miniRider1

DRZ400 stock exhaust tip questions

Hey all.

When I bought my DRZ it came with a second / alternative muffler tip (see pics 1, 2, 3). It has a larger diameter pipe than the muffler tip currently installed on the bike (see pic 4). 

Im wondering whats the difference between them? Is one meant to be quieter? Looking at pics online it seems most people run with the wider diameter muffler tip.

Tomorrow Im planning to change them over to see for myself, but thought Id post to ask anyway.

01.jpg.cce9b319f4c4315443c2f7b1d13680af.jpg

02.jpg.5c0154bcf0970739faa772e96d0c767c.jpg

03.jpg.d638e0c9e3930516f72cbfc8a0b99474.jpg

The muffler tip currently installed on my bike looks like this. It has a smaller diamter pipe inside.

04.jpg.32d42604d85aaae85ad0d098e7c91419.jpg

1 hour ago, miniRider1 said:

Hey all.

When I bought my DRZ it came with a second / alternative muffler tip (see pics 1, 2, 3). It has a larger diameter pipe than the muffler tip currently installed on the bike (see pic 4). 

Im wondering whats the difference between them? Is one meant to be quieter? Looking at pics online it seems most people run with the wider diameter muffler tip.

Tomorrow Im planning to change them over to see for myself, but thought Id post to ask anyway.

01.jpg.cce9b319f4c4315443c2f7b1d13680af.jpg

02.jpg.5c0154bcf0970739faa772e96d0c767c.jpg

03.jpg.d638e0c9e3930516f72cbfc8a0b99474.jpg

The muffler tip currently installed on my bike looks like this. It has a smaller diamter pipe inside.

The larger diameter end tip will give you better air flow but will be significantly louder then the smaller OEM baffle tip.

It also depends on how the bike was jetted. Stock jetting and larger end tip and you may be running lean.

In any case try the larger tip and see how you go.

29 minutes ago, Ilia . said:

The larger diameter end tip will give you better air flow but will be significantly louder then the smaller OEM baffle tip.

It also depends on how the bike was jetted. Stock jetting and larger end tip and you may be running lean.

Ok thanks for the info. 

Well the jetting would be completely stock, however it comes from the factory (Australian 2015 DRZ400E).

1 hour ago, Ilia . said:

So @Ilia . you mention the wider diameter allows greater airflow, so will that give improved performance? 

1 hour ago, miniRider1 said:

So @Ilia . you mention the wider diameter allows greater airflow, so will that give improved performance? 

Remove your current tip entirely and go for a ride.  The change will be next to nothing, only more sound.

42 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Remove your current tip entirely and go for a ride.  The change will be next to nothing, only more sound.

Ok. So basically the only difference between these two is that the smaller diameter tip will be quieter? Thats it? 

It looks to me that the larger opening is simply a stock tip that the previous owner drilled out with a hole saw.  Common mod to make it a bit louder.  No significant change in performance (it may seem better  but its placebo effect) and no jetting changes required.  Use whichever one makes you happier.

When I re-jetted my E, I left the tip as is and didn't gain much power, and the sparkplug fouled. Then when I drilled out the tip like in your 1st pics, big power gain and no more plug fouling, it was a bit louder, but not much. From what I understand, drilling out the tip on an S results in little power gain, but on the E with re-jetting and removal of the snorkel, you get a significant HP boost... I did!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, miniRider1 said:

On my Aussie 400E, I did notice some extra punch but found the sound to be ridiculously loud. In the end, I change the slip on out to a GPR which has a couple of different baffle options. As I said the only way to know what works for you is to change it out and see. I would be interested in your observations. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AirBoss said:

It looks to me that the larger opening is simply a stock tip that the previous owner drilled out with a hole saw.  Common mod to make it a bit louder.  No significant change in performance (it may seem better  but its placebo effect) and no jetting changes required.  Use whichever one makes you happier.

Looking closely inside the tip I dont think its been cut out actually. Its smooth and looks like it was made this way. Looks like a line of welding running around the inside, but no scratches or rough edges youd expect to see if a hole cutter was used?

05.jpg.bd9676ba045869781c41164aac0285db.jpg

6 hours ago, Dmouse said:

When I re-jetted my E, I left the tip as is and didn't gain much power, and the sparkplug fouled. Then when I drilled out the tip like in your 1st pics, big power gain and no more plug fouling, it was a bit louder, but not much. From what I understand, drilling out the tip on an S results in little power gain, but on the E with re-jetting and removal of the snorkel, you get a significant HP boost... I did!

Ok thanks. The bike has the snorkel removed already. Probably dont want to rejet it at this point. Guess Ill see how it runs. 

4 hours ago, Ilia . said:

On my Aussie 400E, I did notice some extra punch but found the sound to be ridiculously loud. In the end, I change the slip on out to a GPR which has a couple of different baffle options. As I said the only way to know what works for you is to change it out and see. I would be interested in your observations. 

Ok. Ill come back and post once Ive taken it for a ride 👍

Thanks all. 

----

Also for sake of completeness/comparison here are pics of the smaller diameter muffler tip removed from my bike. 

06.jpg.5ccef91bea0e89011e02cf81c17416cb.jpg

07.jpg.9ba784fe0d75fffa399d9f2095be62e5.jpg

4 hours ago, miniRider1 said:

Ok thanks. The bike has the snorkel removed already. Probably dont want to rejet it at this point. Guess Ill see how it runs. 

With the snorkel removed and running the drilled out tip, your bike will run very lean...

I also have an Aussie spec E.

The smaller end cap is stock ....restricted to pass emissions / noise etc

The larger tip looks to be an aftermarket item. As you say no grind marks so its not a modified stock item.

The larger tip will give you a measurable power gain...not huge but its there....I  had my bike dyno'd before and after so I can say that definitely.

The Aussie E comes standard with a 165 main jet in the carb which is well rich so you don't need to change the jetting if you don't want with the bigger end cap.

For my bike I ended up with a Full Yohi RS 2 exhaust system, 155 main and EMN needle. Dyno showed a bit more power at the top and A/F pretty much spot on.

Hope this helps