2018 KTM 500 Airbox Debris Question

Just a quick question. I noticed when I takeoff  my air filter sometimes there can be a few specks of debris or dried mud or something.  It seems to be right in the airbox drain hole area (that’s what I assume that hole is).  

Is this ok?  Should I plug that drain hole up?  

ive attached a stock airbox photo and circled the area where I see the debris.

A35B216C-F780-4C0C-ACA0-87834B33B96B.jpeg

I don't have a 2018, but isn't that where the crankcase breathe hose attaches too?  If so, I would be concerned that there's mud in there.  Might just be some oily residue that's getting by, and then mixing with condensation in the filter housing???  My guess / thoughts...

2 hours ago, cadman_ks said:

I don't have a 2018, but isn't that where the crankcase breathe hose attaches too?  If so, I would be concerned that there's mud in there.  Might just be some oily residue that's getting by, and then mixing with condensation in the filter housing???  My guess / thoughts...

Yes crank breather hole.

Look to the bottom of the airbox and locate the drain hole facing the rear tire. I stuffed my drain hole with gutter gauze to keep out the dirt and let it drain. The wheel kicks a lot of dirt on to the filter without it. 

1 hour ago, Burnrider said:

Yes crank breather hole.

Look to the bottom of the airbox and locate the drain hole facing the rear tire. I stuffed my drain hole with gutter gauze to keep out the dirt and let it drain. The wheel kicks a lot of dirt on to the filter without it. 

Wtf is the point of having a hole which allows debris in and out?  

So plug it?  And just be extra aware of deep water crossing?

3 hours ago, cadman_ks said:

Gutter gauze keeps out the wheel dirt, but water can flow out of the box for a stream crossing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Burnrider said:

Gutter gauze keeps out the wheel dirt, but water can flow out of the box for a stream crossing.

Ok thanks.  Will do immediately.

would jb weld or silicone hardening glue be ok?

Edited by NewEngland400

There seems to be some confusion in the thread, 2 different holes are being talked about and only one is pictured.

The only way to block off the hole in the airboot, is with a valve plug, and then the Hose has to be vented to air. The air from the valve cover either has to be recycled through the airboot, or vented to air.

The air box drain hole , is where the screen is being talked about , so that water drains, yet cuts down on the intake of dirt. If you notice the bottom of the filter tends to get dirties the quickest, air is actually sucked through the drain hole. I have mine open for maximum intake and drainage, but it does get the filter dirtier, cause its sucking in dirty air, cause its down there where all the action of dirt debri is happening.

3 hours ago, Spud786 said:

There seems to be some confusion in the thread, 2 different holes are being talked about and only one is pictured.

The only way to block off the hole in the airboot, is with a valve plug, and then the Hose has to be vented to air. The air from the valve cover either has to be recycled through the airboot, or vented to air.

The air box drain hole , is where the screen is being talked about , so that water drains, yet cuts down on the intake of dirt. If you notice the bottom of the filter tends to get dirties the quickest, air is actually sucked through the drain hole. I have mine open for maximum intake and drainage, but it does get the filter dirtier, cause its sucking in dirty air, cause its down there where all the action of dirt debri is happening.

So. The hole on the picture above.  Does it have a tube connected to it from underneath?  Can I unplug the tube?  And plug the hole?

4 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

So. The hole on the picture above.  Does it have a tube connected to it from underneath?  Can I unplug the tube?  And plug the hole?

That's your engine breather tube. Leave it in place and make sure it;s connected at both ends.

47 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

Yes you can do that, and plug the outside air boot nipple with an automotive plug cap(securely).   At that point you'll need a better hose than the pretzel shape of the original, which will just be hanging there.  But you can run it that way temporarily, just to see if you like being vented to AIR.

A more permanent fix is to run a hose, below the frame.

7 hours ago, NewEngland400 said:

Wtf is the point of having a hole which allows debris in and out?  

So plug it?  And just be extra aware of deep water crossing?

The way its set up, is to recycle all the waste byproducts your engine creates, and run it back through the engine, throttle body, intake valves ect. Its an emissions thing.   Like an egr valve set up on a car, which runs its waste back through the intake manifold, or pcv valve out of the valve cover.

The only difference is on a car that system is monitored

Edited by Spud786

2 hours ago, Burnrider said:

That's your engine breather tube. Leave it in place and make sure it;s connected at both ends.

Leave it in place or disconnect and plug it up?  I’m getting contradicting info here.  But, I would like my airbox to stop having sediment inside the air filter occasionally.  

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Yes you can do that, and plug the outside air boot nipple with an automotive plug cap(securely).   At that point you'll need a better hose than the pretzel shape of the original, which will just be hanging there.  But you can run it that way temporarily, just to see if you like being vented to AIR.

A more permanent fix is to run a hose, below the frame.

Is there a reason I wouldn’t like being vented to air?  It seems I could save my airbox from having sediment inside of it?  

Is there any drawback to this mod?

1 hour ago, Spud786 said:

The way its set up, is to recycle all the waste byproducts your engine creates, and run it back through the engine, throttle body, intake valves ect. Its an emissions thing.   Like an egr valve set up on a car, which runs its waste back through the intake manifold, or pcv valve out of the valve cover.

