500cc, Hot Rods stroker kit and Cylinder Works big bore kit

Howdy!

Has anyone done this conversion to their  2005 CRF450X ?  If so, still running strong or did you have any failures?

I also want to add a stage 2 cam and Hinson clutch. Maybe a higher flow water pump? do I need a better oil pump?  Letron carburetor? or correct jetting info for the stock carburetor. 

I've read terrible things about the HR cranks and some good things. Mostly don't use the main bearings supplied in their kit, always use OEM bearings. 

I'm hoping some of you have already done a 500cc conversion with great success. Your thoughts, positive and negative feedback will be appreciated. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Kit-HOTRODS-2005-2016-CRF450X-500CC-Big-Bore-Cylinder-Stroker-Crank-Gsk/323778212779?fits=Model%3ACRF450X&hash=item4b62af73ab:g:SDMAAOSwm3ZZt26w

19 hours ago, bobbyloomis said:

Howdy!

Has anyone done this conversion to their  2005 CRF450X ?  If so, still running strong or did you have any failures?

I also want to add a stage 2 cam and Hinson clutch. Maybe a higher flow water pump? do I need a better oil pump?  Letron carburetor? or correct jetting info for the stock carburetor. 

I've read terrible things about the HR cranks and some good things. Mostly don't use the main bearings supplied in their kit, always use OEM bearings. 

I'm hoping some of you have already done a 500cc conversion with great success. Your thoughts, positive and negative feedback will be appreciated. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Kit-HOTRODS-2005-2016-CRF450X-500CC-Big-Bore-Cylinder-Stroker-Crank-Gsk/323778212779?fits=Model%3ACRF450X&hash=item4b62af73ab:g:SDMAAOSwm3ZZt26w

im no expert but ive had my plated ‘09 X for a few years. ive read everything i could find on making more power: big bore, HC pistons, cams..etc. for as long as the bike has been out there surprisingly little interest in BB kits. ive come to the conclusion that most find adding a HC piston, cam, exhaust, and a well jetted stock carb does the trick. (a well running stock bike is a strong runner). i personally have a 12.5:1 JE, ‘08R cam and full exhaust. i run 14/50 sprockets and its healthy enough for me haha (but im an intermediate rider). i dual sport mine and its been dead reliable and awesome off road. 

but im interested to hear what others have to say. for whatever reason, the BB’s never really caught on w the X

• Helpful 1

I had nasty problems with the crank oil seals that came with HR crank kit, otherwise seems as good as OEM.  Ran those in my supermoto 450R too including big track so basically flogged a couple of them pretty hard and they held up good so far.

Not a power hound here for the type of riding done on the X so no input on power mods.  If I need to go faster, I just twist the throttle further 😛

• Haha 1

I did that big bore with the stroker, for a customer. It turned out 511cc.  I ported the head (07 CRF450R) and with a stage 3 Hotcam, it was one of the fastest things Ive ever built. I was genuinely concerned for the customer's safety because I wasn't sure about his riding ability.

On the test ride, I thought the clutch was slipping in second and third gear. It turned out to be smoking the tire on the street. In 4th I stood straight up and stayed there through 5th. It was as fast as my 1100 to 60mph, no doubt.

Thing was, it wasn't light switch type power. It was like an electric motor. The more you wicked it on, the more it gave you.

If one was to simply get the port work done and run the stock cam, you'd have a hill climbing beast, with a power band as wide as the grand canyon.

The port work is so it doesn't sign off in the upper RPM. Without port work, it'd be torquey, but it would rev much.

• Haha 1

For the money I think just getting a late model KTM/Husky would be a better deal.  Even with some port work and a cam, my 450R is no match for the stock Husky on SM track, not even close.  If I were to have to replace worn out bits anyway, sure why not get some extra jazz 🙂

I'll have some info on Lectron carb hopefully soon, have one sitting in a box but the bike is missing a crank 🙂

I posted this question back in May 2020 and this is an update. I just finished this build on my 2005 CRF450X.  I sent the Hot Rods stroker crank to CrankWorks in AZ to have it balanced and trued.  Installed the stroker crank, big bore kit, stage 2 hotcam, ported and polished cylinder head with KW valves, Hinson clutch, Lectron Carburetor,  fmf megabomb header,  new ignition coil and spark plug.  It's a beast!  This build cost as much as buying another used 450, but I have the satisfaction of building it myself and calling it my own.  

20200912_160109.jpg

• Like 5

damn that things has got to rip!! haha...thats some serious hardware 👍