Transmission fluid on foam filter

Please forgive me in advance for asking what may sound like a stupid question. I just bought a 1989 Honda CR125 and I am trying to learn as much as I can with regards to maintenance and I'm now doing a filter clean.

However because of the Corona virus and my lack of knowledge that there's special oils for foam filters,  I just really want to ride my bike tomorrow. Sadly I realized  I need a special oil after I've just clean the filter but I don't have the proper oil.

I read on different forums that people used motor oil or transmission fluid, can that be used as long as I don't over oil it? If I have to, I guess I'll wait till next week in order to ride my bike but being that I just got it in I'm itching to ride it asap.

So what I really want to know is there any oil or fluid I can use in order for me to ride it immediately until I can order the right oil? Many posts  I have read speak of people using transmission fluid or motor oil like 10W40. I get that it's not sticky like the foam filter oil should be but in a pinch could I use transmission fluid or motor oil and if so which is the better to use? And is there any potential damage by using trans fluid or motor oil instead of the foam filter oil that I'm supposed to use and will use eventually.  I guess what I'm trying to find out is can I use trans fluid as an example to get me by for the next 4 or 5 days as I'm waiting for the proper oil to show up?

Apart maybe from really thick gear/axle lubricant, in a pinch any oil is better than a dry filter!

Chain saw bar oil as suggested by indy rider would likely be the closest equivalent to foam air filter oil.

Not so long ago before specialized products were commonly available,

10W-40 engine oil was recommended in most dirt bike owner's manuals, some TTR's still do (manual never updated)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gina Salinias said:

Please forgive me in advance for asking what may sound like a stupid question. I just bought a 1989 Honda CR125 and I am trying to learn as much as I can with regards to maintenance and I'm now doing a filter clean.

However because of the Corona virus and my lack of knowledge that there's special oils for foam filters,  I just really want to ride my bike tomorrow. Sadly I realized  I need a special oil after I've just clean the filter but I don't have the proper oil.

I read on different forums that people used motor oil or transmission fluid, can that be used as long as I don't over oil it? If I have to, I guess I'll wait till next week in order to ride my bike but being that I just got it in I'm itching to ride it asap.

So what I really want to know is there any oil or fluid I can use in order for me to ride it immediately until I can order the right oil? Many posts  I have read speak of people using transmission fluid or motor oil like 10W40. I get that it's not sticky like the foam filter oil should be but in a pinch could I use transmission fluid or motor oil and if so which is the better to use? And is there any potential damage by using trans fluid or motor oil instead of the foam filter oil that I'm supposed to use and will use eventually.  I guess what I'm trying to find out is can I use trans fluid as an example to get me by for the next 4 or 5 days as I'm waiting for the proper oil to show up?

Foamy air filters 101. Foam air filters are great for off road vehicles, because it allows them to breath better than paper elements. Foam air filters need a substrate or a sticky medium to allow air to pass, but like bee honey, it needs to catch fine particles of dust and dirt granuels. With out the correct foamy filter oil, it may fail, trashing out your expensive top end, so lets see...$8 dollars for a can of twin air foamy filter oil, or $200+ clams for a top end, and the task of rebuilding it and cleaning the dirt out of your intake tract? Hmmmm...

donharron2015.jpg

Yep, we all used engine oil for the filter, and axle grease for the sealing base. Turns out it worked very well, as the only dirty air that got passed the element was from a tear, or misalignment. (Or, a rat moved in there and ate some/most of it.) But, that's another story...

OP~ I don't see a problem with using engine oil on your element. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

I'd venture to say more top ends are prematurely worn / ruined from improperly oiling / installing the filter element rather than the type of oil used on it.

A quick and convenient 10 second blast of spray-on filter oil simply doesn't equal taking 15 minutes to thoroughly knead any oil (in 'liquid' form) into the foam.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 5

Years back someone gave me some penzoil racing 50 wt.  Sticky stuff that left streamers. I always thought it would make good filter oil.  

It is going to depend a lot on what kind of riding you are going g to be doing and how dusty it will be. Try not to gollow anyone.

• Like 1

Chainsaw bar chain oil or heavy wt gear oil should be fine in a pinch. Good chance a normal auto parts store would have foam oil filer oil too. I would try to get the right stuff before using something different. 

Trans fluid is not tackey enough, normal engine oil would be better then trans oil. 

Filter oils have special properties that others don't. The tackiness is very very important. Other oils will drain away and are not very waterproof. In hot climates the proper oil will stay on the filter and not migrate to the floor under your bike. Use the right tool for the job. Period!

• Helpful 1

I don't have the owner's manual for an '89, but my '87 CR125 owners manual calls for 2-stroke oil on the air filter.

53 minutes ago, York_45 said:

I don't have the owner's manual for an '89, but my '87 CR125 owners manual calls for 2-stroke oil on the air filter.

Wow that is really good to know.  I'm putting it back together now and glad I checked onw last time because this is exactly what I will use then to get me by till my oil shows up. Thanks for this.

2stk oil may be good for a single day use at an mx event. To use it for longer rides and multiple days between cleanings is not a good idea. It has no tackiness and will not "cling" to the filter. Bad choice for the typical rider.

• Helpful 2