Kdx 250 no spark - pt2

So I’ll cover the whole story with this kdx that way everyone knows what has happened to it and what possible causes may be.

i picked up a 1991 kdx250 engine from a buddy for $150 CAD. He said the bike kept blowing ignition coils and he had enough and converted it to electric. He said the engine was sitting in a bucket of water for 5 years and he rebuilt it.

I found a 1991 kdx250 with a seized engine - sitting for 10 years

i swap the engines on the kdx

no spark 

I checked the stator and it was garbage. swap the stator from the old seized engine onto the one with the bad stator

bike ran, probably 20 min total. Over the course of a week as it had a flat front. 

last night I swapped the tire tube and wanted to take it for a quick ride. I removed the front brake completely as it was seized and just wanted to test the bike. 

bike wouldn’t start. Checked now and it has no spark. swapped plug, and still nothing. I’m going to check the stator again to see if it has blown - would be very annoying as now I gotta buy a whole new one which may blow again as I don’t know why this good working one suddenly stopped working if that is the case. 

any suggestions why I have no spark? If the stator blew, why, it was working fine. 

edit: stator seems fine. Leads on my multimeter are too short to check the ignition coil but it seems that may be the issue. Why would it blow the ignition coil? None the of the electrical is off the engine which had the ignition coil issue

Edited by spezza-125

You need to test the coil and stator per the FSM. The regulator may be shot, but never seen that.  Maybe buy a complete harness from a running bike.  Anything electrical sitting in water is a no-no.

12 minutes ago, Jeekinz said:

You need to test the coil and stator per the FSM. The regulator may be shot, but never seen that.  Maybe buy a complete harness from a running bike.  Anything electrical sitting in water is a no-no.

Tested the stator. It was fine. I have a spare regulator and swapping it didn’t  change anything. I believe the ignition coil was blown, however I need longer needles to properly test so I am going to get a new multimeter tomorrow. I kinda hope it isn’t the coil, because that would likely mean that this engine is still blowing ignition coils. P.O went through 6 of them before converting it to electric. What could cause this?