It happens with the Yoshi too.  You will have to move it away or shield it somehow.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d3b.jpg

Looks like a GREAT place for a sticker Lol.

Seriously, like it was posted, happens with the FMF also.  I believe it is from gripping the bike with your boots but I'm no expert in this field.  Mosko, Giant Loop and others make spacers you could use in this area.  I have the Arrow muffler but haven't had this happen.  Full disclosure, I don't put a ton of miles on mine but will be looking at how to modify and install a Mosko spacer I have in this area.

Makes me wonder how this doesn't happen to more people with FMF/Yoshi full systems and people with X pipes as these are all larger OD than the L pipe (which is the only pipe the Arrow will fit)...

8 hours ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

Anyone burnt a hole in their side cover after fitting an Arrow can? if so can someone recommend a remedy please.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d39.jpg

Adventure spec in the UK stock the giant loop spacer 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

Anyone burnt a hole in their side cover after fitting an Arrow can? if so can someone recommend a remedy please.

You're not the only one, @2wls4ever has burnt a hole too but said it was more down to the bike leaning on him:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1275514-crf450l-aftermarket-exhaust-options/?do=findComment&comment=15330363

As others have already mentioned, other aftermarket silencers can do it too. I've seen a similar complaint from a Yoshi owner (not sure if it was slip on or full aystem).

Edited by foggy3061

Could the burn  through on  my cover be caused cause I'm still running the stock (us spec) icu? ie hot, I have a Vortex coming  next week, also when I get the Vortex anyone know which are the settings for the Arrow can, rgds Stu.

32 minutes ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

Could the burn  through on  my cover be caused cause I'm still running the stock (us spec) icu? ie hot, I have a Vortex coming  next week, also when I get the Vortex anyone know which are the settings for the Arrow can, rgds Stu.

The US ecu will still be on the lean side and therefore running hotter than the richer setting the Vortex brings.

However, even with a Vortex, an exhaust is still gonna get hot and if the side panel is close or touching it'll probably still melt. Time for some sort of guard or a longer bolt and spacer behind that lower side panel fixing.

There are no specific maps on the Vortex designed around the Arrow so you'll probably just have to try them and see which works for you. Maybe one of the FMF maps as that system is slightly more restrictive than the Yoshi (dude to the silencer design and quiet insert).

3 minutes ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

Thanks foggy, I'm going for a longer bolt and spacers + the slightly less lean with the Vortex should help too, regards Stu.

Being in the UK helps too, our lower ambient temps help! 😁

Or you could always add a short piece of heat wrap around the pipe at that point and put some of that thicker foil covered fibreglass self adhesive tape on the back of the plastic too.

• Like 1

Added a longer bolt and 1/4" spacer to the lower fixing point and about 4 layers of aluminium speed tape to the back of the panel test road and all good phew! new panel ordered from Lings, cheers foggy.

25 minutes ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

Added a longer bolt and 1/4" spacer to the lower fixing point and about 4 layers of aluminium speed tape to the back of the panel test road and all good phew! new panel ordered from Lings, cheers foggy.

Good work Stu. 👍

19 minutes ago, hondaxr650rrrr said:

A welding heat shield made to slip over your hand aprox 4x6" would work fine glued to the inside of the panel.

Good plan mate 👌 have some heat shield on order, and a replacement side panel.

23 hours ago, xpantz said:

It happens with the Yoshi too.  You will have to move it away or shield it somehow.

I have a bracket that’s attached to my FMF about there. I drilled the holes bigger and added a few washers and a bolt so the plastic sits out  a little  further. The heat shielding on the plastic seems to be doing its job on the rest. Was just that corner was a bit close to the header pipe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

I have an Arrow and run map 6 and trims at 4/4/5.  I will be trying 3/3/4 same map soon.  I am thinking on map 6 it would be tough to get it as lean as it was stock.

1 hour ago, Stuart Thistlewood said:

Cheers Canyon will do   🤙🤙

Right on! Also, take the 69 stickers off. Chicks will see that and think it’s creepy. You’ll never get layed with those on there. 

7 minutes ago, Canyon 701SM said:

Right on! Also, take the 69 stickers off. Chicks will see that and think it’s creepy. You’ll never get layed with those on there. 

Leave the 69 sticker on, its Nicky Hayden’s #. May he Rest In Peace 

5 minutes ago, Shaymer said:

Leave the 69 sticker on, its Nicky Hayden’s #. May he Rest In Peace 

Oh, I forgot about that. Sorry, disregard my last post.