KTM 530exe - Crank Shaft Seal Issue

Hey there,
I noticed that the KTM I recently purchased had a leak coming from the crankshaft behind the front sprocket and on removing the crankshaft seal (using the correct seal removal tool) that the bearing behind the seal has a small plastic ring that is attached the the bearing which has been damaged (please see highlighted area in the photo). I assume this is what is causing the leak, as I assume that the seal mates with this plastic guide to make a seal and it wasn't that the seal was broken.

My question is has anyone dealt with this issue before? And I assume that plastic ring isn't replaceable and I will need to strip the engine down to access that bearing and replace the entire part?

Hopefully you guys can help?

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0204.JPG

That plastic ring has nothing to do with sealing, there's an oring on the shaft and the actual Cshaft seal that does the sealing. 

• Like 2

Thanks Spud786,
So if I install the new oring & seal you think that it will make a seal OK. Any idea what the plastic ring is for? As I am really concerned that the plastic ring is really damaged? 

I think its mainly for noise, or keeps the little cylinder bearings off the edges of the race.

Otherwise yep no leakage, atleast from there

• Like 1

Those are all simple parts to replace and they are cheap. I bought them all in one kit and did mine quickly and easily.

As Spud786 says. The plastic ring is part of the Counter Shaft Bearing. It does not seal the countershaft. The seal item #24 keeps the dirt out of the engine.

Over the years KTM owners have said this seal failing is usually do to the chain being adjusted to tight. It's a KTM/Husky thing. We swear the chain is to loose but it's not if set to the recommended specifications.

These seals have failed on my '03 KTM 450 EXC and just now on my '17 Husqvarna FE 450.  I swear the chain had been adjusted correctly, but..........

The other thing that can fail if the chain is too tight is exploding the rear hub.

Your photo shows the pivot end (front) of the swing arm. I see wear marks that look like something has worn grooves in it. Are they from the plastic swingarm chain slider?
I know you have to remove the chain slider to remove the seal. Just wondering if your bike had a chain slider on it when you purchased it.
image.png.d11c64a095f2da0ac20a3e0deed40047.png

I believe KTM/Rocky Mountain sell a complete Countershaft seal replacement kit for about $25 that includes everything you need.  The Countershaft seal going bad on KTM's and all bikes is pretty common over time.

I wonder what the shipping cost from Rocky Mountain ATV would be? Utah to Scotland could be expensive.

Thanks guys

I have a supplier in the UK that I purchased the Seal kit from (i.e parts 24,24,26) which should arrive on Tuesday to let me get it installed.

the bike did have a chain slider, but it’s was a bit worn, so I changed it out for a new one.

I’ll keep you posted how things go 👍