CRF150r shock spring

I could use some help since I don't know a lot about dirt bikes yet.  I purchased a BBR heavy duty spring for my grandson's Honda crf150r.  I took off the gray spring that was on the shock and installed the red BBR 660-HCR-8005 6.2kg spring.  Both springs measure 9 5/8 inches in length.  The upper portion of the shock threads (photo one) show where the adjusting ring and lock ring started and the shinny portion shows where the rings were covering the threads.  In order to preload the BBR spring ( photo 2) I had to go pasted the area the rings were positioned with the stock spring.  Going through the process of setting the sag for the rider I had to turn the adjusting ring all the way to the bottom end of the threads and I was not able to achieve the 3 1/2 inch sag that I wanted. The sag is at 4 1/8 inches.   What am I doing wrong?

Honda16shocksping 001.jpg

Honda16shocksping 002.jpg

The 'gray' spring is obviously not original to the bike, 

any chance it was already stiffer than the 6.2 you replaced it with.

Since they both have the same overall length,

measured with a slide caliper/vernier, how does the wire diameter compare on both?

Edited by mlatour

Sounds like the new sprint is still too soft

I researched until I found the answer.  The problem was the collar was above the locking plate instead of below the locking plate. Was able to change it right on the bike, so problem solved. 

• Like 1