Hello fellow RMX’ers

Welp, I’ll get this started. 👍

My name is Jeremy. Long time RMX enthusiast. After riding my buddies ‘89 RMX a bunch in the early 90’s, I just had to have one. Finally bought myself a barely used ‘98, in 1999. 

B90C162A-C33B-427A-ABE9-326704965947.jpeg.c3c8955188e39a7f4a7b3d06c9dec721.jpeg
Photo 2007~ish

Absolutely love this bike. Over the years have done many many mods.  One of the most recent is a Zeeltronics programmable ignition with a late model YZ250 carb utilizing the TPS and Power Jet. 

Long time mechanic. Worked many years as a millwright for my 9-5, and like to weld/machine parts in my small machine shop as a hobby. About 2012 I welded and machined up a head for it. That was a game changer for the power delivery and output. 2016 I welded up a bunch more with tighter wider squish bands, which worked even better. Posted some picts here on TT, then ended up selling a few. Lol

Picked up this ‘96 in 2018, and completely rebuilt top to bottom. 
CFEA3A85-0EF0-46BB-A8F7-AC6829F3BC8F.jpeg.7d2a468c6b2f644c10ff5ed8faa2e152.jpeg

She looks a little naked now with no graphics, but hopefully I’ll have some replica 98 graphics in a few months to stick on her. 
ECD23331-E446-4960-B50F-8E8D1E749D8D.jpeg.b73a4fc6600b166f0828e74b23d83d29.jpeg

Long list of mods... Better suited for Build thread section. 

The RMX450’s got their own sub-forum. About time us RMX250 riders got someplace to share and ask questions. Ha ha 👍

I’ll update the club with more info when I get more time. 

• Like 2

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the club invite. I have a very similar story to yours as well. I rode my first RMX about 20 years ago and fell in love with it. They're so rare and very few are left out there. I came accross a really used RMX about 2 years ago and picked it up for 400 bucks. I also did a too to bottom rebuild. I only wish I powdercoated the frame and engine cases while I was in there. My pictures show what the bike looked like the day I got it and what it looks like today.

20181229_111241.jpg

20190704_132734.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for joining, everyone. Welcome to the club. 👍

That looks awesome! Love seeing everyone’s RMXs and reading about the mods they’ve done. These bikes had a almost ‘cult’ like following in the 90’s early ‘00’s. Sad to see that has went away. 

I remember when the RMX first came out a article in MXA calling them “The Ultimate Woods Weapon”. That’s what peaked my, and one of my good riding buddies interest. While I couldn’t afford then, my friend could, and went and bought himself a brand new ‘89. I was sooo jealous. Lol

You got yourself a great deal for $400!

Much of the RMX stuff in the 2 stroke forum gets so buried by everything else, I figured it was time for us to have a resource dedicated to these great machines.

I’ll be adding a bunch of content I’ve learned over the years, much of which was from members that no longer visit TT, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.👍

15 minutes ago, TEGRITY RMX said:

Thanks for joining, everyone. Welcome to the club. 👍

That looks awesome! Love seeing everyone’s RMXs and reading about the mods they’ve done. These bikes had a almost ‘cult’ like following in the 90’s early ‘00’s. Sad to see that has went away. 

I remember when the RMX first came out a article in MXA calling them “The Ultimate Woods Weapon”. That’s what peaked my, and one of my good riding buddies interest. While I couldn’t afford then, my friend could, and went and bought himself a brand new ‘89. I was sooo jealous. Lol

You got yourself a great deal for $400!

Much of the RMX stuff in the 2 stroke forum gets so buried by everything else, I figured it was time for us to have a resource dedicated to these great machines.

I’ll be adding a bunch of content I’ve learned over the years, much of which was from members that no longer visit TT, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.👍

I couldn't agree more. I only paid 400, but the piston was seized and destroyed itself. A grand or so later, there it sits with a new lease on life. It's by far the best 2 smoker I've owned. Nothing better than a properly tuned RMX ripping through the woods! I also made mine street legal to have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Hey everyone, and thank you Jeremy for the invite! Super stoked that you made this happen. 

My name is Cody and unlike you guys, I hadn't been introduced into the awesome world of RMXs until about 5 years ago. Although, I have been a 2 stroke enthusiast since I was young. In fact, 10 years ago now, my Dad and I built a 1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler build to race out at Portland International Raceway. 132872_549457381737537_289803345_o.jpg.c79cfbbc4f1d37a708288d5b94a55671.jpg

My RMX is a 1991 model which I honestly bought in great condition and haven't had to do much restoring to. Thanks to Jeremy and much of the other TT members it has been a fun project and a great woods bike. This is the current setup with my freshly done SM street wheels and tires. IMG_20200330_184320.jpg.d86e66c053c7d2dca00663f9ff5e0829.jpg

• Like 1

Most recent pic of my RMX. Lets see some more of these awesome bikes. They're like fine wine and only get better with age!

