my xl 250 that doesnt run without ether

i cleaned the carb torched the spark plug whenthe ether works i have to play with the throttle the gas line i ripped up by the gas shutoff about an 1/4 to a 1/8 inch  old gas sat in there do you think the gas shut off is plugged up or is there no vaccum issue or the shut off valve

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CARTER HARTUNG said:

i cleaned the carb torched the spark plug whenthe ether works i have to play with the throttle the gas line i ripped up by the gas shutoff about an 1/4 to a 1/8 inch  old gas sat in there do you think the gas shut off is plugged up or is there no vaccum issue or the shut off valve

Looks like its time for a comprehensive restore. Bubba, crack that shop manual, and methodically tear apart and rebuild that carb, clean up the ignition components, clean your in tank filter, git rid of all that nasty gas, you might get away a carb cleaning and draining the fuel system routine. Clean the carb and jets, and fuel tank and fuel filter and go from there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Looks like its time for a comprehensive restore. Bubba, crack that shop manual, and methodically tear apart and rebuild that carb, clean up the ignition components, clean your in tank filter, git rid of all that nasty gas, you might get away a carb cleaning and draining the fuel system routine. Clean the carb and jets, and fuel tank and fuel filter and go from there.

how would you clean the tank

• Like 2

Swill it out with some fuel. Tip the fuel through a funnel with some filter paper or clean rag. The debris left will tell you what is lurking there. If it is rusty there are various options (search this site for rusty fuel tank cleaning).

There is no point in cleaning everything else if you are then going to fill it all up with crap again. It should all be spotless.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, CARTER HARTUNG said:

how would you clean the tank

Grouty pretty much summed it up. Pull your fuel tank off, clean out all of the bad fuel and dispose of it at a special site that safely gets rid of it. grab a mag light and peek in the tank and see if there are any granules of junk in there, and clean it all out, fuel is ok, but volitile, no water though, its hard to get out of the fuel system. Check your filters and clean and or replace them as necessary. Bro my 2 cr's are having the blues with this new ethynol garbage we purchase. The run fine one day, and then its bog, sputter and cut out and i have to push the bike back. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:39 PM, M E T A L A C I D said:

I've seen the standpipe screen in the tank so plugged that it couldn't be cleaned.  I throw them away and add an inline filter...

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 7:16 AM, M E T A L A C I D said:

Bro my 2 cr's are having the blues with this new ethynol garbage we purchase. The run fine one day, and then its bog, sputter and cut out and i have to push the bike back. 

Once i get a carb clean,  i never allow the bowl to dry out. I keep fuel in it at all times. Been doing this since the 1980's and this method has totally eliminated my carb issues.

Chevron makes a Powersports Ethanol Stabilizer that works well and is cheap too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Extremo said:

Once i get a carb clean,  i never allow the bowl to dry out. I keep fuel in it at all times. Been doing this since the 1980's and this method has totally eliminated my carb issues.

Chevron makes a Powersports Ethanol Stabilizer that works well and is cheap too.

Yeup, ethanol is the bane of older classic bikes and cars. I use stabil, and it works sometimes. My 89 is running like crap now. She is in tip top mechanical condition, but that cheap gas makes it gurgle, blubber, stall out, and foul out plugs. I know what folks are going through, because im experienceing it also. Before 2000, all engines ran great, but now, sheezzeeee. Folks dont tear your bike apart unless its wore out. Its the crap gas man, the crap gas..

• Angry 1

20 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Yeup, ethanol is the bane of older classic bikes and cars. I use stabil, and it works sometimes. My 89 is running like crap now. She is in tip top mechanical condition, but that cheap gas makes it gurgle, blubber, stall out, and foul out plugs. I know what folks are going through, because im experienceing it also. Before 2000, all engines ran great, but now, sheezzeeee. Folks dont tear your bike apart unless its wore out. Its the crap gas man, the crap gas..

Yep....

20200518_191808.jpg

• Like 1