IRC V33S Gekkota. Perfect combination

Been running these now for 2nd year.  I love this tire. Enough gummy to get great hook up, but traditional knob spacing and hard enough carcass to support fast terrain.  

Have run, Equilibrium, IBEX, Cheater, GT333, and the IRC is my favorite.  Running the IX09W chubby up front and it's a great combination. 

• Like 1

I may have to break my own rule and get one of those, my buddies really seem to like them. Crazy how gummy the knobs are and they seem to last as well. :cheers:

• Like 1

How do you feel about what Dirt Bike magazine had to say? I am currently riding slick but could on a whim head over and race for six hours in the dez.

NEGATIVES: The Gekkota does not like speed. The two-ply carcass flexes a lot, giving it a feel similar to having a flat tire. Coming into a corner or exiting a corner at high speeds, the rear end does not plant like a traditional tire or break loose like a traditional tire for that matter. IRC only offers the IX09 Gekkota in one size: 110/100/18.

Just now, 8675309 said:

I may have to break my own rule and get one of those, my buddies really seem to like them. Crazy how gummy the knobs are and they seem to last as well. :cheers:

Not sure the durometer of these, but just by twist and squeeze test in the shop they aren't as gummy as the Cheater which is on my son's bike.  

The cool thing is they are really versatile compared to some of the other hybrids.  You still get great drive on roots and rocks, but still perform like a traditional knobby at places like Central Oregon. 

Reasonably priced and good longevity.  

BTW,  what's your "rule"? 

1 minute ago, firffighter said:

Not sure the durometer of these, but just by twist and squeeze test in the shop they aren't as gummy as the Cheater which is on my son's bike.  

The cool thing is they are really versatile compared to some of the other hybrids.  You still get great drive on roots and rocks, but still perform like a traditional knobby at places like Central Oregon. 

Reasonably priced and good longevity.  

BTW,  what's your "rule"? 

I mount up my buddies  used 60% 333's and proceed to show them what is up. I'm on a Rona budget this year.

• Haha 1

Just now, 8675309 said:

The Gekkota does not like speed. The two-ply carcass flexes a lot, giving it a feel similar to having a flat tire. Coming into a corner or exiting a corner at high speeds, the rear end does not plant like a traditional tire or break loose like a traditional tire for that matter. IRC only offers the IX09 Gekkota in one size: 110/100/18.

That's talking about the other gummy that IRC offers that's designed for hard Enduro.  The video describes both tires and how they are built. The IX09 is 2-ply, the V33S has added reinforcement in the carcass making it perform like a traditional knobby at speed. 

4 minutes ago, 8675309 said:

I mount up my buddies  used 60% 333's and proceed to show them what is up. I'm on a Rona budget this year.

The GT333 is a great tire. I ran it for 2 seasons and its mounted on my other son's KTM 200xcw.  

It definitely doesn't have the forward drive that the V33S gets on rocks and roots. The V33S also has a more rounded profile and traditional knob layout compared to the 333 with its flat profile and knobs more in a row. 

The 333 is wider though and the V33S only comes in 110, so if you like the wider footprint of a 120, then it may no be to your liking.  

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

I have the Gekkota +1. Traction wise it seems better than the 333. I am not that worried about cornering speed when doing a pivot turn on a switchback! Even on fast flows ST I don’t feel like I need more cornering speed. Roads are to connect or get to a trail  so I don’t really care much about that either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tye Durden said:

I have the Gekkota +1. Traction wise it seems better than the 333. I am not that worried about cornering speed when doing a pivot turn on a switchback! Even on fast flows ST I don’t feel like I need more cornering speed. Roads are to connect or get to a trail  so I don’t really care much about that either.

Yeah,  cornering isn't what everyone here is necessarily looking for.  

I ride Central Oregon on a regular basis, so cornering speed is a big part of the riding there. 

But, most of my riding is Hood River or Mt Hood area where roots, rocks and more traditional woods singletrack is the norm. The V33S covers both well and that's why it's working well for me.  

If I were only riding slow technical terrain, I'd go with something different. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, firffighter said:

The GT333 is a great tire. 

