So,  Im looking for upper body protection for hot weather hard enduro / trail riding. Ideally something that can be ridden without a base layer when its really hot. In normal conditions it wpyld be just the protection and jersey on top of that since I sweat allot. CE lv 2 for back is a must, neck brace compatible is also good, since that is a future upgrade. Also, if the item can be worn under a jacket for supermoto that would be a massibe +, but its not really a requirement now, just futureproofing in my part if and when I get sumo wheels 😉. Narrowed it down to these 3:

Leatt 3DF AirFit Hybrid
https://www.leatt.com/shop/moto/upper-body-protection/upper-body-protection-3df-soft-shell/body-protector-3df-airfit-hybrid.html

Alpinestars Bionic Tech B2 protection jacket
https://www.alpinestars.com/products/mx/protection/bionic-tech-v2-protection-jacket

Forcefield EX-K Harness Adventure
https://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/body-armour

All have their good and bad sides, FF seems to tick all the boxes except the neck brace, and rib protection...but it would be most difficult and expensive for me to order right now. A* and Leatt seem to be on par....

Im open to other suggestion, or advice from people with experionce with these items.

Thanx in advance....

Check out the Acerbis Cosmos jacket as well. It is Level 2 on the back (with D3O spine insert) and level 1 everywhere else. I wear the shoulder/elbow protection under my jersey with no base layer. Then I wear the main chest/back armor over my jersey. I think it has pretty decent rib protection and breathes better than any other armored jacket I've tried/owned. I would say it is equal to the A* Bionic jacket as far as airflow yet with better rib protection. It is neck brace compatible as well. I found mine on Amazon for only $165 which is a great price compared to the others you are considering. Details here: https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Acerbis-Cosmo-20-Protector-Jacket Where I bought mine: https://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Cosmo-Armor-Small-Medium/dp/B017AUS2WK?th=1

I currently have full body armor and it is way too heavy and hot to wear in the summer.   I like that Forcefield EX-K Harness Adventure also but I looked around and it is very confusing how they sell it.  Looks like it is modular and very expensive.  I'll wait until I break a couple more ribs and then maybe it will seem like a better deal.

image.png.dcab68dde65d946b2db994490db6dc4d.png

The Forcefield is the most expensive....by about 40 to 50 Eur for my location. Acerbis I can find the cheapest, its about 190 eur here....Im just worried about build quality, the platics look brittle in th pics, I have not seen it live. Also, Acerbis and A* look like they hold the heat the most. Others at least pretend to have holes on the plastics ;).

I really like my leatt 5.5 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-55-body-protector?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbq4-JzI6QIVVT2tBh22iAyQEAQYAiABEgLsT_D_BwE

Its a bit big and seems bulky and heavy when you don't have it on but I completely forget its there when I am riding. I have had a few good get offs over rocky terrain and it has saved me lots of bumps, bruises and pain.

What about airflow? Keep in mind I will ride in 30+ c.....thats 85+ degrees F for you non regular folks 😉 .

Posted (edited)

Just my opinion of course, but as soon as you say hot weather I can't imagine wearing any of these complete jacket style units. Even when I get sweaty and something starts rubbing me raw I'll go nuts!

For hot weather I use a Klim Mohave jersey with an Alpinestar A10 on top. The A10 passes enough air, and the Mohave is aggressively perfed. No dark colors, including the A10, as they just add heat in the desert sun. The rest of the year I like an underarmor base layer (the ultra thin material that you can see body hair thru, not the fashion stuff), then the A10, then jersey.  

Edited by DEL107

3 hours ago, prowler13 said:

What about airflow? Keep in mind I will ride in 30+ c.....thats 85+ degrees F for you non regular folks 😉 .

I wouldn't wear any of those options. All too hot, and we don't ride in the Aus summers. You'll cook doing anything extreme in those. I wear a Zac Speed over armour. Heaps cooler, and easy to take off when you stop for a rest. The built in hydration and back pack is a huge bonus.

I have hard shoulder protection on mine, It's the original. Not sure if that's an option anymore. I know @OZ DRZ AKA Barry Morris, wears Zac Speed. He has a couple of reviews on his you tube ch. He rides in hotter weather, and does a fair amount of extreme/technical stuff.

Might be more here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg/search?query=Zac+Speed

• Helpful 1

I have a Husky 701 Supermoto. I'll be getting leathers ASAP. Which have built in protection/armour. No need for under armour. You'll have more confidence, and ride better for it if you Invest in some good leathers. Plus, if you ever want to do a track day, you'll need them.

For off road riding in warmer weather. You'll wear under armour once. Then never repeat that mistake again. Over armour is the GI-Joe 👍.

We typically ride 16c to 21c temps. Under armour is too hot even then.

Edited by Drop-Bear

I wear my jacket year round riding here in the Arizona desert. I tend to stick to the more flowy and less technical trails in the summer but I still wear my full armor. However, once it gets above 100-105f I stop riding. I just can't shed the heat after it gets up that high.

The Zacspeed is the only choice.  It is 100x cooler than any tight fitting armour.  It is so good it changed my life.  I will NEVER go back to a tight fitting armour suit.

