USFS Updated information - Foresthill Loop 6 Bridge closed, but trail open for out and back

Received this update date from Ranger Matt:  (partial quotes):  " Please communicate that riders should not be crossing that bridge due to compromised structure. ...............management (did) not to close the entire trail and just closed the lower bridge. So…. It’s out and back. ...........seeking funding to repair but it’s a high dollar project that wasn’t planned so it will be a process to secure funding. .......... A lot of work still needs to be completed on the east side of 6 (tree fell, rootballs ripped out tread in some places).   Check how bent those steel stringers are. Those are 33 inches in height! Frustrating but also impressive in terms of the force that tree had to do that amount of damage. ........................ARRD trail crew has some M-TH work planned on loop 6 and reroutes on east side upper bridge as well as multiple locations within the core Sugar Pine area if you or anyone else interested in helping out. Otherwise myself and crew will continue doing good work in the woods.

Thanks for supporting OHV!

MB

1.jpg

barricaded Loop 6 bridge.jpg

bent stringer loop 6.jpg

I know this will get fixed. Matt is a good guy and a hard worker. He has been putting a lot of work on the whole trail system. I for one would love to be there when they long line the new beams in there it will be an amazing thing to see.

• Like 1

Use the tree to prop up the bridge...  Bob's chainsaw, a hammer and a box of 10 penny nails ought to do it. thumbsx2.gif.97b4cf09e974b956a8b5932af6df478b.gif

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bajabinder said:

A ramp at each end? Bam! Done. You’re welcome

ElDiablo and the TTR banditos ride club don't need no stinking bridge

• Like 2

Or trail numbers. 

Or trails. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BigStick530 said:

Seems legit.

rider-serves-as-human-bridge-for-motorcycle-in-enduro-rally-video-98663-7.jpg.191c97da65de972d0affdc7f77e8507d.jpg

Brilliant!! That’s going in my play book

• Haha 1

BD716198-21B6-47BF-9CD8-244BA5A57375.thumb.jpeg.6a22c017e209405f761f6ca2206e9d2a.jpeg33061730-24B2-4DF9-9A0E-A19F3053BB80.thumb.jpeg.5d1885708ca198e87e507170f1b77da9.jpeg

After crossing this, Bobs bridge seems fine. 

• Like 3

Those twin I beams are way oversized for their intended load.  They must've had them leftover from some Caltrans project.

I would ride over it all day long as is.  At least as long as I don't break my foot again on my way to the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

34 minutes ago, cobra46 said:

Those twin I beams are way oversized for their intended load.  They must've had them leftover from some Caltrans project.

I would ride over it all day long as is.  At least as long as I don't break my foot again on my way to the bridge.

Or they had some emergency vehicle loading criteria mixed in there too and like you said , took what beams were available  that fit the site design fro the bridge  , but then again look what some Tree fall did.    

Edited by bigbob

Back when the bridge wasn’t there, a tree hitting it wasn’t a problem.  

And the river crossing was a constant source of entertainment. 

Edited by Chief
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Or they had some emergency vehicle loading criteria mixed in there too and like you said , took what beams were available  that fit the site design fro the bridge  , but then again look what some Tree fall did.    

What emergency vehicle can get down there?  Even getting a quad down there would be difficult if not impossible.

yeah but it was designed perhaps in a Cal trans office somewhere out of touch,    but then there is My Big Bob was here SUV crashed at the Deep water crossing in GT.   🙂

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 1