Jump to content

Athena GET WifiCom Issues

Recommended Posts

So.. I just upgraded my ecu to the Athena GET RX1 Power with WifiCom...

Starts and runs great. Decided to play around with the WiGET app and maybe increase the fuel, and advance the timing just a smidge... running a little lean with the new exhaust. 
 

However when I start the bike, and connect (easily) to the WiFi com... open the app... it demands I update the wificom. Problem is... when it starts to update, it errors out. And then freezes. Rebooted the app, restarted the bike, reconnected. Repeated... 

im lead to believe because I’m connected to WiFi, I can’t access the internet, and it may be trying to download the update from there? Unfortunately I scoured the website, and there’s no mention of it. I can’t preload the software... it doesn’t exist. Google holds 0 answers and the manuals are less than helpful 3 step nonsense with nothing on the wificom issues. 
 

anyone experienced this? 

07B08228-1FF9-4190-B1CA-CE05C2E40F28.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Yes, you must get your update from the internet.

Just do it at home first.

Well, in order to connect the app, to the device, I must be connected to its WiFi. I can’t seem to find any sort of update file on the Athena website... and if I swapped to my home WiFi (I was in my garage) I would lose my connection to the wificom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRAYNIAL said:

You must be in wifi to update the system. 

You can call Athena, you know.........

Right. Exactly. But simultaneous connections aren’t possible, either I’m connected to the internet or I’m connected to the GET. I may have found a way to bind cellular and WiFi at the same time and it might download the update off cellular and patch the WiFicom. My only other thought is that it won’t do it while the bike is running? 
If not I’ll be giving them a shout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, Suaver said:

Right. Exactly. But simultaneous connections aren’t possible, either I’m connected to the internet or I’m connected to the GET. I may have found a way to bind cellular and WiFi at the same time and it might download the update off cellular and patch the WiFicom. My only other thought is that it won’t do it while the bike is running? 
If not I’ll be giving them a shout. 

I can only assume you got this resolved..can you share what the solution was?  Also, what make/model and year of bike did you put this on?  Are you happy with the performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 7:33 PM, RoboD said:

I can only assume you got this resolved..can you share what the solution was?  Also, what make/model and year of bike did you put this on?  Are you happy with the performance?

I actually have not gotten a solution yet. 
I did contact Athena USA and received a prompt response from someone there and communicated back and forth a couple times. Unfortunately he was on a plane heading to the last 7 races of SX and I haven’t spoken to him since (figured I’d better not badger him) and actually I should follow up with him.

He said they no longer manufacture the RX1PWR. But, I was apparently supposed to receive some sort of Y split cable? Maybe to hook the system up to 12v is all I can assume. 
 

I still haven’t had much luck with getting the app to update the wificom. But I have not tried to hook a 12v to the bike to provide power to the system while the bike is off. My last thought was that it won’t do it while the bike and cpu are running. But I haven’t a clue how to do it. Haven’t researched as I don’t have one laying around. 
 

I put the cpu on a 17 RMZ250. I can’t say for sure how the system handles in comparison to stock. I did a few other changes during my rebuild.. and they all mesh pretty well. The system does appear to need to “warm up” on first start of the day. Bike sounds like she’s trying to wake up for about 10 seconds while it’s calibrating, even with choke on. After that, wonderful. 
 

I really do want to adjust some timing and fuel. Bike runs pretty hot at standard operating temp compared to before but hasn’t overheated to my surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Suaver said:

I actually have not gotten a solution yet. 
I did contact Athena USA and received a prompt response from someone there and communicated back and forth a couple times. Unfortunately he was on a plane heading to the last 7 races of SX and I haven’t spoken to him since (figured I’d better not badger him) and actually I should follow up with him.

He said they no longer manufacture the RX1PWR. But, I was apparently supposed to receive some sort of Y split cable? Maybe to hook the system up to 12v is all I can assume. 
 

I still haven’t had much luck with getting the app to update the wificom. But I have not tried to hook a 12v to the bike to provide power to the system while the bike is off. My last thought was that it won’t do it while the bike and cpu are running. But I haven’t a clue how to do it. Haven’t researched as I don’t have one laying around. 
 

I put the cpu on a 17 RMZ250. I can’t say for sure how the system handles in comparison to stock. I did a few other changes during my rebuild.. and they all mesh pretty well. The system does appear to need to “warm up” on first start of the day. Bike sounds like she’s trying to wake up for about 10 seconds while it’s calibrating, even with choke on. After that, wonderful. 
 

I really do want to adjust some timing and fuel. Bike runs pretty hot at standard operating temp compared to before but hasn’t overheated to my surprise. 

