Lightweight Woods Bike for an Adult

Hi Guys:  I am pretty much an occasional rider and very inexperienced with dirt bikes.  I am a decent mountain biker and have done a fair amount of ATV riding.  I have had a DRZ400 for a couple years.  I like the bike.  It has some mods and has plenty of power for me. However, I am starting to think it would be fun to get a lightweight bike for playing around in the woods. I am fine with a gutless bike (it’s pretty much my chicken-legged mountain biking technique already).  I am not looking to go fast.  I just think it would be fun to screw around in the woods a little without wrestling a 325 lb DRZ all of the time.  

I don’t want to spend a lot so I am leaning toward a used bike.  I have too many hobbies to be able to commit enough time to riding to make a new, $8k+ bike worthwhile.  I’m looking for something cheap (around $2k). I’m around 6’1” and 200 lbs. Would a 125cc 2 stroke make sense?  Maybe a CRF150RB?  What about a KX100?

I’m not worried about looking cool, just looking for some fun.  I love the control of a mountain bike but some days I want to have some fun without all of the pedaling.  Thanks

A TTR230 is just as heavy or, heavier than most performance oriented off-road/enduro bikes at 242lbs dry.

At 6'1", forget either a CRF150RB or KX100, even if you were much shorter they are not the right bike for your intended usage.

Your limited budget leaves you with very few options, 

perhaps a 125 2-stroke motocross bike for could be found within your budget and would meet the 'light weight' criteria but

again not the ideal bike unless it can be pushed at a faster pace, they are really not best suited to be lugged around,

a 250 2-stroke would be more appropriate but also a tad heavier but still have stiff MX suspension and a tall first gear. 

Look for a Kawasaki KDX200 or 220.

In late model bikes, the lightest weight bike best suited to your intended type of riding would likely be a BETA X-Trainer 300.

Edited by mlatour

Honda XRs are bulletproof. For your size I’d say 200 or 250. KDX200 or 220 are also bulletproof 2 stroke options. For your size the 100 or 150 are way too small imo. Also, a 125 isn’t really a good woods trail bike. What you describe, you want a lugger that can also go fast. The XRs or KDXs do just that. I have both. 👍

11 minutes ago, mlatour said:

A TTR230 is just as heavy or, heavier than most performance oriented off-road/enduro bikes at 242lbs dry.

At 6'1", forget either a CRF150RB or KX100, even if you were much shorter they are not the right bike for your intended usage.

Your limited budget leaves you with very few options, 

perhaps a 125 2-stroke motocross bike for could be found within your budget and would meet the 'light weight' criteria but

again not the ideal bike unless it can be pushed at a faster pace, they are really not best suited to be lugged around,

a 250 2-stroke would be more appropriate but also a tad heavier but still have stiff MX suspension and a tall first gear. 

Look for a Kawasaki KDX200 or 220.

In late model bikes, the lightest weight bike best suited to your intended type of riding would likely be a BETA X-Trainer 300.

Thanks.  If I ever get more serious about riding maybe I’ll get a Beta or a Husqvarna (I can’t get past the Beta name though).  But here is my situation.  I have a some land in the mountains (130 acres) with about 2 miles of atv trails on it.  I’m looking for a first bike for my 8 year-old son to ride around on these trails (an other places).  I would like to improve the trails and have a cheap, fun bike to ride around on while he rides.  My DRZ ia okay but I think a lighter bike would be more fun.   I don’t think I need a Beta for this task.  (I could probably get one as dual sport and do away with the DRZ and that’s another option.)

9 minutes ago, WoodsRERider said:

Honda XRs are bulletproof. For your size I’d say 200 or 250. KDX200 or 220 are also bulletproof 2 stroke options. For your size the 100 or 150 are way too small imo. Also, a 125 isn’t really a good woods trail bike. What you describe, you want a lugger that can also go fast. The XRs or KDXs do just that. I have both. 👍

Thanks.  I’ll look into them.  

if you guys have seen the Mountain Moto FX5, that is something I am also considering but would likely have to buy new. 

If you are going to be riding at a 8 year old's pace and, no doubt stopping often 

a motocross race bike isn't for you, look into a CRF230F or TTT230.

In 4-5 years it will be a 'hand me down' to your son and you'll then perhaps progress to something more performance oriented.

Yes, an XR200 is also a good option.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention that XRs are getting a little long in the tooth, so you may want to also consider the CRF230F. Basically the same as the XR. Air cooled thumper that will last forever. Suspension sucks but for trail riding who cares. My 1998 XR200 has bad suspension too, but I still ride it 22 years later as is. 

