEthan said:

If the bike is fuel injected it should accommodate for the fuel and adjust the tune when you ride it. don’t have fuel injected. But I run 80/20 mix of T4 VP and premium pump gas. and I noticed much better throttle response and power and I never messed with the tuning. Only thing I suggest is not running straight race fuel if you’re not actually racing. It does wear your engine faster. Just throw in a splash of premium fuel when you fill up to have some regular fuel in it

Have you ever tried to run C9 or C10 (VP) I got recommended that. 

11 hours ago, Alex1010 said:

Hi all, I’m new on this site. 🙂

I’ve come here with a question regarding my 2011 Dual injected kx250f it currently runs on 98RON pump fuel. I want to change to VP race fuel is there any out there which can run straight away no tune or adjustments required ?

Will it be significantly better for the motor or much worse ?

Why?

9 hours ago, Alex1010 said:

My engine runs race piston and race valves 

What does that mean? Is it like a 3/4 race cam in your rv?

Seriously, wtf?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Alex1010 said:

Have you ever tried to run C9 or C10 (VP) I got recommended that. 

I’ve never tried it. I’m almost out of my can so I’ll try it. Any VP is good. They all do different things. Just stay away from 110 cause it’s basically just 110 octane, which is good. But you can get 110 with octane booster. 

• Confused 3

8 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

What does that mean? Is it like a 3/4 race cam in your rv?

Seriously, wtf?

I remember 3/4 Race Cams !

Only good for 3/4 of the race.

Or "fully built" race engine.

I run T4, on a virtually stock motor. The bike runs slightly cooler, starts better and has better throttle response... 

I run it—cause I can...

I don't need it, nor recommend race gas unless there is something specific you are trying to achieve. 

As mentioned by @William1, spend the money on tires and a trainer as it will take you significantly farther...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Kevlar55 said:

What about av gas, its 100 octane leaded non ethanol.

100LL is decent gas, but its not simply 100 octane. Airplanes measure octane at rich and lean settings. Its probably closer to 94 R+M octane than 100. Do a bit of research on it, its not as simple as it looks. I'm much rather run VP100 if an engine needs it.

My KTM 300 runs perfectly on 91 octane gasoline. The pump 93 gasohol around here is 91 octane real gas goosed with ethanol to get to 93

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

100LL is decent gas, but its not simply 100 octane. Airplanes measure octane at rich and lean settings. Its probably closer to 94 R+M octane than 100. Do a bit of research on it, its not as simple as it looks. I'm much rather run VP100 if an engine needs it.

My KTM 300 runs perfectly on 91 octane gasoline. The pump 93 gasohol around here is 91 octane real gas goosed with ethanol to get to 93

Like you say avgas is run through a different test but from my research in the past that put it over 100 R+M/2

As far as personal experience my compression on my rm250 with a phathead y23 dome is rated for 100 octane. I run avgas 50/50 with pump non ethanol 94 with no issue. Ran straight avgas in the beginning and have leaned down to the 50/50 over time.

• Like 2

How can people claim Race Gas is a waste on a 14-1 CR thumper?    I’ve never ran VP specifically, but 97 Sunoco or Turbo Blue and never worry about bad fuel again.   When in a rural area with no options I use pump+ Xylene. 

6 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I used to run av gas in some of my old muscle cars back in the day. I just picked up a 06 KTM 250 XC-W and figured I'd use that since I can get it right down the road. This is the first bike I've had since 1984 and I just don't want to mess it up by doing something stupid.

Thanks, Kevin.

13 minutes ago, Kevlar55 said:

I used to run av gas in some of my old muscle cars back in the day.

Be careful, back when muscle cars were new, AvGas had a lot of lead like the muscle cars expected.
Its not that way anymore. The official label is 100LL (or LL100) with LL standing for Low Lead.

19 hours ago, AEthan said:

If the bike is fuel injected it will automatically adjust to the fuel you put in it ? Really ? 

1750996496_goodone.jpg.0886915332b2c5c1dedd54449fc2be55.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2