Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2012 wr450 yesterday with only 2000km on the clock, got it home and noticed a few drops of oil just below the bike.  Felt sticky so figured it was air filter oil, and opening up the air filter cover confirmed that - the filter was absolutely soaked, and there was a pool of oil in the bottom of the air box about half an inch deep.

Apart from restricting air flow to the bike, is there any damage this could have done? I'm guessing this was how the previous owner always did it so it probably lived its entire life being over oiled.

Also, if this is any indication of how much the previous owner knew about bike maintenance I'm already worried - he did his own valve checks and oil changes so I'll be checking those before I ride it for sure, but is there anything else should look at? If the engine managed to suck any air filter oil in, would it just burn up? It's pretty sticky stuff so I'm a little bit worried it may have gummed things up in there.

Any advice would be appreciated heaps

Cheers

It shouldn't have hurt anything. Take a look at the spark plug and you can probably get a good idea of whether it was getting oil all the way to the combustion chamber.

I have seen some air jets get plugged up with it, but no real damage.

It did that because it’s “no toil” filter “oil”. It’s junk that is easy to clean but falls off your filter from the moment you put it on. Here is my take on engine damage, if they used notoil then chances are it sucked dirt. The actual fluid you speak of will not do any engine damage, but it’s not a good oil. Use maxima or my favorite bel ray, also despite what they say, grease the filter seat with a good waterproof grease like bel ray. Sure, it’s a bit messier, but the results are perfection. Airboxes still flex a bit during rides and the grease keeps everything sealed during those moments. 
short answer: it won’t and didn’t hurt your engine but notoil is not for sand or dry hard pack, only perfect black dirt watered perfectly so the air filter doesn’t have to filter

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

It did that because it’s “no toil” filter “oil”. It’s junk that is easy to clean but falls off your filter from the moment you put it on. Here is my take on engine damage, if they used notoil then chances are it sucked dirt. The actual fluid you speak of will not do any engine damage, but it’s not a good oil. Use maxima or my favorite bel ray, also despite what they say, grease the filter seat with a good waterproof grease like bel ray. Sure, it’s a bit messier, but the results are perfection. Airboxes still flex a bit during rides and the grease keeps everything sealed during those moments. 
short answer: it won’t and didn’t hurt your engine but notoil is not for sand or dry hard pack, only perfect black dirt watered perfectly so the air filter doesn’t have to filter

Sorry, but I have to call b.s.  I have a 2012 ktm 150xc and have been using No Toil filters, oils, and powdered cleaner since day one. Still on original cylinder and bottom end from riding in Florida sand. Using oil other than No Toil, improper cleaning, or cleaning with solvents or gasoline are what contributes to most No Toil filtering failures IMO.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

17 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Sorry, but I have to call b.s.  I have a 2012 ktm 150xc and have been using No Toil filters, oils, and powdered cleaner since day one. Still on original cylinder and bottom end from riding in Florida sand. Using oil other than No Toil, improper cleaning, or cleaning with solvents or gasoline are what contributes to most No Toil filtering failures IMO.

Agreed. I'm using No Toil riding in Florida sugar sand. The intake tract behind the filter is always clean. I use their green filter oil, make sure to fully work it into the filter and let the filter sit for at least 24 hours before reinstalling it. 

As you know, extra filter oil will drip off. But, that's ok. It's extra (excess). It doesn't mean that enough isn't left on the filter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

Pure horse crap. 

No Toil works just fine. Sure, it won’t last six months like petroleum based filter oils but it works just as well with regular filter changes and cleanings. 

• Helpful 1

I have always ran twin air everything, filters and oil, I love their oil.  Nice and thin when putting it on but sets up so nicely.  Never ever did I have any problems with it.  I used the bel ray stuff but god was that shit thick yuck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan Hiker said:

I have always ran twin air everything, filters and oil, I love their oil.  Nice and thin when putting it on but sets up so nicely.  Never ever did I have any problems with it.  I used the bel ray stuff but god was that shit thick yuck. 

Me too on Twin Air. But, the first time I cleaned a No Toil w/ their powder in the bathroom sink, I was sold. The No Toil filter oil turns to soap, the filter is easily cleaned and ready to dry to be oiled again. Not dealing with solvents and their disposal is a real joy.

• Like 4

Just my opinion. Use whatever you want, it doesn’t concern me. It drips off. That should sort of be a case closed in my book but to each their own. 84 hours on a stock piston. Could barely fit a b size. As I said, to each their own, just trying to help.

4316D66A-6CCD-4E53-B874-0C618965E94D.jpeg

92B606D2-F3FA-48CD-A0AE-DD009A709305.jpeg

9D9659CC-78E2-4B4B-8001-7549C2B852F8.jpeg

Yes, excess will drip off. The air filter foam only holds so much product and at some point, more oil isn't better. As long as the product is worked fully into the foam, you're good. I let mine sit overnight after oiling and they are very tacky.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, B Squared said:

Yes, excess will drip off. The air filter foam only holds so much product and at some point, more oil isn't better. As long as the product is worked fully into the foam, you're good. I let mine sit overnight after oiling and they are very tacky.

I’m glad for you. We used my old 2016 YZ450F and tried the green no- toil and it made a mess, pooled up on throttle body and still let dirt in. Went 150hrs on stock top end with no dirt using bel ray. Like I said, to each their own. Water itself will wash the notoil away.... not like bikes get wet so what’s to worry

• Helpful 1

The belray definitely likes to be worked warm. Oxiclean does a good job of cleaning it up in a washing machine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ossagp1 said:

The belray definitely likes to be worked warm. Oxiclean does a good job of cleaning it up in a washing machine. 

Use kerosene to soak in, wring it out and clean with dawn dish soap, poor water on plants and burn kerosene once a year. No-toil did not save time either. Some people don’t like having a gallon of kerosene sitting in a bucket you can reuse for an entire year, some just want to spray it with water. I know belray has worked for a few decades for me so I’ll stick with it. If someone using no-toil posts a topic about oil in their air box I will tell them it’s their air filter oil.... which it is. This topic was about that, I told him what it was and why. Not my product and isn’t my problem, I know how to make the problem disappear and I told him how. 

• Like 1

I hope you aren't confused into thinking I had a problem with any of your opinions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Hiker said:

Funnel-web?  Good or not

Never tried but seams legit. Not sure it’s gonna be better then a normal one.

21 minutes ago, ossagp1 said:

I hope you aren't confused into thinking I had a problem with any of your opinions.

I’m sorry. I feel most hate honest answers in 2020. I have seen notoil fall off every filter it’s been on despite amount used great and small, it’s the only cause of oil in an air box in 2020

• Like 2