I have been looking and I am seeing some decent looking CRF230s and TTR230s. I am wondering how different they will feel on a trail compared to my DRZ400.   It looks like about a 65 pounds in weight and a couple inches of seat height. Would this be noticeable and make the 230 handle better in tight stuff?  More fun to ride in the woods?  Thanks

Edited by Father Emmett

IMO KDX all the way. They’re amazing bikes, bulletproof, and 2 stroke. There’s a reason they’re considered one of the greatest trail bikes ever made. They’re getting difficult to find, though. But even the nice ones from around y2k+ should still come in under your budget. 

what part of PA are you in?

If you're going to do slow tight stuff, what about a trials bike? They weigh nothing and can be loads of low speed fun. You won't even need a track for it.

Otherwise a 125 or 150 enduro smoker (if it's within the budget) will be the lightest sensible sized ( ie not kid sized) bike for you. A 125 mxer will suck unless it's a bit open.

The KDX is a great choice (and a XR200 too) but are not as light and nimble as the 125/150s. They will feel like it compared to the DRZ though.

KTM 200 EXC is incredibly light and has good power. I have a 04 and love it. Since KTM stopped making the 200 the can be a bit hard to come by but they are out there if you keep looking.  

This would be a good option if you truly want a performance oriented light weight trail bike. Beta 200RR or KTM150 are good options too but much more expensive. 

XR200 and TTR/CRF230 are great but aren't necessarily performance oriented. Still great trail bikes. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Patrickpnw said:

KTM 200 EXC is incredibly light and has good power. I have a 04 and love it. Since KTM stopped making the 200 the can be a bit hard to come by but they are out there if you keep looking

Yeah at was my first thought, as I have one and love it. I was just thinking of his budget and if you can find a nice one, the KDX will be much cheaper. But the KTM definitely is a better bike in many aspects. Not to mention that, off the shelf, they come much tamer and less high strung than the KTM. 

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1

Father E~

How about a trials bike?

Slow? Yup

Cheap? Well, okayyy, (used especially.)

Fun? Oh Hell yes!

Help you increase your skillset? See "Fun."

Lightweight? Again, see "Fun."

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Norty, I don't know much about trials bikes but I am thinking they may not have seats.  I need a seat.

I did find a bike for my son so I crossed that off my list.  I am thinking a new bike would be for most of my off road riding so not just with my son.  I have been checking classifieds for KDX, CRF230, TTR230 and XR bikes.  So far, I have not found what I am looking for.  I have been thinking of a couple options. 

1.  Sell the DRZ and get a street legal enduro from KTM or Husqvarna.  They have some street legal models, right?

2.  Buy a 125cc motox bike and have it revalved and add a Rekluse, (I am thinking a centrifugal clutch would make it easier to ride technical areas without revving it out all of the time).

3.  Buy a new YZ125X, add a Rekluse, and hope my kids don't want to got to college anyway.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Father Emmett

On 6/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, Father Emmett said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Norty, I don't know much about trials bikes but I am thinking they may not have seats.  I need a seat.

I did find a bike for my son so I crossed that off my list.  I am thinking a new bike would be for most of my off road riding so not just with my son.  I have been checking classifieds for KDX, CRF230, TTR230 and XR bikes.  So far, I have not found what I am looking for.  I have been thinking of a couple options. 

1.  Sell the DRZ and get a street legal enduro from KTM or Husqvarna.  They have some street legal models, right?

2.  Buy a 125cc motox bike and have it revalved and add a Rekluse, (I am thinking a centrifugal clutch would make it easier to ride technical areas without revving it out all of the time).

3.  Buy a new YZ125X, add a Rekluse, and hope my kids don't want to got to college anyway.

Any thoughts?

I think you are along the right lines here.

1. A plated 250-350 will feel worlds lighter than the drz.

2. Could go ‘this route and change the CDI to X model plus a couple other mods maybe big bore.

3. Lots of positive reviews on this bike but could do above (2) much cheaper.

4. Used 200 if you could find one.

5. Maybe a new Beta 125rrs could be an option as it keeps the price point low. Jimmy Lewis tested one on Dirt Bike Test with positive reviews.

Edited by epicride
added info

Also, this may be a dumb question but would the stiff suspension of an MX bike be softened by a heavy rider?  I‘m probably about 210 right now.  Maybe a stiffer suspension would work with my weight.  

What I really need to do is try a few bikes to see how they feel, I guess. VT2.jpg.cec026a323534e99fd99e2d8ff215a52.jpg

Edited by Father Emmett