DR350SE1996

Should I get a Renthal handlebar?

Posted (edited)

There's no reason I need to replace my current DR 350SE handlebar but the idea has been simmering in my head.

If I am correct, my stock handlebar is made of steel while the Renthal is made of aluminum, so replacing would make the bike lighter.

Additional features:

• High impact strength, lightweight and excellent vibration dampening

• Shot peened surface finish to help prevent fatigue failure

• Knurling on left bar end to increase bonding between bar and grip

• Anodized to protect against corrosion

• Laser etched positioning grid

• Looks good

To those of you who have such a handlebar, especially if you first had a normal steel bar, how satisfied are you with it?

Among the different models... https://fortnine.ca/en/sizecharts/template/get/renthal-handlebars-standard-size-chart

... I would intuitively choose the XR 400 but it's not available at Fortnine. Don't know why. Otherwise the Enduro.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by DR350SE1996

I prefer Pro Taper which IMO also makes a good bar but would not have a problem using a Renthal bar

I use 7/8" bars and I prefer Pro Taper SE CR HI bends on my bikes but thats just me on my DRZ and CRF and I've used them on a street bike.

Not a bad link to compare bars if your interested.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/rm-rider-exchange/handlebar-information/

7 minutes ago, filterx said:

I prefer Pro Taper SE CR HI bends on my bikes

Hi filterx, is it just for the size?

1 minute ago, DR350SE1996 said:

Hi filterx, is it just for the size?

Hey man.

My DRZ and CRF both had the Pro Taper CR Hi bars on them when I got them used and only bought a new one for my CRF when I thought I'd bent it but it turned out to be something else so hence why I used it on a street bike.

Otherwise Renthal Aluminum 7/8" Handlebar has a CR HI (look at the link I post) and really only bought the Pro Taper SE cus my local shop had one in stock and IMO bar bends etc might be more important than the actual make of the bar for setting up the bike for where/how you ride but as I said I'd have NP buying a Renthal bar.

Anyway where roughly do you live in Canada and is there a specific Renthal bar your interested in and would you be buying from some place like Fort Nine?

I'm not familiar with the DR so not sure if there is anything really specific about a bar but what year is yours?

I hope i haven't made complicated cus it really shouldn't be

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, filterx said:

Anyway where roughly do you live in Canada and is there a specific Renthal bar your interested in and would you be buying from some place like Fort Nine?

I'm not familiar with the DR so not sure if there is anything really specific about a bar but what year is yours?

I hope i haven't made complicated cus it really shouldn't be

What I didn't understand is why you prefer Pro Taper over Renthal, hence my question. Or did I get you wrong?

As my username implies, I have a 1996 DR.

I'm in Quebec and I have purchased from Fortnine already but I could buy from elsewhere in North America as long as shipping is fast and free.

Edited by DR350SE1996

13 minutes ago, DR350SE1996 said:

What I didn't understand is why you prefer Pro Taper over Renthal, hence my question. Or did I get you wrong?

As my username implies, I have a 1996 DR.

I'm in Quebec and I have purchased from Fortnine already but I could buy from elsewhere in North America as long as shipping is fast and free.

No preference I was just suggesting an option to the Renthal's if the Pro Tapers are cheaper and easier to get .

Sorry missed the year in your user name cus I normally add the year of the bike when I'm posting a question but I also have them in my sig.

I looked at the OEM microfiche for the 96 DR350 cus I wasn't sure what the bar mounting was cus somethings the mounts are part of the bars but you should be good with what ever after market 7/8' bar you choose.

Small?ariz=1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filterx said:

you should be good with what ever after market 7/8' bar you choose.

Small?ariz=1

Great.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, plugeye said:

i have a like-new protaper CR-hi I'm selling locally for $45

cr-hi3.jpg

I'm actually interested. I'm just not quite sure about the Hi part. Is it for tall people? My stock bar feels perfect. I never had any other for comparison though.

I assume your price is in USD. Is shipping included? If not, how much do you charge? Do I see a brown stain on the pad? Have you posted your listing somewhere else?

Edited by DR350SE1996

26 minutes ago, DR350SE1996 said:

Great.

I just looked and Fortnine sucks for trying to narrow down bar options but this might give you an idea of options and what the USA costs are.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/handlebars

Otherwise buy just buy some Renthals and I now regret replying to your post.

Maybe @ToadalyCrazyCanadiancan help you out in Quebec cus IMO your way over thinking this and I'm done trying to be helpful

Edited by filterx
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filterx said:

I just looked and Fortnine sucks for trying to narrow down bar options but this might give you an idea of options and what the USA costs are.

Why regret replying to my post? Do you need me to buy a Pro Taper handlebar?

10 minutes ago, filterx said:

Maybe @ToadalyCrazyCanadiancan help you out in Quebec cus IMO your way over thinking this and I'm done trying to be helpful

You've been helpful. Thank you. I don't know what else you expect me to say. You may think I overthink, but I just don't want to buy something that isn't right for me.

19 minutes ago, filterx said:

Someone isn't taking solid advice and you think I will be friendly 😂😂😂😂

Nvm... I see what you did there. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DR350SE1996 said:

You've been helpful. Thank you. I don't know what else you expect me to say. You may think I overthink, but I just don't want to buy something that isn't right for me.

Once you choose the manufacture etc of the bar IMO no one is going to tell what exactly bend is going to work for you.

At the very least it's easy/free to move them forward/back to adjust for how/where you ride.

If you look at the link I first posted there really isn't a whole lot of difference in the measurements so good luck

12 minutes ago, DR350SE1996 said:

I will ship you my stock ts200r bars if you pay shipping.  They are the same bars as yours, but smell like my dildo collection.  

Seriously though,  I have a set of OEM bars that were the same as your bike if you just bent yours and are bitching about options you can't afford or something.  I replaced mine from Royal Distributing for like $40. My old ones are sitting in a bucket because it was cheaper to replace them than paint them properly 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ToadalyCrazyCanadian said:

Someone isn't taking solid advice

I don't know how you guys got that idea from my posts, but you are mistaken.

3 minutes ago, ToadalyCrazyCanadian said:

I have a set of OEM bars that were the same as your bike if you just bent yours and are bitching about options you can't afford or something.  I replaced mine from Royal Distributing for like $40. My old ones are sitting in a bucket because it was cheaper to replace them than paint them properly 

My stock handlebar is alright but I'm looking for an upgrade nonetheless and I think plugeye's offer is right on. Thanks anyway.

13 minutes ago, DR350SE1996 said:

I don't know how you guys got that idea from my posts, but you are mistaken.

I bet you he wasn't.  Maybe I am, but gaze upon my field of &%$#@!s and see that it is baren. If new bars were a burden to bike maintenance,  you probably should take up a sport like masterbating... that's much cheaper.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ToadalyCrazyCanadian said:

I bet you he wasn't.  Maybe I am, but gaze upon my field of &%$#@!s and see that it is baren. If new bars were a burden to bike maintenance,  you probably should take up a sport like masterbating... that's much cheaper.  

I'm just a newbie shopping, so please be patient. The actual maintenance will have to be done by a mechanic for now. If shipping cost makes sense, I will probably take plugeye up on his offer. So then, would you and filterx still believe his advice was wasted? No need to reply. I don't think either one of us cares enough about this little argument. You must have better things to do...

Edited by DR350SE1996