• Like 1

The Zacspeed, as far as I can see now, doesnt come with a hard shoulder option anymore. Given my experince and general track record so far 😉 , I will fall down on my side from time to time and the last time I had low speed spill it was on my shoulder. I was wearing a Fox titan clone  not sure of which brand.

Maybe the Forcefield is the way to go...it has the least ammount of netting, just the armour  and I can take stuff off if I choose so. The A10 with some elbow pads might be an option also. 

Great thread and sparked my interest in the Zacspeed as well. It appears they do offer optional shoulder pads for their system. I believe I’m going to give their system a try, looks awesome and very well priced.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, prowler13 said:

I ride with the 5.5 when it’s 100+ outside. I’m not going to tell you that it’s cool or exceptionally well ventilated, but it’s great protection and a good enough compromise for me. We are always over 30°C in the summer, with many days approaching 40°,  with humidity. The biggest downside to the 5.5 is the attachment for the shoulder pads suck. I zip tied mine in because I got tired of them falling off. The neck brace easily integrates into it.  

Edited by 69fastback

I never really considered the 5.5 tbh, It was only 2 ot 3 points up on the Leatt proprietary protection scale compared to the airfit hybrid....and it looked much bulkier. Compromises in terms of heat vs protection are, for me atleast, a necessity, given my overall experience. I see your point, and would rather be a little hot, than unprotected.

FF might be a no go, after all. Its hard to find now, and the places that do have it dont have a discount, so with shippment + tax that purchase is in the upper 300's €. Zaspeed and A10 are great, and but dont have a elbow protector, and buying one is easy enough, but I have thoight it thrpigh and think might be easier still when u have a whole suit to just put on, not a bunch of parts ie protectors. 

Currently im looking if any of the local retailers might have something in stock, any size, just to see the materials in the flesh, which might give me a better insight.

i have the fox titan sport jacket thing. much more comfortable in the heat with removing the back piece. last time out i took it all the way off though, no more ridiculous sweating and seemed to do better riding just from not being hot. going to try my roost deflector again and maybe some elbow pads

I use the Thor Impact Rig.  Not sure if they make it anymore.

It's hot, but I ride in the mornings in the mountains in the summer.  

I can't wear it without a base layer as it rubs my nipples raw, and starts stinking really bad.  Sometimes I don't wear a jersey over the top, just an UnderArmor type base short sleeve (not tank top, short shirt sleeve) underneath.  

The protection is fantastic.  I've crashed a lot with it on, and has always protected me well.  On tip overs, the elbow guards are amazing.  I've started putting my elbow out to take the hit, never even a bruise.  

I also like how modular it is.  I've taken the back plate off for more airflow, and I typically wear a pack and the back plate made it very uncomfortable.

16 hours ago, prowler13 said:

I never really considered the 5.5 tbh, It was only 2 ot 3 points up on the Leatt proprietary protection scale compared to the airfit hybrid....and it looked much bulkier. Compromises in terms of heat vs protection are, for me atleast, a necessity, given my overall experience. I see your point, and would rather be a little hot, than unprotected.

FF might be a no go, after all. Its hard to find now, and the places that do have it dont have a discount, so with shippment + tax that purchase is in the upper 300's €. Zaspeed and A10 are great, and but dont have a elbow protector, and buying one is easy enough, but I have thoight it thrpigh and think might be easier still when u have a whole suit to just put on, not a bunch of parts ie protectors. 

Currently im looking if any of the local retailers might have something in stock, any size, just to see the materials in the flesh, which might give me a better insight.

They suck. Uncomfortable, and way, way, way too hot in warmer temps. I don't know how people even wear them at all tbh. Hot or not.

I don’t even notice I have my 5.5 on, as far as comfortability goes. I think you’ll only find a few whiners saying they suck because 95%, or more, of the feedback on here is great. There just anything on the market that offers quite as good of protection and they’re not that hot. If you overheat wearing it, it’s more likely you than it is the chest protector. 

2 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

I don’t even notice I have my 5.5 on, as far as comfortability goes. I think you’ll only find a few whiners saying they suck because 95%, or more, of the feedback on here is great. There just anything on the market that offers quite as good of protection and they’re not that hot. If you overheat wearing it, it’s more likely you than it is the chest protector. 

If that was directed to me. I was meaning all the mesh type suit things. We just call it under armour. I wasn't talking about any particular brand. A few people tried it around here, only ever woe it once, and hated it. I knew I'd hate it just from looking at it.

I've never worn elbow guards either, they'd drive me nuts, I take those side shoulder guards off the over armour as well. "Less is more" IMO.

Most of the time I wear an RXR Protect Bullet these days. I don't carry tools or water etc. I wear the same gear I'd wear on an MX track.

On every group ride, we'll get one or two blokes turn up with jackets on. I'll tell them they should take it off, or they'll just end up carrying it all day after the first ST. They never listen, they always take them off after the first ST, and carry them all day.
We don't ride in summer here, and sweat our asses off in MX gear the rest of the riding season.