I have to disagree with that. But it might be the terrain I have been riding? I’ve crashed more in three rides using that on my 300, than I did all last year I think. Wet rocks, step ups, roots, etc. I have been running the Cheater 505 the last 2 years. Running 4-6 PSI, that soft gummy tire would just grab the roots and rocks. But the 333 seems to be a much harder compound, and I have been running higher PSI, as it has a lower profile than the Cheater. 
I did lower it down to 8 PSI with better results 2nd half of my last ride. And for sure it is a better tire for high speeds, cornering, etc.

10 minutes ago, mlyamkaw said:
45 minutes ago, firffighter said:

The GT333 is a great tire. 

I have to disagree with that. But it might be the terrain I have been riding? I’ve crashed more in three rides using that on my 300, than I did all last year I think. Wet rocks, step ups, roots, etc

You nailed it.  Terrain and riding style are the biggest factors.

The gummy Cheater is going to perform very well in the rocks, step ups,  and roots you described over the 333 that is more of an intermediate tire. 

The 333 is pretty versatile, and better cornering and braking capabilities at speed vs the Cheater. 

Cheater is also a great tire. Ran it in Moab and all over the NW including Central Oregon and it works well, just limited when speeds go up. 

I have the 333 on my 350 which I used in Moab, and more Dual Sporting around here. Seems fine for the higher speeds like you say. I wouldn’t want the Cheater for high speed desert riding.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mlyamkaw said:

I have the 333 on my 350 which I used in Moab, and more Dual Sporting around here. Seems fine for the higher speeds like you say. I wouldn’t want the Cheater for high speed desert riding.

Yep, each tire has its positive and negative aspects.  

Variety is something important to me because I can be riding Tillamook one day, Hood River the next, then the desert. Finding a tire that isn't a big compromise in a certain area can be tough. 

The V33S is covering all of the bases pretty well for me. 

Riding style plays a big role as well.  Hard on the throttle and brake vs smooth makes a big difference.  

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

I just ordered a 505 Cheater yesterday to go back on my 300. The 333 with 3 rides on it is going on my 350 since Jenny’s boyfriend isn’t close to me, or I would donate it to him. Hahaha
Glad I didn’t read your post yesterday, or I might have gone down another rabbit trail chasing another perfect tire!

8 minutes ago, mlyamkaw said:

Glad I didn’t read your post yesterday, or I might have gone down another rabbit trail chasing another perfect tire!

Haha,  I'm always on the hunt for that "perfect tire"! 

Fun trying different tires to find what works well for you. It's the only part of the dirt bike that makes contact with the ground (most of the time, haha), so putting on effective tires for your terrain and the is pretty darn important, that's what I keep telling myself at least,  Lol.  

• Like 1

I've been on the IX09 Gekkota for a couple months now...great tire, but I think I preferred the AT81EX for outright traction....but the IX09 is def more durable as the AT81EX knobs were ripping off and delaminating.  I had experience with the GT333 also and liked it in general, but it floundered a bit in the more extreme stuff. 

Sounds like the VE33S Gekkota is somewhere in between the IX09 Gekkota and the GT333?

Edited by Oregon Comrade
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, firffighter said:

Been running these now for 2nd year.  I love this tire. Enough gummy to get great hook up, but traditional knob spacing and hard enough carcass to support fast terrain.  

Have run, Equilibrium, IBEX, Cheater, GT333, and the IRC is my favorite.  Running the IX09W chubby up front and it's a great combination. 

Thanks for sharing - good to know!  I am using the IX09 Gummy front tire, feels great, but def leaves something to be desired when you pick up the pace and try to corner hard, in the 80/100 flavor, but really like the tread design and general stability and trust that the non-gummy one would work just as well.

I run a 'hard / std' mousse up front....so 10 - 12 psi.

Edited by Oregon Comrade
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Oregon Comrade said:

Thanks for sharing - good to know!  I am using the IX09 Gummy front tire, feels great, but def leaves something to be desired when you pick up the pace and try to corner hard, in the 80/100 flavor, but really like the tread design and general stability and trust that the non-gummy one would work just as well.

I run a 'hard / std' mousse up front....so 10 - 12 psi.

I'm running the IX09W 90/100. I run MotoZ Uber tubes at 10-12 up front.  

20200520_154036.thumb.jpg.ca78794a031b3c6b9afd448a4ca7113d.jpg

• Like 2

I can’t say enough good things about the VE33S. Good on the slippery wet stuff and good on the loose climbs. Blows the 525 out of the water IMO. 

• Like 4