Kicking over RMZ250

I'm a smaller rider and not super strong (haven't hit the gym since late Feb. because of the 'rona). I've just purchased a 2013 RMZ250 and its my first bike with no electric start, and I'm having alot of trouble kicking it over. It's like I'm putting all of my weight and strength but just can only barely get it to fire, though my older brother can kick it over 1st or 2nd try. Any tips on being able to kick start the bike?

Kicking a 4 stroke is a bit different strength of the kick matters little. Form matters most. Get the kick starter and roll it over slow until it gets hard. You are approaching TDC then. Bump it just past TDC and get the kick starter all the way to the top again. Then give it a good strong boot through the whole stroke of the kicker.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, 87XR250R said:

Kicking a 4 stroke is a bit different strength of the kick matters little. Form matters most. Get the kick starter and roll it over slow until it gets hard. You are approaching TDC then. Bump it just past TDC and get the kick starter all the way to the top again. Then give it a good strong boot through the whole stroke of the kicker.

Excatly what this says

5 hours ago, 87XR250R said:

Ahh OK. I'll be sure try this on the bike, ill let you know how it goes.