Scralatchtica824

YZ250X Police Recovered My Stolen ‘18 YZ250X!!!

Posted (edited)

Got a call last week from a NYC detective completely out of the blue (thought I was in trouble at first or something bad happened) but they told me they recovered my previously stolen 2018 YZ250X! He said it’s in great shape, the guy is in handcuffs and going to jail (but only temporarily because NY laws favor criminals but that’s a discussion not for TT)

The bike is in amazing shape in fact it only had 6 hours on it when it was taken and had exactly 0 hours on a respring and revalve from factory connection when it was stolen out of the bed of my truck the early morning before the first ride on the new suspenders.

Allstate screwed me on the reimbursement price and only gave my 75% of the value and 10% of the $1,500 of accessories I put on the bike with the majority of that being the FC suspension. They also took out my $500 deductible another slap in the face. But I now have the bike back. The detective told me I don’t have to tell insurance, which I’m not. He said “the bike is yours, come pick it up”. So with my registration and license drove into Brooklyn, NY to get it. 
Bike runs great and as no damage at all except a bald rear tire and broken clutch lever. They even went as far as changing the graphics to say YZ250 go figure. So now I have a 2018 and 2019 YZ250X with identical suspension and everything else minus a lectron.

I was pretty bummed after it got stolen being that I drove 1100 miles from downstate NY to deep into PA and back to pick up the bike for a good deal, dumped money and work into getting it set up then only rode it twice and on top of that getting screwed by Allstate. I’m not going to register the bike when it expires end of May or get insurance on it again. In fact, I’m not really sure at all what I’m going to do with it. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking keep the forks/shock/wheel set and sell everything else. I’d like to recoup some money lost from spending so much on the bike, having it disappear then doing it all over with another identical bike. Paying the taxes to register it alone in NY is crazy and paid it twice!

Heres the pic of it in my brother in laws truck getting picked up at the precinct!

5EA36131-E6EB-49CA-8105-AA863CC002F1.jpeg

26A49784-3C06-46D2-AC03-89587F5D9FEF.jpeg.7407eb36469f3db947037d51897d5bb5.jpeg

Edited by Scralatchtica824
  • Like 10
  • Helpful 1

I find it difficult to believe "the bike is yours"  When ever I have been paid out for theft or damage I had to relinquish ownership to the insurance company.

But the insurance companies probably does not have much interest in dealing with a theft recovery so I would imagine you could convince them to release ownership back to you for a small amount.  If they do try to lowball you remember they are responsible for transportation/storage and any other fees associated with recovery.  I would also let them know there are thousands of dollars in damage.  All these things make it more attractive to them to deal with you.

But hey maybe I am wrong. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mikedabike said:

I find it difficult to believe "the bike is yours"  When ever I have been paid out for theft or damage I had to relinquish ownership to the insurance company.

But the insurance companies probably does not have much interest in dealing with a theft recovery so I would imagine you could convince them to release ownership back to you for a small amount.  If they do try to lowball you remember they are responsible for transportation/storage and any other fees associated with recovery.  I would also let them know there are thousands of dollars in damage.  All these things make it more attractive to them to deal with you.

I’m already upset that the insurance company I’ve been with for 10+ years, have a perfect driving record and have paid tens of thousands of dollars to on insurance policies for my home, 2 cars, multiple bikes, an atv, life, injury/illness and disability, screws me after I file one fully legitimate claim. When the guy told me they are reimbursing me the “fair market value” and hardly any of the upgrades I was furious. I estimate my personal monetary loss from the theft to be about $5,000 all said and done.

They are not finding out I have the bike period. The detective told me flat out “the bike is yours, come pick it up” so I did. I provided the impound lot (crazy security there in NY btw...) the proper paperwork and they legally released it to me.

• Like 1

You could always buy another used frame with title and put everything on that frame and sell it if your worried about the VIN getting ran and insurance finding out. 

• Like 1

Allstate BLOWS!! I had this bastards in AZ for a couple years then found a broker that got me into a real low insurance cost with great coverage. Almost as good as the one I had in CA for over 30 years. 

Recovery from Police station $375.00

Daily storage, $75.00 

Tell the insurance company missing, broken, bent parts. Let them evaluate the loss and you can buy it back, probably less than you think. 

Other option is new frame, but if the engine number is part of the title, not worth that much trouble. 

Sell as a complete bike since you have the title and the insurance company would never know. Once they paid you off for the loss, they should have forced you to relinquish the papers. 

• Like 3

Progressive Insurance offers “full replacement value”. Have it on my toy hauler and SxS. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

Allstate BLOWS!! I had this bastards in AZ for a couple years then found a broker that got me into a real low insurance cost with great coverage. Almost as good as the one I had in CA for over 30 years. 

Recovery from Police station $375.00

Daily storage, $75.00 

Tell the insurance company missing, broken, bent parts. Let them evaluate the loss and you can buy it back, probably less than you think. 

