Sign in to follow this  

KDX 220 FULL REBUILD!!!!

OK..... so I got a KDX220 project that I’m gonna finally do. Been sitting in garage apart and tagged and bagged.... I’m gonna rebuild this thing to compete with modern enduro bikes. I want y’all’s opinions, pics, stories... whatever. Just long as it’s about KDX .... Give me dem secrets...lol

also it’s a 2003 and I’ve been building bikes my whole life so tell me something I don’t already know. Thanks fellas👍

D841D849-1F32-4B81-953C-DD46F5D45CEA.jpeg

AB2A3F99-E44E-4583-9DBA-4F8A5BA5B6B6.jpeg

• Like 3

A buddy of mine did this with his 200

Put the engine in a KX 125 chassis, big improvement.

51B08221-D088-4912-B8A6-FA04EB886DBF.jpeg

E3109ECC-E38F-4045-93EF-1AB2A5CE3ADA.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Poldies said:

A buddy of mine did this with his 200

Put the engine in a KX 125 chassis, big improvement.

51B08221-D088-4912-B8A6-FA04EB886DBF.jpeg

E3109ECC-E38F-4045-93EF-1AB2A5CE3ADA.jpeg

I'll see your motor swap, and raise it to a KDX trans in to a KX250. 

Use secret search term "No1cyde"

• Like 2

I’m 6ft1 and after the holidays I’m 210 pounds ...lol. So no on a 125 frame but thank you. 
About a KDX trans in a KX250 I have a 97 KX sitting in my shop ready. So what’s up? 
Honestly I really want to build the 220 and enduro bike like it was made for but better. Gonna do crank.. piston...kips..etc all new... surely somebody has had this idea before...?

A hybrid build with a KDX engine and KX125 frame is the most competitive combo you could start with. The KX125 is a full sized bike, so being a taller rider isn't an issue, and is lighter than a KDX frame. Plus, from the factory a KX125 chassis comes with vastly superior suspension.

That said, you can do a lot to the KDX chassis and engine to make it a lot better. Fork and shock swaps, RB carb and head mods, port job, 240cc big bore, Vforce or RAD valve upgrades, (for the 220) FMF Gnarly desert pipe and turbine core silencer, adjustable ignitions, better/larger front brake through fork swap.

I have done all these mods to my 220 except for having the cylinder ported and the big bore (not willing to lose my powervalves). I just cleaned up the casting flash in the cylinder ports and gasket matched everything. I think my KDX is very competitive and especially so when the course is tight and/or nasty. Here's my bike profile over at the KDXrider.net forums: '98 KDX220.

BTW, about every mod and swap you can think of has been documented over at the KDXrider.net forums.  We have sub-forums dedicated to just hybrid builds and for suspension swaps. Check it out and read up!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, crypto666 said:

I think this may be what you want to read.  

He's already got a 220 so I don't understand what he is to do with that info. :excuseme:

Thank you for all the help fellas. Also I’m a member of the KDX riders forum but ya never know what somebody knows. I’ve grew up riding some of the roughest trails in the Appalachian mountains so I’ve always wanted to build a tough 2 strok’n KDX for the mountains and single track👍

• Like 1

RB designs carb and head mods make a HUGE difference.  Fmf gnarly pipe livens up low/mid after carb mod.    Stiffer fork springs.  Not too much can help fork but gold valve helps.  Have shock freshened too.  Wiseco piston.  Modern handlebar and a fredette racing handlebar clamp so it wont twist.  Id do barkbusters.  Loctite kickstarter and kickstand bolts.  Bleed brakes.  New reeds or reed block.  Do all that and youll have a contender.  I had a 98 220.  

Edited by WRider995
  • Helpful 1

Just ordered all the rebuild kits.....top end... bottom end (crank) and carb.... would like to get another top end but parts are kinda hard to find for these things unfortunately. 
Also were I ride really rough trails I’d like to give the softer front shocks a try but I hear allot of ppl saying change ‘em. I have a 1997 KX I could swap in if need be. 

As much as I love my upgraded KX front forks for speeds above 15mph, when riding slow technical terrain the stock forks are hard to beat once setup correctly.