20200523_140708.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for inviting me, my RMX is going to be out of the shop in a few days, and i get a month or two before I leave for the Army, but it'll be here when I get back lmao. This was my first bike, a 1997 RMX 250 and I love it. Tegrity helped me a lot in the forums, she's been a nightmare to fix, probably because I dont know what I'm doing, but after two engine rebuilds you tend to get a better idea 😄. I've ridden friend's bikes and the RMX is definitely my favorite

• Like 1

@codywood806 The X6 Hustler is sweet! Your RMX too.👍

@krivs388 I almost bought that same graphics kit. Good to know the quality is good. That was something I wondered about. Looks great!

@CrispyCat  Sucks you gotta go, but I’m sure I can speak for everyone and say Thank you for your service. 🇺🇸
Never a good feeling when your done assembling something and find ‘spare parts’. Glad I was able to help ya out there. 👍

Looking at your pict I see someone swapped out your conventionals with USD forks. I like that frame/master cylinder guard too.

If you make your bike too nice it’ll end up being a ‘garage queen’ like my 96. Lol. 😉

@TEGRITY RMX The guy I got it from had a son who did motocross, apparently he was pretty good, ranked in the state. Driving home on a quad after drinking with his buddies he got hit, and spent a while in the er, he wasn't supposed to live, i think he did something to his spine or something, but he made it through and had to relearn how to even eat. He's doing okay now, but that was the end of his riding. Anyways, thats why my RMX isin't as nice as the other ones on here, restoration speaking, because he turned it into a motocross bike, the guards, the number plate, i didn't realize there was different forks, hmm looks like the bike had a bit more work done on it than i thought. Lightly rode, barely been out of the garage XD

One of my good friends (and prior riding buddy) from way back in high school got taken out by a SxS a few years ago. Broke his back too. Wife made him sell his bike after that. Now I drag RMX250_rider along with when he has time. Ha ha

If he was racing MX with your bike he probably made a bunch of suspension mods. RMX suspension is way too soft in both spring rates and valving to be landing any big jumps. Looks like you have a 19” rear wheel instead of the 18” too. 

Ah, this is exactly the club I've been after! 🙂

My dad got back into biking last year after a 40yr hiatus from them. He's always been a Suzuki and 2T man. An RMX was listed locally and he bought it, thinking it was an RM250 like he had back in the day. We didn't realise what he had bought until I did some Googling, and he's now more in love with the RMX than he ever was with the RM's.

I'm in Scotland and therefore we have a Japanese import 1996MY SJ14A/J117. 

I'll get some pics posted up in the other thread! 

Gordy 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 1:24 AM, TEGRITY RMX said:

Welcome Gordy. 👍

You guys are lucky to get updated RMX’s. Lots of stuff I wish I had on mine, like the larger 3 phase stator and thermostat. 😎

We are indeed! I'm still getting to grips with all the RMX quirks, for example - should I take the power valve apart just to check it 😅

If I ever find myself on route to Washington, can I bring the cylinder head in my luggage for some welding? 😉

Gordy 

Yes. Power valves should be one of the first things to inspect. I believe yours is a different style, resembling the 96-2000 RM, but still a good idea to take a look. 

You guys also got a much improved cylinder head. No need for welding. The thermostat head only needs to have squish clearance corrected, and chamber volume adjusted to compensate for the milling of gasket surface. I imported one from Greece not too long ago to use on my spare engine, and build myself a aluminum frame RMX (when I come across a late model RMZ450 with a blown engine). 😎 

8DC13B5E-7126-4A31-8948-FD9CE1A206F8.thumb.png.c810775a6dbb712de601fedd8e3dddb2.png

3D210252-EF64-4D00-BE7A-15D21613A324.thumb.png.39320baf731248cdf54b630e2c23195f.png

On 6/15/2020 at 10:21 PM, TEGRITY RMX said:

You guys also got a much improved cylinder head. No need for welding. The thermostat head only needs to have squish clearance corrected, and chamber volume adjusted to compensate for the milling of gasket surface. I imported one from Greece not too long ago to use on my spare engine, and build myself a aluminum frame RMX (when I come across a late model RMZ450 with a blown engine). 😎 

Ah! I did not know this, very much still learning about the JDM spec. Thanks for the info.

Look forward to seeing the photos of your build when it starts.  Presume a bust RMZ450 won't be too long in coming along?

Hello, good to see this club! I'm rebuilding mine in UK, I've got the jap import as well, it's very different from the regular one. Much larger flywheel, stator, smaller carb , different head, different electrics etc. IMG_20200119_105659_HDR.thumb.jpg.a015263c6be14aee554e47a6e7c8ebce.jpgi need to finish electrics and exhaust. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment so rmx will have to wait! Also need to get this back up and running.2120839709_DSCN7180.jpg320x480.jpg.e053a4a46108578720b57dd6487fa02c.jpgthanks Tegrity for all your help so far, much appreciated. Reg

• Like 2

Husky,

Welcome to the club! I see you have the iron tank version of the RMX. Very cool to see. Our RMX club is continuing to grow. Glad to finally have an outlet for all of us RMX owners.

Thanks, krivs. It did have a metal tank but the one on it is plastic. It's down as a '93. One of the odd years I think. I have rm250 power valves at moment .it had blanking plates in there! Would like three piece valves but too hard to find at moment. I'll see how it works out with two piece.

• Like 1