I am getting an 1987 xr 250 would it make a good competitive enduro bike?

The bike im getting has had the cylinder bored out to just the next Piston size it looks like it has suspension and wheels from a newer bike not sure what year I can't add public images as the bike is not yet mine but it's coming in pieces that I have to reassemble and I'm just curious if it would make a good competitive enduro bike or is it to old or yeah 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel Pitt said:

The bike im getting has had the cylinder bored out to just the next Piston size it looks like it has suspension and wheels from a newer bike not sure what year I can't add public images as the bike is not yet mine but it's coming in pieces that I have to reassemble and I'm just curious if it would make a good competitive enduro bike or is it to old or yeah 

It’s old. .. but so what. Ride it and race it. Have fun..

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

They weren't that competitive in 1987. But they are a lot of fun, so why not have a go anyway.

Agreed. 15 years ago my re entry bike after a 20 plus year layoff was a 97 XR 250, loved that bike until I realized I didn't know how miserable I was..

• Like 2

Lots of easy mods to make it better. The slower the going the better you will like it when you are trying to keep up with someone else. The snottier the surface and the shorter the distance between turns and obstacles, the better you will like it. The 41 mm forks have to go for any kind of spirited riding.

• Like 1

Great to learn on. Considering they were considered tanks and not performance bikes even at their own time. Imagine what about 35 years of tech development would say about them being competitive. That being said my wife rides a drz 250 and loves it minus the weight, it has been a great starter bike.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel Pitt said:

Behold, my 1982 XR500R...its a great desert bike despite it's age. However, you are up against a huge challenge in having to build the bike from scratch...and the older bikes don't handle/brake like the newer ones, so pace yourself and be careful...but most of all, have fun...😀

20200425_122709.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, El Extremo said:

Behold, my 1982 XR500R...its a great desert bike despite it's age. However, you are up against a huge challenge in having to build the bike from scratch...and the older bikes don't handle/brake like the newer ones, so pace yourself and be careful...but most of all, have fun...😀

20200425_122709.jpg

I found a riding mate teaching his son to ride for the first time, half way up the side of a hill, and on an 82 XR500. Kid was 15 at the time. Picked it up real quick. He's a gunn now. No jump is big enough.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I found a riding mate teaching his son to ride for the first time, half way up the side of a hill, and on an 82 XR500. Kid was 15 at the time. Picked it up real quick. He's a gunn now. No jump is big enough.

Like learning how to make fire with wet green wood. If you can get that sucker to light off, everything else is easy. :devil:

Edited by 00boob
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, 00boob said:

Like learning how to make fire with wet green wood. If you can get that sucker to light off, everything else is easy. :devil:

I saw them that day. About a month later, went to a ride, they were there, the kid was on a 2T WR250, he was quick. Ride after that, a YZ426F, I couldn't keep up with him after he got that, but, he was mad. I don't have a deaf wish.
We ended up racing together for a couple of yr to share expenses. Kid was much quicker than I was, beat me by a 1/4 a lap every heat on a club day, but couldn't beat me in a regional :D. Race craft. There's no substitute for experience.
Another mate that raced with us, was A-grade, and had been racing his entire like. The young bloke could beat him at club days as well, then would let him know all about it after racing. That caused a lot of friction ☠️

He stopped trail riding, only Interested in jumping now. He has a 2019 FE450, he bought in 2018, with 6 hours on it. He has a Honda CBR1000 track bike and spends most of his free time at the Phillip Island moto GP track.

Learning the hard way might have helped. But, you'll never meet anyone with as much confidence as he has. I think that and luck are his main assets. 

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SS109 said:

It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with bikes. Considering that, and the fact the bike has to be "reassembled", I strongly suggest getting a bike that's already together and running and go have fun.

I already have a bike I'm getting this 1 because it's cheap and I want to learn

• Like 2

19 hours ago, highmarker said:

Have a 85 xr350r, if I didn't already have it I wouldn't go looking for an old XR. Parts are getting hard to find, engine parts mainly.

I don't like XR's tbh. But, I did like my 85 350, especially after coming off an 84 250. The 250 was bored out to a 310. I only used them for commuting. No off road work.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 10:55 PM, Daniel Pitt said:

With todays enduro scoots it would loose. But if you are doing trail riding, go for it. Personally I dig 2 strokes for anything, so a kdx-200/220 would work for competition. These new muthas would smoke you on lap times in da woods, bruh.big-kawasaki-kmx-200-1989-200116.jpg.b24f8c8c89bf43518ad5c5568cd2b225.jpg

• Like 1

Personally I would prefer 2 strokes aswell it's just I'm not that great with mixing stuff together and with my understanding you have to give it a top end rebuild every 30 hours witch ik is longer than it sounds but I would rather have a bike that once it's built it's built I don't have to take it apart for years as long as I keep up maintenance and don't ride it too hard 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

I don't like XR's tbh. But, I did like my 85 350, especially after coming off an 84 250. The 250 was bored out to a 310. I only used them for commuting. No off road work.

I raced Bultaco's all through the 80's and love 2 strokes above all else. I do like my 82 XR500R,  and i use it for all kinds of riding, from desert to trails.

The power from the super-secret Al Baker 530cc mill is pretty potent, although it doesn't hit like a two stroke, its respectable.

But, its a big, heavy bike and i kinda miss the more nimble feel of the lighter bikes and the explosive acceleration curve of a two stroke...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel Pitt said:

Personally I would prefer 2 strokes aswell it's just I'm not that great with mixing stuff together and with my understanding you have to give it a top end rebuild every 30 hours witch ik is longer than it sounds but I would rather have a bike that once it's built it's built I don't have to take it apart for years as long as I keep up maintenance and don't ride it too hard 

Tell you something....i know a guy who is using a thermal barrier coating on his piston crown and skirt in an old air cooled two stroke RM and he's had the same piston in it for years now...

Here's who he is using.

https://swaintech.com/race-coatings/motorcycle-coatings/motorcycle-coatings-price-sheet/

I built a 750cc two stroke twin Jet Ski for him back in 2012 and we coated the skirts, crowns and combustion chambers in it because he had so much success using those coatings in air cooled dirt bikes.

I cannot recall the piston sizes, but we had it bored by a guy in Riverside who had a full machine shop in his garage. We punched it out as far as we could go.

The Jet Ski is still running, is used every summer and has never been apart since i buttoned it up in 2012.

Before that, it was getting a top end rebuild at the beginning of every summer and it looked like holy hell inside.

We have only ever used Lucas Synthetic Two Stroke 'Smokeless' Oil in it at between 27:1 and 32:1, although i don't know if the oil is helping it or not, that's what we used...FWIW

Edited by El Extremo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, El Extremo said:

I raced Bultaco's all through the 80's and love 2 strokes above all else. I do like my 82 XR500R,  and i use it for all kinds of riding, from desert to trails.

The power from the super-secret Al Baker 530cc mill is pretty potent, although it doesn't hit like a two stroke, its respectable.

But, its a big, heavy bike and i kinda miss the more nimble feel of the lighter bikes and the explosive acceleration curve of a two stroke...

I ride 125's :D

My mates first race bike was a Bultaco. He restored it, looks brand new. Can't remember the model, but, it has chrome guards.

• Like 1