I just picked up a yz250, my first dirt bike in about 4 years, by no means good at dirt but ive been stunt riding sportbikes for that 4 years.

I am 6'6 and 220 lbs. I havnt had much of a chance to really test the bike out as ive still got a cast on my wrist from the sportbikes, but i can already tell i wont be fitting on this bike.

Ive ordered a set of windham bars, but i dont know if ill go with rox pivotting risers to bring them more foward and up. Back when i last rode dirt i was using 3 inch pivot risers and cr high bars and it was comfortable on my 2008 crf250r. I am also considering getting a large built up seat as ive heard that this will seriously help. I will also be purchasing the proper springs for my weight as soon as my supplier stocks them.

I am unable to find options for lowered footpegs for this year of the yamahas, does anyone know of anything that will work? Or just any other setup peices i should be buying for this bike

IMG_20200513_171548_012.jpg

• Like 1

Flo or Fastway for the lowered pegs. Fastway might be better for you because they also go back.

• Like 3

6'-5" here.  I only use 08+ YZ450 pegs (wider and lower)  and rg3 fwd 5mm up 15mm mounts with windham or rc high bars.  Don't like tall seats and don't need ridiculous high bars.  I might look like a gorilla on an 80, but they stop laughing after they get passed.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

9 hours ago, bg10459 said:

6'-5" here.  I only use 08+ YZ450 pegs (wider and lower)  and rg3 fwd 5mm up 15mm mounts with windham or rc high bars.  Don't like tall seats and don't need ridiculous high bars.  I might look like a gorilla on an 80, but they stop laughing after they get passed.

Thanks brotha, its not super awkward standing for you like this? Just doesnt seem like nearly enough

12 hours ago, Clutch44 said:

Flo or Fastway for the lowered pegs. Fastway might be better for you because they also go back.

I havnt checked the flo ones, but fastway says they wont work in the low position on these bikes have you tried it?

1 hour ago, AlexOstendorp said:

Thanks brotha, its not super awkward standing for you like this? Just doesnt seem like nearly enough

I havnt checked the flo ones, but fastway says they wont work in the low position on these bikes have you tried it?

No I haven't personally done it but others have. You just have to grind some off the stop so it can clear the peg mounting bolt.

I run the RC High Fatbars. I think there higher than just about anything. Plus I run higher and farther forward perches on Applied top clamps. Also due your height and the increased leverage you'll likely want to go up one step on the rear spring over the standard weight load recommendation.

• Helpful 1

FLO Pegs are nice. They come in black, normal height, or lower & back. It's noticeable. I have them on all my bikes. 

They make some nice stuff!

• Helpful 1

42 minutes ago, pilot jet 34 said:

FLO Pegs are nice. They come in black, normal height, or lower & back. It's noticeable. I have them on all my bikes. 

They make some nice stuff!

They must have changed them. They used to be black and went down and not back and now when I looked they are silver and go down and back. I wonder why they changed them?

3 hours ago, mrdsee said:

I run the RC High Fatbars. I think there higher than just about anything. Plus I run higher and farther forward perches on Applied top clamps. Also due your height and the increased leverage you'll likely want to go up one step on the rear spring over the standard weight load recommendation.

Could you explain that last part? Havnt dont any susp tuning ever really

2 minutes ago, AlexOstendorp said:

Could you explain that last part? Havnt dont any susp tuning ever really

Some spring rate calculators ask if your over 6 feet but others do not. When your taller you can leverage more weight farther back. I also use Hammerhead shift levers to fit my size 13 boots.

• Helpful 1

38 minutes ago, Big Pollock said:

you may want to look at Spurz as well.  I have them on a KTM 300 and I'm 6-4 240. They make a lot of room for my size 14 boot.  I believe they will fit the YZ

https://xcgear.com/spurz/

I wear size 15s and have had this issue before, probably just going to get the +20mm hammerhead shifter for remedy 

10 minutes ago, mrdsee said:

Some spring rate calculators ask if your over 6 feet but others do not. When your taller you can leverage more weight farther back. I also use Hammerhead shift levers to fit my size 13 boots.

Ah that makes sense, im using racetechs calc and that was a box i checked. Im hoping its good though because theres only 1 rate higher than the one i need. +20mm (or +15 cant remember) Hammerhead shifter is on the list. Sadly my parts sponsor is pretty much out of stock on everything at the moment so its just staying on the list

45 minutes ago, AlexOstendorp said:

Ah that makes sense, im using racetechs calc and that was a box i checked. Im hoping its good though because theres only 1 rate higher than the one i need. +20mm (or +15 cant remember) Hammerhead shifter is on the list. Sadly my parts sponsor is pretty much out of stock on everything at the moment so its just staying on the list

If one is real heavy and needs something like Ford light truck springs companies like Factory Connection will custom wind what you need. You can also call them and see what rate they recommend.

Edited by mrdsee
  • Like 1

STR fabricate lowered footpeg brackets: https://www.systemtechracing.com/product_p/55-04.htm

I'm 5'9" and have a set on my YZ125, a modest 10mm drop but it opens up the riding position and slightly lowers the center of gravity when riding standing.

IMO more advantageous as you can then install any footpeg of your preference on them versus the limited choices/styles of lowered pegs.

Edited by mlatour

BTW, nice bike, have had many YZ's over many decades. Stick to Yamalube 2R @30-1 and make sure to run enough octane. I like to add just a splash of VP110 or C12 for a little detonation insurance on stock YZ's just in case you end up with a sub par batch of pump gas.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mrdsee said:

BTW, nice bike, have had many YZ's over many decades. Stick to Yamalube 2R @30-1 and make sure to run enough octane. I like to add just a splash of VP110 or C12 for a little detonation insurance on stock YZ's just in case you end up with a sub par batch of pump gas.

Thanks man, i just ran amsoil last weekend and was quite impressed with almost no smoke, meant to grab yamalube but everywheres outta stock right now, hawaii doesnt have tons of options.  Its my first 2t so ive got a bit to learn. It ran great so far but i was also just limping around the place with my crippled self.

43 minutes ago, mlatour said:

STR fabricate lowered footpeg brackets: https://www.systemtechracing.com/product_p/55-04.htm

I'm 5'9" and have a set on my YZ125, a modest 10mm drop but it opens up the riding position and slightly lowers the center of gravity when riding standing.

IMO more advantageous as you can then install any footpeg of your preference on them versus the limited choices/styles of lowered pegs.

Someone else linked them as well, im definitely considering it in junction with the fastway footpegs as low and back as they go. With how tall i am i think thatd be a good option

Edited by AlexOstendorp