Other option is new frame, but if the engine number is part of the title, not worth that much trouble. 

Sell as a complete bike since you have the title and the insurance company would never know. Once they paid you off for the loss, they should have forced you to relinquish the papers. 

That might prove to be very difficult in commie-NY. I'm leaning towards parting the bike half for sale, and keeping half for spare parts mainly wheels/forks/shock. I could probably sell the complete engine for a decent amount!

9 hours ago, mikedabike said:

You are wrong. Post pay out your contract with them is null and they have no claim on the property. They do not insure the property, they insure the loss. He suffered the loss, they paid out, end of story. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

You are wrong. Post pay out your contract with them is null and they have no claim on the property. They do not insure the property, they insure the loss. He suffered the loss, they paid out, end of story. 

So Allstate did make me send them the Title, in order for them to pay me out on the loss, so they do have it now. The records at the precinct showed it was registered to me, they pulled up the police report I filed with the officer that had my phone number on it. So they called me to tell me they had it. Technically they require a Title to pick it up but the detective put in the word to the impound lot where it was stored to allow release with just the active registration and invoice he sent me.

• Helpful 1

I had a bike (NX250) stolen in NJ, recovered in NYC. Cops in NYC were real nice, bike was in the cop garage, not impound. They washed it. Helped me load it. Only wanted to see my drivers license. Told me the guy they caught was a three time loser and going to get at least a year in Rikers. Insurance had paid out. They did not want the title. I subsequently told them I'd recovered it. They told me to keep it. My bike was pretty banged up and I just fixed it and sold it cheap.

I'd contact the insurance company, let them know how you recovered it. Stay on the up and up. Maybe they will send you the title back. If not, at some point, I suspect they will send in info to the DMV about the title and current ownership.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

19 minutes ago, Scralatchtica824 said:

So Allstate did make me send them the Title, in order for them to pay me out on the loss, so they do have it now. The records at the precinct showed it was registered to me, they pulled up the police report I filed with the officer that had my phone number on it. So they called me to tell me they had it. Technically they require a Title to pick it up but the detective put in the word to the impound lot where it was stored to allow release with just the active registration and invoice he sent me.

I was just trolling any insurance agents in the forum lol, in most cases the vehicle absolutely belongs to the ins company, though many times they have no interest in pursuing any action. They may just tell you to keep it, I've seen that. But if it were me, I'd part it like, 'what bike?' 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably my most hated thing is a thief.  Glad to hear you got it back and it looks to be in decent shape still, which they usually aren't.  Sad part is that lowlife is probably already back on the street looking for the next one to steal.  We really should go back to days when criminals were actually punished, then these punks would think a little before breaking the law.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boatsnbikes said:

Probably my most hated thing is a thief.  Glad to hear you got it back and it looks to be in decent shape still, which they usually aren't.  Sad part is that lowlife is probably already back on the street looking for the next one to steal.  We really should go back to days when criminals were actually punished, then these punks would think a little before breaking the law.

Nah, even thieves hate snitches, and snitches are still several levels above pedos. If we want to see respect come back for rule of law, we need to stop letting illegals run amok and homeless junkies shit in the street. I pretty much refuse to take the justice system seriously so long as they're not giving a shit about those things. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Nah, even thieves hate snitches, and snitches are still several levels above pedos. If we want to see respect come back for rule of law, we need to stop letting illegals run amok and homeless junkies shit in the street. I pretty much refuse to take the justice system seriously so long as they're not giving a shit about those things. 

You forgot the corrupt pedo politicians, and the non US citizen getting elected into “any” US political office. IMO, they can only hold management positions in local city/county government NO state, make America American home grown..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scralatchtica824 said:

So Allstate did make me send them the Title, in order for them to pay me out on the loss, so they do have it now.

Ah, so you did give up title to insurance. Title is ownership, I would see if they have, or can re-issue, but you’ll probably have to give back what you were paid out. 

10 hours ago, Scralatchtica824 said:

I’m already upset that the insurance company I’ve been with for 10+ years, have a perfect driving record and have paid tens of thousands of dollars to on insurance policies for my home, 2 cars, multiple bikes, an atv, life, injury/illness and disability, screws me after I file one fully legitimate claim. When the guy told me they are reimbursing me the “fair market value” and hardly any of the upgrades I was furious. I estimate my personal monetary loss from the theft to be about $5,000 all said and done.

They are not finding out I have the bike period. The detective told me flat out “the bike is yours, come pick it up” so I did. I provided the impound lot (crazy security there in NY btw...) the proper paperwork and they legally released it to me.

BITCH , BITCH , BITCH ,   You got it back ,   count your blessings .......

• Haha 1

I’d try to go to the dmv or AAA and see if you can get the title reissued/duplicate title. Tell them you lost it. It shouldn’t show up as stolen as it was released by the police. Even if it does, you have the paperwork. At the very least have the dmv or AAA do a title search and see what shows up.

What was the story behind it getting stolen?