Is a crf 150rb a good beginer bike

Hello, I'm looking to but my first dirt bike, I'm 14, 5 foot 8 and about 160 pounds. I've never ridden a dirt bike before, so everything will be new to me. I would probably be looking to ride track and trail, as there is a local intermediate track a few miles from where I live. I've got my heart set on a crf 150rb, would this bike be any good for a beginner of my size and height, if not do you have any recemendation for good bike for someone like me. 

Thanks Rhian. 

At 5'8" / 160lbs, you are already too big for a CRF150RB.

Ideally learn the basics on a tamer 'trail' bike like a CRF230F or TTR230 and then progress to a full-sized bike when ready.

(riding courses/day camps are ideal for this rather than buying a 'beginner' bike that you'll sell soon after)

The choice of a motocross race bike also depends on your intended usage,

if you rather trail/off-road, there are much better suited bikes for that type of riding than an MX'er.

Edited by mlatour

If you plan on trail riding (that means: away from the track, which is a closed course), the CRF150RB is a BAD choice because it is LOUD. Very LOUD.

I'd get a bike that is MUCH more easy for a beginner to learn how to ride a dirt bike on. Get yourself one of the many air-cooled 4-stroke play bikes such as:

CRF100F, CRF125F, CRF150F (F, not R or RB), TTR125LE, DRZ125L, KLX125, etc.

They are QUIET, sip gasoline at a slow rate, have very easy-to-use power characteristics (good low end torque), and will actually allow you to learn the basics of how to ride a dirt bike easily. The much more powerful CRF150RB ain't beginner-friendly by a long shot. In fact, just the opposite. It would be more difficult for a newbie to learn on...once you figure out how to start the more temperamental engine with the kick starter.

The bikes I listed are not full-sized adult-size bikes, but I see hoards of fully-grown people (in physical size, that is) buying brand-new KLX110s, CRF110s, and TTR110s that are even smaller to goof around with their buddies claiming it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I know you could ride and learn on one of the bikes I listed above.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Agreed 100%

As an example, my 15 year old neighbor has been riding a Honda CRF125FB for 3 years now (his 1st dirt bike)

While he loves blasting up/down fields at speed, as soon as we ride more technical terrain he soon forgets all the advice I give him.

I've tried all I can to point out his mistakes and, teach him better riding techniques to practice (trail/off-road) but he simply doesn't get the hang of it.

He's now physically outgrown the bike but, his skill level does warrant anything much more powerful just yet.

The next step up for him (if his parents ever realize he's outgrown the bike and riding gear) is a CRF230F or TTR230

not for more power but simply so he's not so cramped on the bike which also makes skill learning more difficult.

Power wise (or lack of), myself can still have a blast on occasion riding his little CRF125FB, making my own trail/exploring

in very dense woods/rocks where I wouldn't dare take my CRF250X which is more prone to stall/overheat.

Edited by mlatour

No, unless you  want to race MX and are prepared to crash a lot while you learn. That is a designed for race bike. Its pretty good at racing. Its not a beginner's bike at all. It also is very compact (aka small) as its designed for young kids graduating from a 60cc or 85cc bike. Stay away from the CRF150RB

• Helpful 1