Any idea what to adjust the suspension (preload, compression, rebound) to for sand AND what to change it to for rocky singletracks? I weigh 215lbs with my gear. 
I’m not new to riding, just the black art of adjustable suspension and tuning.

First read the owners manual.

Set suspension clickers to what it says.

Ride then make some radical changes until you see the difference, then adjust to your liking.

Go by what you like, your the one riding it not some world champion on the keyboard.

Later George

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

In sand eg, soft sinking sugar sand, going slow is your enemy. You have to stay on the gas...the faster you go, the easier it is to stay on top of the sand. Thus, I usually want ALOT of weight on the front tire. mine's so weighted up front that it takes a decent amount of effort to steer side to side, w/ the front tire wanting to return to center by itself once i let go.... SOrt of like how a street bike feels when you're counter steering. Normally, i go by feel, so i crank on the preload rr spring  but typically, my rider rr sag is probably between 90-95mm.

In rocky single tracks, i'm usually going slower, my line's much narrower to target, there's alot more tight switchbacks, i want my steering light and very neutral. so my rider rr sag's between 100-105 mm

Also, don't forget , triple clamp offset also plays a role. 2mm makes a big difference. 4mm completely transforms the bike. it won't even feel like the same bike as before.

in soft sand, I go -4mm offset from rocky mountain single track offset.

everyone's different, so keep that in mind.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, uptite said:

First read the owners manual.

Set suspension clickers to what it says.

Ride then make some radical changes until you see the difference, then adjust to your liking.

Go by what you like, your the one riding it not some world champion on the keyboard.

Later George

This.

Can we assume you have replaced the OEM springs to match your weight, 70% regular terrain, and riding style? Pro tip: Beta spring charts are on the soft side. 

On 5/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, Motojunkie77 said:

Any idea what to adjust the suspension (preload, compression, rebound) to for sand AND what to change it to for rocky singletracks? I weigh 215lbs with my gear. 
I’m not new to riding, just the black art of adjustable suspension and tuning.

Get the right springs, lower your factory oil height 10cc, and find the 'magic' settings  for you on  YOUR average terrain, by going over the same section over and over.

Shoot for CONTROL, ignoring comfort entirely, at first. Ride it that way for a bit, then see how much comfort you can introduce without loosing the control. 

Listen to the tire against the ground too, as it tells you alot. If you here it skipping, you are adjusted wrong.  The goal is to get the wheels to follow the terrain with feedback to the rider that is USEFUL for making decisions. You can also go down a very long hard-packed trail with the motor off, and hear a lot going on with the tires, hence the suspension.

Remember, each turn of a clicker affects the other clicker(s)anywhere from 1/4 to a full a turn, so there will be some back and forth adjusting going on once you get near the magic spot. 

Remember, oil contamination makes the forks get 'softer' quite quickly, the shock takes a bit longer. 

All the clickers do is bypass the valving. You are introducing more or less of the existing valving.  It all starts with the valving.

Edited by KRAYNIAL
  • Helpful 1