Should I go for a newer DRZ?

I figured I’d ask here since you guys are more knowledgeable about the DRZ. I seen a 2004 DRZ with low miles, may be able to get it for around $3500. What I was wondering is, should I save up and buy new or newer? I have roughly $5k in hand now, and I don’t really wanna finance at this point in time. From my understanding it’s basically been the same bike over time except for minor changes, starting in 2001(?) I think. What would you all say? I’m pretty much new to dealerships, and if you guys have any advice for going there I’d gladly listen.

Thanks for any and all advice! 

4 hours ago, Happymayne240 said:

I figured I’d ask here since you guys are more knowledgeable about the DRZ. I seen a 2004 DRZ with low miles, may be able to get it for around $3500. What I was wondering is, should I save up and buy new or newer? I have roughly $5k in hand now, and I don’t really wanna finance at this point in time. From my understanding it’s basically been the same bike over time except for minor changes, starting in 2001(?) I think. What would you all say? I’m pretty much new to dealerships, and if you guys have any advice for going there I’d gladly listen.

Thanks for any and all advice! 

From 02 on, the S is pretty much unchanged.  Well, that's a lie.  The brand new units have what is called the P.A.I.R device that was previously on the euro models.  If the used bike is truly in good mechanical condition I would buy it and use the savings towards upgrades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

If the used bike is truly in good mechanical condition I would buy it and use the savings towards upgrades.

Me, too. Buy used, let someone else take the depreciation hit.

$3500 for a 16yr old bike is at least $1000 overpriced compared to average blue book value.

In 2004 there were 3 different models of drz400 and they were all significantly different,including the motors;DRZ400 kick only off road only racing model,DRZ400E electric start off road and DRZ400S street legal dual sport w/electric start.

Edited by bumtarder

Are you able to negotiate price a little and what is "low miles".  Has it been modded by unknown person, what changes have been made or is it relatively stock?  If you plan on upgrading, it's nice to have the extra cash for your initial upgrades like carb and exhaust which will prob net you the biggest gains w minimal work right off the bat.

If I do a CL search right now in my area for DRZ400 only 2 show up(Both SMs, which is my preference anyway), and those are outside my search radius. I'd have to go 1.5-2hrs each way just to go look at them, and the lower of the 2 prices is $4,600. 

Pretty normal for here, and given some listings I've seen, maybe a little on the lower end. 

If your find is easy to check out, then I'd go for it. Me, I lean towards buying new at the prices I usually see for used, and the amount of time I'd have to invest in going to check one out. 

16 hours ago, bumtarder said:

$3500 for a 16yr old bike is at least $1000 overpriced compared to average blue book value.

In 2004 there were 3 different models of drz400 and they were all significantly different,including the motors;DRZ400 kick only off road only racing model,DRZ400E electric start off road and DRZ400S street legal dual sport w/electric start.

Location, location, location.  You're lucky to find one clapped out for less than $3000 out here.  Price seems to bottom out around $3500 in my area.

39 minutes ago, bumtarder said:

how does buying a low mileage sm for 4,600 beat spending 8k on a new one?

I'm guessing you were asking how does it *not* beat spending 8K so:

Beyond any particular flags in the posting(there's a few possibles in the one I mentioned), I value my time. A 2 hour trip just to go look at it, then 2 hrs back (with or without a bike) means I'm not doing it on a weeknight. So it's a weekend if I can, and then I have to give up something else. Might be nothing, might be a lot. Since we're talking money here, time *is* money. So I account for that. So is wear and tear on my vehicle, fuel, wear and tear on a trailer or possibly a second persons time, etc. 

I'm not much of a gambler. If that $4,600 comes with undisclosed issues, I might be out even more. Brand new comes with a bit more guarantee, if from a reputable dealer. I acknowledge for some that's a mighty big if, though. Lots of shady dealers out there. The lower the price the more willing I am to risk it, but at 60% of new it's not where I'd like it. As above, the more of my time it would take to wrench on before riding, the more I factor that into the cost. I kinda like wrenching so not a huge deal, but there is a limit, and not everyone has the tools and/or workspace for that to be an option*. 

Private sale means I have to do all the DMV legwork myself. Which means another partially lost weekend, or burning PTO to do it during the workday. More effort means more time, means more cost. 

All in, it's a personal value proposition that takes more into account than just $X sell price vs $Y sell price. There was a period in my life where I had loads of time, and not so much money. So spending the extra time to comb through used sales, go check things out, etc was easy. That's the currency I had to spare. Too bad I didn't ride back then. 

I'm just interested in a DRZSM, but if I had your bank of knowledge, I'd also feel waaaay more confident rolling out to go look at something. Changes the value there. 

*I see this a lot on forums, but there's always an assumption that everyone has plenty of workspace and tools. It's just not always true. One of the early apartments I lived in (when I had all that time) had a narrow single lane parking lot and no cover anywhere. Working on vehicles was discouraged, but not forbidden. However, if you weren't done that day you had to throw a tarp over everything and hope nothing wandered off. For more major work...well, not a lot of choice. The second apartment had parking lot for each building and every apt had a single garage stall, but vehicle maintenance on the property was forbidden. Very minor stuff like wiper replacement or battery was ok, but fluids were a no. They could fine/evict people if caught, and after some jackhole burned down one of the garage buildings doing some welding or torch cutting, they really cracked down (naturally). So yeah, not a lot of buying cheap and working on it yourself there, either. Again, cost vs value. 

• Like 1

I have looked at buying a second DRZ in my area. The only used good values are ~1 year old bikes and the owner takes a $2K hit.  For 5-10 year old bikes, they are asking(probably not selling) at same prices. Some are asking a little more than new prices.  Craigslist has all but dried up in my area. Try Facebook Market Place. I just looked and for $5k, you should be able to buy a new bike that the owner rode home yesterday.

If I had $5k usd, I could be walking out with a new bike at my dealer.  Are they priced that high in the US?

Something to be said about a bike you don't have to wrench on for a few years.  Also the used DRZ market in my area is out to lunch.

For long term ownership I chose new.  I brought my SM new off the floor in 2017 for NZ $9300 if I sold it now it would be worth NZ $7000 - so in my mind not a huge hit. Besides I have no intention of selling it so it's a moot point.  Number 2 (DRZ400E), however, was brought as a non runner.  Having wanted to do a build I though that a non running bike for $700 was a steal.  I had suffered at the hands of its last young owner and had been starved of oil. I apricate those who have limited space to work, fortunately I have a good workshop so completing a ground up rebuild was not an issue.

• Like 2