XR650R Headlight Help - hi/lo and switch

Hey all, 

Picked up a previously plated ‘01 650R and unfortunately the PO stripped signals and left it in less than perfect shape. I’m in TX so I primarily need brake/tail/license plate light, horn, mirror, and hi/lo headlight to get plated. 

I’m currently trying to figure out the headlight. Bike has an Acerbis dual light with 2 12v/50w bulbs, one is 38° and the other 12°. The lights each have 2 black wires - so I don’t know which is +/-. One of the wires on each are connected together (pic 1). The remaining wire on each light are routed down the frame to some type of regulator (pic 2) that is then connected to the stator. So these are AC powered, always on. 

The bike has an unused toggle switch with 3 positions. I’m guessing it was once used for signals. It’s got 3 wires running from it (pic 3) which appear to all dead end. No power is running to the switch. 

I’ve attached a few pics to help illustrate my situation. Is there a way to wire the 38° light as my “running/lo beam” always on, and then take the 12° and run it to the toggle so I can flip it on for the sake of passing inspection? 

4125961D-6EA7-44D0-9E79-9D6B5BBC5545.jpeg

F35C2D43-B544-4BA9-9243-22D17DD6C48A.jpeg

B645C2E5-CAD7-4108-9CC0-D62EE8CF3FEC.jpeg

Easy deal as long as that switch is rated enough amps. The silver box is the 12Vdc regulator it shunts anything over say 13V to ground so you don't blow bulbs. 

The center tap on the switch is the common on the switch, it toggles either the red or orange wire to make with the common. So wire from the regulator to the green on the switch(common) then wire orange to one light, red to another, take the leftover wire of the lights and ground it to the steering head or back to the frame. You can just use one of the existing wires from the regulator to the headlight to the green on the switch. The switch likely has a center position (off), then either side is high or low beam.

On 5/21/2020 at 5:30 PM, kdxyardsale said:

The silver box is the 12Vdc 

12v AC

Those halogen bulbs are being powered by 12v AC with that stock AC 12v regulator. Taint no rectifier...

1 hour ago, bajabinder said:

aint no rectifier...

Youre welcome for the help wiring a simple switch, it gets wired the same way for either just sub the chassis ground for the other side of the regulator

Edited by kdxyardsale

1 hour ago, kdxyardsale said:

Youre welcome for the help wiring a simple switch, it gets wired the same way for either just sub the chassis ground for the other side of the regulator

No need to get all wadded up. I was just clarifying it’s AC not DC🍻