YZ250 Maxima super m vs klotz

What do you think is better in my YZ250? I usually run maxima super m at 32:1 but I am trying out klotz super techniplate at 40:1 since it has more castor. I ride trials mostly.

22 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

they're functionally the same.  (I use them both in the winter @32:1) ...and then use Maxima 927 in the warmer months which I feel is the best.

Let me ask, does the 927 really do a number on the powervalve?  I know it is a great oil no debate there, but is it worth it to be gumming up the PV?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan Hiker said:

Let me ask, does the 927 really do a number on the powervalve?  I know it is a great oil no debate there, but is it worth it to be gumming up the PV?

927 is only for racing. If your motor isn't hot enough, it won’t burn it off and clog your power valve.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, yz_mik3 said:

klotz super techniplate

Have you run it yet? Typically something like this oil with a high flash point will spooge like mad.

If not racing, stick to the Super M or just some Yamalube 2R at 32/1. Bel Ray SL 2 also a great oil for this at very low cost at Rocky.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 11:31 AM, Alaskan Hiker said:

I ride Moto ...I'm not that fast,  but I've never experienced any oils (and certainly not 927) gumming up my power valve, and I've been using 927 for at least 30 years. I think that's an old wives tale.  

Edited by ss-racing
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Use whatever you can get the best deal on!  

On 5/21/2020 at 11:31 AM, Alaskan Hiker said:

No not if you're on the gas . This is a 16 yz125 i just rebuilt before my accident.  Clean as a whistle 927 32:1

20200430_130323.jpg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I've used Super M  for years and Klotz going back into the 70's.

Super M is formulated by Ron Lechein, a hero to all degenerate dirt bike riders and Klotz smells really good.

Other than that I got nothing for you.

• Haha 1

I've too have run 927 for about 30 years, its a great oil if your bike is jetted decent and your not a beginner rider or a slow rider who likes to excessively lug the bike, ive had zero issues including gummed up power valves and i get great life out of cranks/top ends so i don't plan on switching.

I believe some of the more modern oils with lower flash points are more tolerant to overly rich jetting or slower riders who rarely get on the pipe.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

13 hours ago, beezer said:

I've used Super M  for years and Klotz going back into the 70's.

Super M is formulated by Ron Lechein, a hero to all degenerate dirt bike riders and Klotz smells really good.

Other than that I got nothing for you.

I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure Ron's dad, Dick, the founder of the company, formulated most, if not all the oils they sell today

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

4 hours ago, ss-racing said:

I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure Ron's dad, Dick, the founder of the company, formulated most, if not all the oils they sell today

No he's working for Shell Oil now.

He's the brains behind Rotella.

Adding CBD to it was genius !

5 hours ago, beezer said:

No he's working for Shell Oil now.

He's the brains behind Rotella.

Adding CBD to it was genius !

So you're trying to tell us that back in the late 60s, Dick Lechein developed Shell Rotella ? ...and added CBD oil to it for the win ?

🤥

Despite what anyone else tells you, Klotz techniplate is not a great oil to run in your dirt bike.  They have other oils that will burn cleaner for dirt bike use (and are designed for dirt bike use) - check out their website.  Klotz is a great oil to use in engines that get pumped at very high rpm for long periods (not on/off like we do on our dirt bikes) - think karts etc. 

Super M is a much better choice between those two, hands down. 

927 is great for racing as it has lubrication that is second to none.  It has an additive package to prevent gumming etc. (it is NOT like castor oils from 20-30 years ago), but being a bean oil at its core, it wont be perfect. It's a balance. Racers tear down engines and do maintenance much more frequently than weekend warriors.  Additionally, 927 is much more sensitive to jetting.  Super M is much more forgiving - so if your jetting is a bit off (like most weekend warriors), you're going to experience less carbon build up, spooge etc.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, yz_mik3 said:

Should I mix Super M at 32:1 or 40:1?

32 👍🏽👍🏽 my vote . Superm is good stuff i use to use it when racing 125s then switched to 927. Never had any problems with superm its great oil

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, yz_mik3 said:

Mix at whatever your manual specifies (which I think is 32:1 from memory?).  I run 30:1 per the manual in my YZ125.  In saying that, given you ride trails mostly (as opposed to MX/desert), I can't see any issue with running 40:1 either. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, yz_mik3 said:

40:1 bad idea for a 125. 32:1 always. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

32:1 always

or at least as a safe 'bare minimum' starting point,

I went to 30:1 last season and, plan on trying 25:1 this season

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1