09 KX250F re-shimmed but now will not complete crank cycle

Okay, So I bought this bike about a year ago now. The bike was not fully clapped out but was getting there. When I got it, me or anyone I knew couldn't get it kick started, only bump start it. Eventually it began to get difficult to even bump start it. Then it would not idle. I did some research and found it was probably the valves needed adjusted. I gauged the valves and found it needed new shims. Bought new ones and got the proper clearance. But now when I go to push the kicker with my hand, it locks up after about one full push. The intake cams will not completely rotate. But when I take out the cams and hold the timing chain with my hand and push the kicker, it'll complete full rotations with no problem. I've read that this could be a possible crumbling valve seat but I'm not sure. This is my first ever bike that I've owned or ever worked on. Anything will help, thank you.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, joseyblumenshine said:

Okay, So I bought this bike about a year ago now. The bike was not fully clapped out but was getting there. When I got it, me or anyone I knew couldn't get it kick started, only bump start it. Eventually it began to get difficult to even bump start it. Then it would not idle. I did some research and found it was probably the valves needed adjusted. I gauged the valves and found it needed new shims. Bought new ones and got the proper clearance. But now when I go to push the kicker with my hand, it locks up after about one full push. The intake cams will not completely rotate. But when I take out the cams and hold the timing chain with my hand and push the kicker, it'll complete full rotations with no problem. I've read that this could be a possible crumbling valve seat but I'm not sure. This is my first ever bike that I've owned or ever worked on. Anything will help, thank you.

Nevermind, figured it out. I did not have the fly wheel lined up correctly for TDC, rookie move.