2020 Klx230 dealer only air filter change?

Hello- Just picked up a 2020 Klx230 Dual Sport. I’m disappointed to see in the owners Manuel that you must take the bike to your dealer to have the air filter / element cleaned or replaced? WHY??? According to the parts diagram it’s just a normal foam air element sitting between a plastic skeleton in the air box? Is this just a plot to get you to spend money at dealership or is there anything one could hurt on your bike by changing the filter yourself? The bike is EFI and I’m new to this, past bikes have all had carbs. Does this have something to do with it. In attached pic... it’s item 11013 -Thanks and Happy Riding -Adam 

C5F2E914-7B00-4146-BFCB-1AC978D371B4.jpeg

You do not have to take it to the dealer for just about anything save ecu mapping. EFI vs. carb, pretty much no diff when it comes to filters; both need to breathe clean air and that means periodic filter maintenance. The mfr has no downside telling you to have dealers do the work. Remember, some people that buy stuff don't know how to work on anything. Dirtbikers in generally are very DIY. Pretty sure there's a badge of shame awarded to any dirt bike rider that can't change their own air filter. 😉 Enjoy your new skoot!🤙

• Like 2

Thanks, just needed my thoughts confirmed. They got it in my head by putting it in BOLD letters in the owners book to take it to dealer DO NOT CHANGE OR CLEAN yourself .... 👍🏻

The reason might be the way the filter is removed. It's on a tray that slides in pretty tightly. If there is crap on top of the filter from many miles of riding, when you slide the tray out, all the dirt and debris will be scraped off, and it all will fall into the the intake boot past the filter.  It's a bad design, IMO.

Edited by nots0much
  • Like 1