CT70 Fork Lowers Won't Come Off

I received the fork seals I was waiting for, and wanted to replace the seals asap. I saw on you tube that you could remove the lowers with the fork on the bike, so I tried to do that. I removed the snap ring, and tried to pull one of the forks down. I even tried to use a rubber mallet, and that didn't work. So I ended up unscrewing that Philips head at the bottom of the forks, and thought that was holding it down. It endless turned, so I thought it was removed. Then I tried to take the lowers off, and it still wouldn't come off. When I decided to back the parts that I removed, the Philips head screw and it would endlessly turn when I tried to tighten it. I looked up why it was endlessly turning, and I think someone said to put pressure on the forks till it bottoms out, then tighten it. But I did that and it still didn't tighten or catch a grip on any threading (It tightened on the left fork). So now the right fork tube leaks from that Philips screw, and I'm running the bike with no oil in the right tube (which is terrible).

Please help me. 

The damper rod inside the fork is spinning. You can try with the spring installed, and/or use a rattle gun to spin it quickly. Failing that you will need to remove the spring, compress the fork leg and use the correct damper rod holding tool (or bodge one up). DON'T ride it with the screw loose !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grouty said:

The damper rod inside the fork is spinning. You can try with the spring installed, and/or use a rattle gun to spin it quickly. Failing that you will need to remove the spring, compress the fork leg and use the correct damper rod holding tool (or bodge one up). DON'T ride it with the screw loose !

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/models-with-no-year/ct70k3-a/front-fork

Where is the damper rod? I also don't see the screw I'm looking for in this diagram. Any tips on taking the forks off, because it's really hard to remove the forks from the bike.

Post up a photo or 2, something not making sense.

Phillips head screw sounds like it might be the drain screw, but you describe the action like its the dampening rod bolt that holds everything together.

Plus, you say the Partzilla diagram doesn't match up to what you have? Maybe someone swapped out to different forks?

51 minutes ago, BigDaddy22 said:

Post up a photo or 2, something not making sense.

Phillips head screw sounds like it might be the drain screw, but you describe the action like its the dampening rod bolt that holds everything together.

Plus, you say the Partzilla diagram doesn't match up to what you have? Maybe someone swapped out to different forks?

This picture is not of my forks, but this is the same thing. For some reason partzilla doesn't show this part or anything regarding dampening in the diagram I posted. I also check all the way back to the CT70HK1, then back up to the 1979 CT70, and I still didn't find the bolt or anything with dampening in the partzilla diagrams.

425785590_CT70ForkLowerPhilipsScrew.PNG.8a181a8ef90f2bc4fe07cf8122de70e1.PNG

Edited by RedRockets_up_in_here_dude

So like Groudy sez, the dampening rod is spinning, rattle gun or a tool to hold it required.  If compressing the spring doesn't provide enough resistance to get the screw out, try removing the top cap and spring. Have a look down inside to see what the top of the rod looks like. Then you could carve the end of a broom stick to to a shape to try and hold it. The screw is loose so shouldn't take much to hold the rod from spinning. Wood won't damage the internals.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I don't know if it's bad to post again on old posts, but I took a long break from the forks to do other things to the bike, and got the Phillips screw tightened, with oil. But now I want to remove the lowers, and I said they wouldn't come off even after removing the snap ring, and pounding and pulling on the lowers. Any clue to why they won't come off? am I skipping a step(s)?

As said before ……. you need to remove the crosshead screw from the bottom of the forks. You can pound all you like, but until that is out they will not come apart. That screw holds the bottom of the damper rod to the slider (outer part). Once that is removed it will just slide apart.

• Helpful 1

6 hours ago, grouty said:

As said before ……. you need to remove the crosshead screw from the bottom of the forks. You can pound all you like, but until that is out they will not come apart. That screw holds the bottom of the damper rod to the slider (outer part). Once that is removed it will just slide apart.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Ill do that today.