The only difference is on a car that system is monitored

Ok thanks for putting it into perspective.

4 hours ago, NewEngland400 said:

Leave it in place or disconnect and plug it up?  I’m getting contradicting info here.  But, I would like my airbox to stop having sediment inside the air filter occasionally.  

Is there a reason I wouldn’t like being vented to air?  It seems I could save my airbox from having sediment inside of it?  

Is there any drawback to this mod?

On the ktm 500, Ive been vented to air for over 50,000 miles.  But yeah you'll no longer vent engine waste back though your intake, for me there's been no drawback, only benefit. Especially when getting  really hot weather, a vented to air bike, has much cooler intake air.   opposite goes for extreme cold air , where recycled air might aide during initial warm up.

Is it a must do , no

But if you ever blow a ring or piston, you wont blow oil all back though the intake system of your motor, and yeah your air boot will stay clean. and You'll be able to instantly tell if something is wrong with the motor vented to air, oil retention wise.

The majority out there, are in the stock recycle configuration, and why you get mixed info, I have bikes and or had bikes, where I ran the stock recycling system, just haven't on the KTM.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

On the ktm 500, Ive been vented to air for over 50,000 miles.  But yeah you'll no longer vent engine waste back though your intake, for me there's been no drawback, only benefit. Especially when getting  really hot weather, a vented to air bike, has much cooler intake air.   opposite goes for extreme cold air , where recycled air might aide during initial warm up.

Is it a must do , no

But if you ever blow a ring or piston, you wont blow oil all back though the intake system of your motor, and yeah your air boot will stay clean. and You'll be able to instantly tell if something is wrong with the motor vented to air, oil retention wise.

The majority out there, are in the stock recycle configuration, and why you get mixed info, I have bikes and or had bikes, where I ran the stock recycling system, just haven't on the KTM.

I guess I’m still wondering why (besides the environment) one wouldn’t always want any type of waste to go outside their bike rather than back inside (into the airbox). 

Is the only one that vent tube helping Mother Earth?  If so, I’ll plan on my timely maintenance skills to improve the quality of what my thumper spews out in order to do my part. 

Did they design that vent hole so that crud settles around the hole area and doesn’t get sucked back into the engine?  Or is this incorrect?  It seems exactly the opposite of what we are aiming for... clean air going to our motor.

Edited by NewEngland400

Motor condensation, and any oil that makes it into the hose, will pool in that area airboot, and there's fairly strong flow out of the hose as the motor runs(most times),  so if the engine is not very sound, it will carry alot of contaminants in addition, and why you see some with really nasty internal airboots, not just a alittle pool of sludge, but crap  getting blown all over the airboot.

That situation they are doing the environment a favor keeping it internally.   Not all keep their motors in sound condition.

Meaning, there's relatively clean blow out venting and nasty blow out venting if the bike has issues.

A tiny pool of clean oil in a recycled air boot, is normal, but if you ride the bike in really cold weather and put away in a warm garage, expect condensation to drip out of the motor and land in that tiny pool of oil if there(also) would be normal for recycled condition. But in a vented to air condition, that clean water 2 or 3 condensation drops  , will just hit the ground.

Edited by Spud786

All right here is an actual photo of my airbox and the crud I see. This is after a long dusty ride.

9C7E1B2C-C437-435E-B2D6-F9D30F4E3142.jpeg

ditch the tree hugger air filter oil, and a prefilter.

how do i know its tree hugger oil, cause the stuff is very limited

No Toil residue if oil is applied to the damp filter. It gets pull inside and dries on plastic??  Don't use it, just guessing.

4 hours ago, Spud786 said:

ditch the tree hugger air filter oil, and a prefilter.

how do i know its tree hugger oil, cause the stuff is very limited

51 minutes ago, Burnrider said:

No Toil residue if oil is applied to the damp filter. It gets pull inside and dries on plastic??  Don't use it, just guessing.

It’s not no toil.  I was using the twin air brand filter oil “bio power”.  Is that the same as no toil?  I don’t believe it’s considered as controversial.

anyways. This season I’ve been using the Maxima disposable air filters. They’re  pre-oiled with Maxima oil. I believe it’s just traditional maxima foam filter oil.

I’ve seen the debris next to the weeper hole since I bought the bike.  I’m thinking I just need to plug up the hole from the outside. Can someone please tell me if that is the correct thing to do?

plug up the hole from underneath the bike so mud can’t splash up in?  But leave the vent hose in place.?

The hard sediment bits (looks like sand) is not from the motor , either its  dropping in from removing the filter, or its working its way through the filter.

Its pretty normal for some sediment  possibly drop in removing a dirty filter, but all Bio filters oils I consider the same, they break down naturally with time , even plain water breaks them down, but that's why people luv it.

The real non Bio filter oils are very tacky, resistant to water by a substantial degree, and the Best for strongest filtering.

The Maxima disposable filter is supposed to be non degradable filter oil, but some say its super thin coating sometimes, But Run a prefilter, if you want an additional layer of filtering.

I like some type of prefilter, just cause the filters stay a lot cleaner, making them easier to clean , not being full of grass seed , stems and leave, rocks , gravel ect.

You are looking  for two different things going on, and they aren't from the same source.