Who did you get your GET from?  Also - for the 2020 TPI bikes there is a dongle to plug into your bike which connects two pins and would allow your GET to get power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, highmarker said:

Pair your GET with bluetooth, connect with athena on wifi.   It's a 3 way sync . I do it with my garmin

Don’t believe mine has that technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RoboD said:

Who did you get your GET from?  Also - for the 2020 TPI bikes there is a dongle to plug into your bike which connects two pins and would allow your GET to get power.

That would be slick. I scoured the internet for the deal I got, and it was worth the hunt. Got it for nearly 50% of any other retailer. 
Well, aside from this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Suaver said:

That would be slick. I scoured the internet for the deal I got, and it was worth the hunt. Got it for nearly 50% of any other retailer. 
Well, aside from this issue. 

I asked because, some of them come with an injector re-locator plate and some don't.  Also, the map installed on it matters.  The base Athena map vs a map that someone like TacoMoto or Slavin has done.  The place you buy it also tends to be the first place to get support from....that said, I would have had a hard time not taking the 50% off....that's a heck of a deal.  Did yours have an injector re-location plate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RX1PWR is not a match for 2020 TPI bikes.  If that is what you want to put it on I would sell it and get the latest RX1Pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RoboD said:

I asked because, some of them come with an injector re-locator plate and some don't.  Also, the map installed on it matters.  The base Athena map vs a map that someone like TacoMoto or Slavin has done.  The place you buy it also tends to be the first place to get support from....that said, I would have had a hard time not taking the 50% off....that's a heck of a deal.  Did yours have an injector re-location plate?

Negative. The RMZ is the run of the mill mx bike. It just replaced the ecu holder plate. Came with some zip ties. 
 

I do have half a mind to try and have someone like Tokyo map it and be done with it. I was advised by them the stock ecu isn’t flashable, which is why I hunted so hard for something that would help out of the box as well as tinker with. And a FI tuner without being able to tune the ignition didn’t seem like the best option.

maybe they will give me a hand and flash it now that it’s a GET. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Suaver said:

Negative. The RMZ is the run of the mill mx bike. It just replaced the ecu holder plate. Came with some zip ties. 
 

I do have half a mind to try and have someone like Tokyo map it and be done with it. I was advised by them the stock ecu isn’t flashable, which is why I hunted so hard for something that would help out of the box as well as tinker with. And a FI tuner without being able to tune the ignition didn’t seem like the best option.

maybe they will give me a hand and flash it now that it’s a GET. 

You might want to give Mike at Taco Moto a call.  I know he can create maps for my Husky and KTM but who knows, maybe he knows the best way to leverage GET for your bike?  I don't know what he would charge for something like that if he could do it himself.

I just ordered my GET Athena ECU kit from Mike at TacoMoto last night (the following info is on his site too):  Injector relocation bracket plate, Built-in barometric pressure sensor.  The claim is that it will let my TPI two stroke run the way the engineers designed to before the European emission regs choked it out.  2 CUSTOM maps are created specifically for me after discussing how I use my bike and how I wanted it to perform.  Allows WiFi into my bike to see diagnostic data, trouble codes, tune and modify the fueling and ignition of map 1 & 2. Fueling can be increased up to 30% and decreased 10% with smart phone app. Ignition can be adjusted -30 deg to +5 deg with the less than ideal smart phone app. The rev limiter can be increased up to 500 over stock but I doubt I'll mess with that.  I may add the traction control module later which would override whatever I had built into Map 2.  Wifi should allow fine-tune engine parameters on the fly: injection, ignition and rev limit using my iphone.  They said they would help via remote trouble shooting via screen grab of bike diagnostic info to get me back riding if I have troubles.  Taco received map development assistance from Derek Harris at HP Racing Development. (I believe they are out of TX)

Edited by RoboD
pronoun correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Suaver said:

Negative. The RMZ is the run of the mill mx bike. It just replaced the ecu holder plate. Came with some zip ties. 
 

I do have half a mind to try and have someone like Tokyo map it and be done with it. I was advised by them the stock ecu isn’t flashable, which is why I hunted so hard for something that would help out of the box as well as tinker with. And a FI tuner without being able to tune the ignition didn’t seem like the best option.

maybe they will give me a hand and flash it now that it’s a GET. 

I realize this thread is nearly a year old. Did you ever get the WiFi to upgrade. I just put a get on my 501. Everything worked great. Connected to WiFi and set it all up. It worked great. A few hours later went to take it for a test ride and ran into the exact problem you are having. It wanted me to upgrade the WiFi. I was connected and it said it was running upgrade then froze and now I can’t connect to WiFi at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...