Changing tires advice

I’ve always done all maintenance on my bike with the exception of tire changes. Well, no shops are open and I need a new tire, so needless to say, I’m ready to change tires myself. Any advice on technique, tricks and types of tire irons is appreciated, thanks.

Warm the old and new tire in the sun for a while.   You can warm the old tire by lowering the tire pressure to 3-5 lbs and ride it. Don't ride hard, just ride. It will make the tire softer and warmer. Install an innertube in the new tire and inflate a lot.  Leave it overnight.   Make sure it is in the sun or a warm place for a while.  Hot tires are easier to change. There are plenty of  youtube videos.  Watch several.   I recommend  three spoons.  Might have an extra tube.   I don't use rim bands.  I use duct tape.  I had a flat rear on a trail ride and had to ride back on pavement about two miles.  It was so hot, I had to wear my gloves to change it.  It came off easy.   Been doing it that wat since.   Good luck.   Jeff

• Like 2

warm tire

use dish soap on the bead to help install.

get the long 16" spoons only.  anything else sucks.

a rubbermaid brute shop garbage can makes an awesome tire stand.

only stick the tip of the tire spoon in when leveraging on it.  you can stick the spoon in deep, thats ok. but pull it out so justttt the tip is in there. and dont go over 90 degrees with them.  thats how tubes get pinched.

put a few PSI in the tube when installing. makes it way harder to pinch (try pinching an inflated balloon versus a flat one)

the most important of all:  observe how the bead can be pushed to the center of the rim.. notice how the center of the rim drops down?  it allows the bead to go into that dropped down area and the entire tire shifts over 2-3mm so that veryyyy last bite is easier/possible.    

with that being said, you want to start the tire removal at the rim lock (so opposite end can drop into the center of the rim and shift over).

you want to start the install opposite of the rim lock.  end the install on the rim lock, thats where the very last bite should be.   that allows the opposite bead to drop into the center of the rim, shift over a few mm, then slide over the rim lock easily.   if you do opposite of what I say, the rim lock will royally screw you from getting that last bite on and thats how spoons break.

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 1

Most of above and I've posted my spoons before as well as the vid I watch when I want to be inspired on how to change a tire.

20160615_173955.thumb.jpg.40e552f327ab7ec58d85beaaa18de9bd.jpg

I don't have a changing stand but IMO a milk crate on an old carpet works good cus you can use your knee to hold the bead down while rotating/installing the tire.

I can usually do one in about 10mins once its the wheel is off the bike.

• Like 2

I change tires at home on my bikes with the same tools I use in the field.  When you can change your tires with 10 inch spoons you know you are doing it right.  If you need a crow bar you will likely break a bead at some point.  Best to learn good technic instead of brute force.  I save the 16 inch levers for mousse installs.

Watch a lot of videos.

Taking off the old tires...  warm them...  break the beads...  lube with dish soap and water...  pull first bead...  remove tube...  flip wheel remove second bead...  wheel is now inside the tire...  stand it up...  press down on top of tire...  yank wheel out of side of tire.

Putting on new tire...  warm tire...  coat inside with baby powder...  put a bit of air in tube just enough to take shape with core in...  toss tube in trash bag with a little baby powder and shake it...   save that bag and powder for next time...  put tube in tire still has just enough air to keep shape...  line up valve stem and start the nut just 2 threads... lube both tire beads and rim...   if rim lock is near valve stem hook tire under edge of rim lock...  rim lock should be very loose...  you should almost be able to shove 1st bead on by hand...  finish first bead with spoons...  push tire and tube down on rim...  check valve is straight...  start spooning opposite side from rim lock...  work both side finishing at rim lock...  use bead buddy to help keep opposite side in drop center of rim...  stop periodically and push tire down in drop center opposite where you are prying and relube if not still wet.

Tubliss mount differently...  mousses mount just like the tube tires I just described.

3 to 4 changes and you'll be a pro. :cheers:

Do not need to add to the previous posts other than I use a 5 gallon bucket with a length of heater hose cushioning the lip as a changing stand.  Enjoy

• Like 3

The video posted above is great.  Watch it several times.  The only thing I do different is, I place three spoons in the tire about four inches apart first.  Then I lever one down, then #2 and then lever #3.  It is easier to get three spoons in while the tire is loose.   Warm the tires first as several of us have said.   Great video.   Don't expect to be that fast. Let us know how it goes.

2 hours ago, Jeff B said:

The video posted above is great.  Watch it several times.  The only thing I do different is, I place three spoons in the tire about four inches apart first.  Then I lever one down, then #2 and then lever #3.  It is easier to get three spoons in while the tire is loose.   Warm the tires first as several of us have said.   Great video.   Don't expect to be that fast. Let us know how it goes.

I do the same as you but I will raise you by two levers. 5 in, 1,2,3,4,5 and side is off less than 30 seconds.

15 hours ago, kcposty said:

Do not need to add to the previous posts other than I use a 5 gallon bucket with a length of heater hose cushioning the lip as a changing stand.  Enjoy

If using a bucket throw in some bricks or anything else heavy you have around to make it more stable 

Edited by Dirtstache 556
  • Like 1

24in irons from Harbor Freight.  I have the Motion Pros too, but the 2ft irons are sweet. 

Edited by kxlubber