DRZ 400 E not getting any spark

Hey all,

I purchased a 2000 DRZ400E a few weeks ago and it ran well when I test drove it. It started fine with no issues. 

I let it sit for about 2 weeks until the weather got better. In that time period I didn't attempt to start it but I did remove the carb and rebuild it. I also had the battery on a tender charger. Fast forward to the last few days, I put the carb back in and cleaned the bike down. Tried starting it but no luck. It cranks and turns over but the engine will not run. 

Okay, I figured no problem it must be something simple. I took out the carb and replaced it with a known working one from a friend's bike. Again, same thing. The petcock was also working fine so I eliminated fuel being the problem. Next thing up was spark. 

I checked for spark and lo and behold, I was getting nothing at the plug. Not even the faintest spark. I purchased two plugs and tried them both. Again nothing. 

Okay, odd. Maybe it's a wiring issue. Had the wiring harness replaced with one from a previous bike the I parted out and again same issue. Then proceeded to replace the battery, stator, coil, and CDI from an S model. That also did not make a difference. Removed the kill switch (even though it was swapped) and still nothing. 

Now, I'm sitting here completely stumped as to what the issue could be. I feel like I've tried everything I could possibly think of, find on-line, and on this forum. 

If there's an experienced DRZ guru out here, I would greatly appreciate it if you can steer me in the right direction. 

You may simply have a fouled spark plug. You can use any sparkplug to check for spark, so put another in the cap and see if it gets a spark. I'd start there. Or, you may have accidentally unplugged one of the wires leading to the coil when you removed or replaced the carb. Worth checking. Make sure that the sparkplug cap is tight on the coil lead wire as well.

Did you test the coil?  How about power/signal/ground at the CDI?

Check all your grounds and did you plug in the tps when you reinstalled the carb?

Edited by mech4matsnova

2 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

You may simply have a fouled spark plug. You can use any sparkplug to check for spark, so put another in the cap and see if it gets a spark. I'd start there. Or, you may have accidentally unplugged one of the wires leading to the coil when you removed or replaced the carb. Worth checking. Make sure that the sparkplug cap is tight on the coil lead wire as well.

I replaced the spark plug two different times to see if it would make a difference but it did not. I also visually verified that the coil wires were making a tight connection. I plan on using a multimeter to check all the connections later today. 

2 minutes ago, mech4matsnova said:

Did you test the coil?  How about power/signsl/ground at the CDI?

I did not test the coil, but did replace it with a different one. I'll test it today with a multimeter and report my finding back here. 

Yeah, that's correct. It cranks over and tries to start but wont. I believe it's the spark. Why it's not getting spark, I have no idea. That's what I'm trying to narrow down. 

Since you've swapped so many known parts from a running bike I think that you should have a peak at the cam timing.That the marks line up,cams at 10 and 2 o'clock and that the valve clearance is good and the cam chain didn't jump from being stretched or acct didn't fail in some way.

The only time I had zero spark with my DRZ was when I had accidentally removed a wire from the back of the ECU harness while I was requiring the bike.  I think the wire I had removed was one of the interlock signals. 

UPDATE: 

I found the issue. I contacted someone who's pretty familiar with these bikes. He suggested I reopen the stator and take a look at it. I did that, and sent him a picture. Upon closer inspection, he found that there was a small spacer that had stuck to the copper wiring in the stator. The theory was that the spacer was grounding out the stator. I put everything back together and tried again. Still no luck....

Then I realized the copper wiring in the stator is actually insulated. So even if the washer was there, it would not have grounded it. It could have very well caused major problems in the future. However it was not the issue here. 

I retraced my steps and came across a post by Noble, a very noble gentleman indeed, as he has answered hundreds of questions that i've had on this bike. His posts are all over TT forums. He had suggested in another post to ensure that the orange wire from the harness to the CDI is getting 12v. I checked that and on both harnesses the orange wire was not getting 12v. My understanding is that this wire gives power to the CDI while the signal comes from the stator to the CDI which sends it to the coil to produce a spark. The signal from the stator was always there, but since the CDI was not powered on, it could not forward the signal to the coil. Anyways I traced the wire and found that it was pinched and had a bad connection. As soon as I fixed that, the bike fired right up! 

I've seen so many posts that don't have a follow through. Since I found the issue I wanted to update the forum and let any future readers know what my issue and fix were. I hope this helps! 

Thank you to everyone who responded!

Edited by zafarmuhammad96
  • Like 1

This is the washer that had fallen into the stator. Also after a little bit of reading, it seems like this print is actually incorrect. That washer should be in front of the snap ring ( no. 3) and behind the gears (no. 1). I've also seen other prints that have it correctly shown. This particular one was from the DRZ Companion App on Android. 

The correct way was found on a TT post by Erick Marquez. He has many detailed posts on TT and I highly suggest reading up on them if you own a DRZ. Here is the link to the forum where I found the correct way to install the spacer. 

20200526_114139.jpg

Edited by zafarmuhammad96